Hi, what scales give an egyptian sound? I suppose that Harmonic minor and phrgrian could do it?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
a scale by itself won't give you any particular sound, it is the way you use a scale with the chords and the rhythm. it's all about dynamics.

however, the egyptian scale seems to be a very obvious answer.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

this is a very common question. try looking up prevoius threads.
harmonic minor ftw.. also if u like death metal try listen to nile ''egyptian-sound'' inspiration
Quote by aradine
a scale by itself won't give you any particular sound, it is the way you use a scale with the chords and the rhythm. it's all about dynamics.

this^

but saying that, the harmonic minor or a variation of it on its own can give an "eastern"
sound, depending of course on your heritage and what you deem to be "eastern" or exotic.
I agree with the others, however phrygian dominant sounds kinda egyptian. At least to me.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
I agree with the others, however phrygian dominant sounds kinda egyptian. At least to me.

I also agree with the others... halfsteps and chromaticism. I spent two painful years in the middle east listening to nothing but atonal smush... chromaticism.
yeah, microtonal scales lol. I would also disagree, I think that scales often can have very obvious "emotions" on their own, Major is inarguably happy, phyrgian spanishy etc. However, these can change depending on the backing or the dynamics.
I marvel at the fact that you play the same scale over a latin santana backing and it sounds spanish, play over a boogie in the same key and your playing blues. The backing chords give the style realy... but how does this work in metal, when solos are almost always over power chords? Are chords still implied?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
You'll be very hardpressed to get an egyptian or middle eastern sound on a western guitar, unless you have like semi-tone frets and shiz, or a very good ear for bending.

However if you want the heavy metal/hollywood version of "egyptian" sounds, the Phrygian Dominant is the way to what you seek. Perferably played over a drone.

Incase you're very lazy and don't feel like looking, its spelled out.

1-b2-3-5-b6-b7-8.

Or in the key of E.

E-F-G#-A-B-C-D-E

90% of the time you hear something middle eastern-y in metal, its probably this scale. Most of the reason it sounds foreign is because of the augmented second between the b2 and major 3rd. This also serves to make the b2 major, thus a good chord vamp to play with that scale over is I-bII. Or in E, E Major - F Major.
I use Harmonic minor with an octaver effect and using notes higher up on the fret board and i get a perfect "egyptian sound"
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Harmonic Minor...yeah, that'll do the trick
Those who call me avatar, knows not what they're looking for...
an egyptian scale, that is actually used in a lot of egyptian traditional music is the one below for example. Don't ask for the name, I got it from a egyptian guitar player during holidays:

the whole scale: (D-E--G-A--C-)

--- |-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12- ...
-e-|------g----a------c-----d-------e--
-b-|-c----d----e------g----a-----------
-g-|---a-------c----d----e----------g--
-d-|---e-------g----a-------c-------d--
-a-|------c----d----e-------g-------a--
-E-|------g----a------c-----d-------e--
"Mum, I think you threw my guitar on purpose down the basement stairs." - "No I didn't!" - "But you did it 3 times this week!"
there is actually an egyptian scale which falls under the category of heptatonic scales the notes in C are

C D Eb F#G Ab B C

but melodic minor(ascending) and dominant phyryigian work well

E--------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------
D-------3h5p3-----------------------
A-3-4-7--------7-4-3-2-2h3p2-33-
E--------------------------------------

the tab here uses some of the notes from C dominant phyrigian
99-------------55--------6666-------44-----444
99-------------55-----66-----66-----44-44--44
99-------------55-----66--66666---44--44--44
99-------------55-----66-------66---44--------44
99999999---55------66--------66--44--------44
an egyptian scale, that is actually used in a lot of egyptian traditional music is the one below for example. Don't ask for the name, I got it from a egyptian guitar player during holidays: the whole scale: (D-E--G-A--C-) ---

That's just pentatonic :\
Quote by aradine

however, the egyptian scale seems to be a very obvious answer.

This. Also, OP, the Phrygian mode has more of an Arabic sound to it than Egyptian. At least that's how I use it anyways...
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by KillahSquirrel
That's just pentatonic :\

Well, the pentatonic scale is used in just about every single musical system around the world capable of melody, so it's not like he was lying. Just a tad misleading

Edit: In a minor key, a nat 3 in the presence of a b2 (otherwise known as Phrygian Dominant) will bring you the sound I assume you're looking for.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 18, 2009,
Arabic music uses a different musical system, but you can use western scales.

I mean, a book written in English or Arabic can still convey the same idea.

Music is of course a bit different, but it depends what you want to do.

Do you want to convey an eastern idea to western people, then using Phrygian dominant and other aforementioned scales won't be that bad.

Do you want to convey an eastern idea to eastern people, then you it would be best if you'd look into their music.

You have to decide for urself when you find something to sound Egyptian enough.

Use your creativity, maybe you want some eastern instrumentation as ornamentation to the song.

Maybe play around with the dynamics,

ie. Do you want to portray for example the life of an Egyptian king, or the life of a wandering assassin through the dessert, or maybe the life along the Nile.

Maybe you just want the sound?

Decide for urself if it sounds Egyptian enough, or w/e you want to do.

Quote by turtlewax
yeah, microtonal scales lol. I would also disagree, I think that scales often can have very obvious "emotions" on their own, Major is inarguably happy, phyrgian spanishy etc. However, these can change depending on the backing or the dynamics.
I marvel at the fact that you play the same scale over a latin santana backing and it sounds spanish, play over a boogie in the same key and your playing blues. The backing chords give the style realy... but how does this work in metal, when solos are almost always over power chords? Are chords still implied?

There's no one answer for this.

Chords are implied, but you need to have experience in musical writing/performing/expressing to decide when the chords are implied through the music itself, or that your head "fills it in" by (sub)concious memory.

Recording ur music will give you soooooooo much more to work with, cause you can listen to ur stuff again in a few weeks, and it will be exactly the same, and you will know if the music "handles" on it's own, or that your mind makes of it what it makes of it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 18, 2009,