Hi guys! It's been ages since i've posted a riff or recording on here. I haven't been sitting still though, continued to record, practice and mix music. So here it is, a new song, all parts played and mixed by me. It's still a work in progress but I could use some feedback!

www.myspace.com/itsjimiwelfare

Thanks!
Writing as I listen: the synth tone's awesome and the production quality's great. The cheeky reverse symbol into the first verse is cool, but I'm a sucker for reverse symbols The compressed backing vocals around 0:50 need to come up in the mix. The guitar tone in the verses fits in the mix really well, and the vocals are sounding really good. Solo sounds good, what do you reckon it'd sound like with ascending-pitch tapping in the outro when the "lalalala"s come back in? Like the bit at around 2:35, but getting higher and higher?

Overall it sounds really good, I think you're on to something cool here. My only other comment is that it could maybe do with being sped up by maybe 5-10bpm perhaps. Obviously it's probably not something that's viable at this stage of the production, but still, that's my last point!

It's genuinely ood **** man
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
wow man. nice. that was rockin. reminded me of deff leapard. sweet suff. singing was good. great riffs/playing. i also liked the lyrics. you know what youre doing thats for sure. this was good. very cetchy. at 125 i think it needs some kind of change like a bridge or something. or just a different intro or something. or maybe play the solo that you start at 224 at 125 instead, and the verse at 224. to mix it up a little bit. i think it would sound good. but who knows. nice man. this was a good listen.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21264912#post21264912
Quote by Yakult
Writing as I listen: the synth tone's awesome and the production quality's great. The cheeky reverse symbol into the first verse is cool, but I'm a sucker for reverse symbols The compressed backing vocals around 0:50 need to come up in the mix. The guitar tone in the verses fits in the mix really well, and the vocals are sounding really good. Solo sounds good, what do you reckon it'd sound like with ascending-pitch tapping in the outro when the "lalalala"s come back in? Like the bit at around 2:35, but getting higher and higher?

Overall it sounds really good, I think you're on to something cool here. My only other comment is that it could maybe do with being sped up by maybe 5-10bpm perhaps. Obviously it's probably not something that's viable at this stage of the production, but still, that's my last point!

It's genuinely ood **** man

Thanks a lot for your comments, this is usefull! I love reverse cymbals too, I use them all the time to 'glue' different parts together :P

I will see what I can do about those mix comments, and with the solo too.

Quote by chasepalmer
wow man. nice. that was rockin. reminded me of deff leapard. sweet suff. singing was good. great riffs/playing. i also liked the lyrics. you know what youre doing thats for sure. this was good. very cetchy. at 125 i think it needs some kind of change like a bridge or something. or just a different intro or something. or maybe play the solo that you start at 224 at 125 instead, and the verse at 224. to mix it up a little bit. i think it would sound good. but who knows. nice man. this was a good listen.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21264912#post21264912

you're right about the second verse intro, that needs a variation and i think using one of the solo riffs would be a very good suggestion! thanks for your comments i'll take a look at your song!
Well, this is very well thought and executed.
I feel the control of intensity during the all track is amazing. I didn't feel bored for 1 second.
The articulations between the different parts need no changes IMO.
The voice suits the track perfectly and is very well mixed
Honestly, I have nothing to crit about your track.
Don't know if you'll take this as a compliment, but it is intended like one : I would definitly hear this on radio.

C4C : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183038
Quote by belpat
Well, this is very well thought and executed.
I feel the control of intensity during the all track is amazing. I didn't feel bored for 1 second.
The articulations between the different parts need no changes IMO.
The voice suits the track perfectly and is very well mixed
Honestly, I have nothing to crit about your track.
Don't know if you'll take this as a compliment, but it is intended like one : I would definitly hear this on radio.

C4C : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183038

Thanks mate, considering the voice, what are your opinions on accent? Does it sound like, european/american, is there a noticable accent for you? Like to hear from native speakers on that one.. Thanks..
Last edited by turinbrakes at Sep 28, 2009,
Wow, this is very entertaining song, it seems to have come together wonderfully. I agree with belpat, nothing to really crit, and it is something that I would hear on the radio. Very nice work, cant wait till you come up with the next song.

Crit mine? piz?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21783795#post21783795
Don't have any crits just thought I'd say I really enjoyed the song, nice work, are you a profesional producer? The quality is really good.
Hi Nogert, thanks for the compliment, not a professional producer, maybe semi for I do a lot of freelance stuff.. but it sounds odd calling myself that because I still work from my living room, with farily unexpensive gear (a good guitar and a pair of good mixing ears makes most of the difference nowadays!!)

To peacemaker, thanks too!

My setup:
reference monitors: a set of krk rokit 5's
amp: '66 fender bandmaster (2x12" H&K cab)
guitars: fender '95 strat / fender '89 tele / squier p-bass /ibanez steelstring
mics: shure sm-57 for guitar mic'ing / rode nt-1 for vocals and acoustic guitar
pre-amp: presonus bluetube
interface: mackie onyx satellite (firewire)
computer: 24" iMac 3,06ghz dualcore / 4gb ddr2
software: daw: Logic 8 pro / drums: xln audio addictive drums / t-racks plugin for compression/eq/etc

However the electric guitars for this track were recording without my amp, directly to the pre-amp, I used the Logic 8 built in software guitar amps!
Last edited by turinbrakes at Sep 29, 2009,
Cool I would like to be as good as this, I would be very happy if I create stuff of this production quality, do you have any more songs?
Quote by turinbrakes
Hi Nogert, thanks for the compliment, not a professional producer, maybe semi for I do a lot of freelance stuff.. but it sounds odd calling myself that because I still work from my living room, with farily unexpensive gear (a good guitar and a pair of good mixing ears makes most of the difference nowadays!!)

To peacemaker, thanks too!

My setup:
reference monitors: a set of krk rokit 5's
amp: '66 fender bandmaster (2x12" H&K cab)
guitars: fender '95 strat / fender '89 tele / squier p-bass /ibanez steelstring
mics: shure sm-57 for guitar mic'ing / rode nt-1 for vocals and acoustic guitar
pre-amp: presonus bluetube
interface: mackie onyx satellite (firewire)
computer: 24" iMac 3,06ghz dualcore / 4gb ddr2
software: daw: Logic 8 pro / drums: xln audio addictive drums / t-racks plugin for compression/eq/etc

However the electric guitars for this track were recording without my amp, directly to the pre-amp, I used the Logic 8 built in software guitar amps!

That's a good amount of gear! Would you say the pre-amp helps in your tone? I've always wondered what the function of having a pre-amp before the interface is. If that's how it works, or is it pre-amp right into the computer?
Last edited by peacemaker898 at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by peacemaker898
That's a good amount of gear! Would you say the pre-amp helps in your tone? I've always wondered what the function of having a pre-amp before the interface is. If that's how it works, or is it pre-amp right into the computer?

Yup! That's how it works. The thing is that interfaces also have a built-in pre-amp but most of the time (with the cheaper ones like mine) you can only control gain on these things. I use the presonus before the interface because it has a couple of extra options I like. It has a tube and a transistor, and you can combine these with gain controls to create a typical sound, there's also some hi and lo pass filters. Overall I just use it like a DI, to create a sound that is 'finished' and loud enough so my interface doesn't have to amplify it anymore. It works good for adding warmth to my vocals and bassguitar, and it's even possible to put a little bit of edge to a clean guitar sound.

Last edited by turinbrakes at Sep 30, 2009,