http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozh1y7zI0r8

What sort of amp and guitar would I need to get this sort of sound? I'm not looking to sound exactly like it, but a similar idea if you know what I mean. Thanks alot.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
look up his rig, you'll get some general ideas.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Halp? I couldn't find anything relative to the album.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I would guess it is some 1960's singlecoil guitar. It sounds very twangy and surferish, maybe like a mosrite or Daneletro or something like that. I have no idea on the amp though, you could probably get similar tone to that by just rolling your treble up alot and getting rid of alot of the bass.
Guitar with single coils. Try an EQ pedal to boost the highs and mute the lows.
Quote by theslacker

I found those sorts of things, but I'm aiming for the sounds on the first album, and in particular that song, and I'm confident he wasn't using the majority of things on uberproaudios list. Thanks anyway
CuSO4

If memory serves me, I believe Smith used a Fender Jaguar and an ampeg amp of some sort on the first cure album. No idea about the effects, tho.
why peeps want to have someone elses tone is beyond me ......... find your own tone stop being one of the blind sheep and bring some individuality to your music.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
why peeps want to have someone elses tone is beyond me ......... find your own tone stop being one of the blind sheep and bring some individuality to your music.

Because some people like the sound.

Now contribute or get out.

TS, I've no idea what gear Robert Smith used but if you e-mail him, there's a chance he might respond. It worked with Paul Gilbert and stuff when I needed info from them!
Quote by ibanezgod1973

If you'd like to read my first post, I said I want a sound similar to this. Maybe you're the blind sheep following everyone else who just accuses people of being unoriginal.

XianXiuHong, I'll give that a go.

Thanks for the help guys.
CuSO4

that's kinda like a typical post-punk sound. for ideas, check out the gear bands like joy division, the police and echo & the bunnymen use(d).

a jaguar/tele through a fender twin (or equivalent) with a 'verb and delay pedal should sort you out.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

What if he likes that tone?
What if he wants that tone as a starting point?

If we never copied [or based our sounds on] other people's tone, where would we end up? I mean, Jazz, Metal, Blues - they'd all merge into each other as there'd be no distinctly different tones based on musicians in one genre preferring a certain tone [by basing their rigs on others].

Seriously, stop being a prick.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 19, 2009,