I have a 2008 Mexi-Strat and im going to paint my pickguard, and i want to know if anybody knows how to make the same or a similar paint used on an '80s gibson silverburst. i want something that will affect my pickups and give me a unique tone.
First, paint will not change your sound drastically. It may just a little bit, but i dont think you will be able to hear it. And if you want the silverburst, start with a basecoat of black, and then come in lightly around the edges with silver. Practice on something before you do it
R.I.P foREVer
Im thinking something metallic of with magnetic properties. if its possible. if not ill throw the idea out.

could this be the next gameboy soundcard thread?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
If you want to have the tone difference that a vintage Gibson silverburst gives... then buy one. Otherwise, this won't have any effect, especially not on the pickguard.

That said, I think the effect of the colour on the tone is highly overrated anyway...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top (Wine red)
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
EHX Little Big Muff
EHX Small Clone
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
I dont have four grand to dish out, and they fixed the "problem" on the new ones so id have to get an old silverburst, which by the way is alost impossible to find now.
Quote by mmntip
If you want to have the tone difference that a vintage Gibson silverburst gives... then buy one. Otherwise, this won't have any effect, especially not on the pickguard.

That said, I think the effect of the colour on the tone is highly overrated anyway...

wat?

(Eric Johnson disagrees with you.)

EDIT: Dude, if you want any change in tone, you'll have to either change your amp (drastic change), or replace your guitar's pickups and/or pots (comparably subtle change). Paint won't do anything other than look pretty.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 18, 2009,
krylon makes magnetic paint, i wonder if i could use that? probably not though. its not like the fusion stuff.
Not to rain on your parade, but what change in tone exactly do you want? We have no idea what magnetic paint will do, or if it'll do anything at all. It might affect yout tone negatively for all we know.
There's a sort of urban legend that the old silverbursts were painted using a certain paint that affected the wood, and as such the tone. These are also the guitars that turn green when they get too much sunlight...

Anyway, I suspect, since Adam Jones has several of these vintage silverbursts, and poster is a fan of Tool, that more than anything he wants that sort of sound.
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
EHX Little Big Muff
EHX Small Clone
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
Quote by TheWizard42
Im thinking something metallic of with magnetic properties. if its possible. if not ill throw the idea out.

I would think a pick-guard with "magnetic properties" would kill sustain.
does anybody know how i could get that sound you get if you hold a cell phone over your pickps, i dont know if anybody's tried that. sounds sick in my opinion.
Quote by TheWizard42
does anybody know how i could get that sound you get if you hold a cell phone over your pickps, i dont know if anybody's tried that. sounds sick in my opinion.

Yeah, by holding a phone over your pickups...
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
EHX Little Big Muff
EHX Small Clone
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
Quote by mmntip
Yeah, by holding a phone over your pickups...

doesnt help if i want to play something, i only have two arms, my mom wasnt around lead paint when she was pregnant.
Quote by TheWizard42
doesnt help if i want to play something, i only have two arms, my mom wasnt around lead paint when she was pregnant.

im not so sure...
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by TheQuailman
Not to rain on your parade, but what change in tone exactly do you want? We have no idea what magnetic paint will do, or if it'll do anything at all. It might affect yout tone negatively for all we know.

Oh poor duck, going at it all by yourself

I agree with the duck. Paint will not affect your sound one bit. Even if you used highly magnetic paint it wouldn't do didly doodle unless it were on your strings. Even then, I highly doubt the change is desirable.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 18, 2009,
Holy Jesus Titty ****ing christ, this is a retarded ass thread.

Seriously? Paint affecting tone? SERIOUSLY?

Seriously?
Quote by TheWizard42

Retrofit a microwave fixture into your guitar. All you need to do is pull the actual microwave out of an old microwave in your house, and mount it with a 9v to power it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by mmntip
There's a sort of urban legend that the old silverbursts were painted using a certain paint that affected the wood, and as such the tone. These are also the guitars that turn green when they get too much sunlight...

Anyway, I suspect, since Adam Jones has several of these vintage silverbursts, and poster is a fan of Tool, that more than anything he wants that sort of sound.

This, Goolz, is the reason for this thread. Its not like he came up with this idea on his own.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Retrofit a microwave fixture into your guitar. All you need to do is pull the actual microwave out of an old microwave in your house, and mount it with a 9v to power it.

I hope he's not planning on having any babies, and has a good health insurance. Cancer tends to rain on your parade.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by tubetime86
This, Goolz, is the reason for this thread. Its not like he came up with this idea on his own.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Dude. Seriously?
Quote by imgooley
Seriously?

Seriously?

Dude. Seriously?

Should I post MOAR Eric Johnson pics? HE can hear paint, no doubt (He can probably also taste the colour).

EDIT: I'm still voting lead paint. At least paint the microwave with it, I don't know.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by imgooley
Seriously?

Seriously?

Dude. Seriously?

I dunno if that is serious or not... Or if you are. I know that paint doesn't affect sound, but I can understand how there might be an old fallacy about paint on a vintage guitar being so unique that it made the guitar different from any others. I would consider this highly unlikely if I heard it from someone, but not impossible.

Seriously? (To TS)

Seriously? (To guy who talked about the 'urban legend')

Dude. Seriously? (To Goolz)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!