I want to get a guitar slide, so I have a few questions:

1) What length should I take?
2) What material?
3) Can a glass slide break (and cut your finger)?
4) If I make a slide out of a wine glass, does it have more chance to break?

If you have any answers (or more slide-related questions) please post!
1) It doesn't matter really, whatever you're the most comfortable with.

2) Depends what sound you want - chrome gives a really bright sound, brass gives a slightly duller sound with the same metallic attack, glass and ceramic give much mellower tones, especially ceramic.

3) Obviously it will break if you step on it in a pair of boots or drop your amp on it, but you'd have to be very stupid to be able to break one whilst it's on your finger. Most are actually made of Perspex which is a lot tougher than normal glass. And if it does break, it's broken glass, so yes, it will cut you.

4) Assuming you mean a wine bottle, people have been doing it for years and it's fine - the neck of a wine bottle is the strongest part as the glass is thickest there. It will be more resilient than an actual glass slide.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
i just found a piece of metal pipe at work and cut it to a good length. dont know if that pipe was needed for something else, but its mine now. or at least a section of it is
1. Any length that fits your finger.
2. Just try a few out and find the sound you want
3. Yes it can break but its not likely unless you are really thrashing it around whilst playing
4. Not sure, nevr tried it
Quote by sivad21089
i just found a piece of metal pipe at work and cut it to a good length. dont know if that pipe was needed for something else, but its mine now. or at least a section of it is

this just made me laugh...idk why. I just pictured Gollum running away with the One Ring hissing "It's mineeeeeeee"

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by jcp42877
this just made me laugh...idk why. I just pictured Gollum running away with the One Ring hissing "It's mineeeeeeee"

haha ill just go ahead and say thats how it went down. i got a lot of strange looks, but i got my precious
Glass slides break?

Yeah. I had it happen during practice once. The other guitarist knocked it off a table.

Anything that fits your finger.

However, different metals/materials will give you different tones. I have a slide I made out of a piece of ultra-high rated PVC pipe from my dad's old work. Good slide for mellower stuff, nice warm tone. On the contrary, I have a Dunlop .222 Brass that has a sharp tone, good for ZZ style stuff. Just experiment.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--