I think it's called flamenco strumming.
Used by some bass players too.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
it's a kind of flamenco strumming... but not rasgueado's.... should be pretty easy to imitate
its called rapsguada.its a flamenco thing
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
its called rapsguada.its a flamenco thing

Rapsguada? Don't listen to this guy...

What Jack Johnson does is that he downstrums with his fingers while the thumb slaps the bass string creating a snare effect and a strum in the same motion.

Gotta be practiced a bit, but quite simple when you get the hang of it
sorry its actually spelled rasgueado yes it is.its just not done in the traditional flamenco style
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Thanks guys, im still confused though, all the rasgueado videos arre in spanish or dont show this, and im confused what rallymonkey is saying
Rasgueado is when you strum in a certain way making each of your fingers strum seperately.

Check this video to see how rasguedo can be done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDXkLPuCybU - Especially look at 0:16 and forward, and see how it's done.

On the other hand, what Jack Johnson is doing is just performing a slap and a downstrum in the same motion. A quite more simple technique, really.
Thanks rally i think ive understand what Jack Johnson is doing, i guess only time and practice will tell me for sure though.
If it's rasgueos you want I advise you to read the thread about it in my sig, so far I haven't heard any in that song though. Neither tresillios, so I think you're better off just checking the tab if there is one.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
If it's rasgueos you want I advise you to read the thread about it in my sig, so far I haven't heard any in that song though. Neither tresillios, so I think you're better off just checking the tab if there is one.

Actually, I think we are going a bit offtopic by talking about this technique, cause all he needed was to play a Jack Johnson song...

From what I've heard, Jack Johnson haven't done classical/flamenco or any rather difficult stuff
I can play the song no problem with my pic but id like to get better with my strumming hand.
And ive got everything except the slap/chuck with the thumb so if youd like to give me a bit more help thatd be great guys