what kinda amp would be good for a college dorm...
i would prob want something with ok cleans and good heavy distortion. and i have, idk maybe $1000 to spend
Last edited by elmeistro55 at Aug 18, 2009,
Depends on genres you play and budget.

Short answer: Blackstar HT-5
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix, anything low wattage modeler. Even a 5w tube amp will be too loud 90% of the time.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
roland microcube, and wtf? everyone seems to be recommending the HT-5...
Microcubes are legit...
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Quote by esp1234
roland microcube, and wtf? everyone seems to be recommending the HT-5...

It's an very good tube amp for the price. Why wouldn't we?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Well, I'll be getting a VT15 Valvetronix from Vox. It's small, loud enough and sounds pretty nice for a modeling amp.
Quote by Nexium
Ive accidently busted my nut.
Diezel

it should teach your dormmates not to **** with you

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Vox AC4. 4watts, but it has an attenuator to cut it down to a 1/4watt.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
do you plan to join a band? cause I wonder where I would store all my gear if I went to college and started a band.

I hate the idea of dorms, luckily most ones in england are single rooms
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by rogerneeb
the HT-5 is just the flavor of the month around here...

Vypyr...

More like the flavor of the past few months
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by rogerneeb
the HT-5 is just the flavor of the month around here...

Vypyr...

Then you say a vypyr? The vypyrs are very overrated and why would he get a vypyr when he has 1000 dollars to spend?

TS, if you play metal get the blackstar ht-5, if you play classic rock and no metal at all, get the vox ac4.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Gorilla GC25. If someone steals it, you won't care.

If you are looking for great tone in a small package without a bunch of pedals, then get a Super Champ XD. Putting a $1000 amp in a dorm room doesn't seem too smart. I also second the Vypyr for a economical amp that has great cleans and heavy tones. Plus they are cheap.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by CullenT
It's an very good tube amp for the price. Why wouldn't we?

Apparently it's only a tube power amp or something.

I've heard many people say it's not all tube.
The vypyrs are very overrated and why would he get a vypyr when he has 1000 dollars to spend?

You do realize this is your opinion and no basis in reality, right?? I have the 60 Tube version and couldn't be happier...which says alot from a guy who has owned over 6 nice tube amps in the past year...
I HATE THESE THREADS. Even super tiny tube amps are too loud for dorms, unless you buy a damn Zvex Nano head. Just bring whatever amp you already have/like, and play that. I know a guy who had a Dual Rec, JCM800, and Orange Rockerverb 50 IN HIS DORM ROOM with an avatar 4x12 cab. He played all the time, and never got in any sort of trouble.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I HATE THESE THREADS. Even super tiny tube amps are too loud for dorms, unless you buy a damn Zvex Nano head. Just bring whatever amp you already have/like, and play that. I know a guy who had a Dual Rec, JCM800, and Orange Rockerverb 50 IN HIS DORM ROOM with an avatar 4x12 cab. He played all the time, and never got in any sort of trouble.

bet he was the Dean's son

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
UGers recommending modellers for 1000$?
Damn, what's going on here.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by fly135
Gorilla GC25. If someone steals it, you won't care.

This. Don't spend money on something that will be fornicated on, vomited on, kicked, and possibly stolen.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by unet
Apparently it's only a tube power amp or something.

I've heard many people say it's not all tube.

It is all tube.

I suggest AC4tv with a good distortion pedal. You can lower it down to one or even half of a watt.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Quote by jcp42877
bet he was the Dean's son

hahahaha not at all. If he was, he wouldn't have been in such a crappy dorm hall. He graduated high school with my ex, so I know him. Tons of people have half stacks and whatnot in their dorm rooms at my school. I've had a bunch of 50w tube amps (laney, peavey) and I've never had trouble. I even had a 250w 2x10 + 1x15 bass stack under my bed with no issues.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
hahahaha not at all. If he was, he wouldn't have been in such a crappy dorm hall. He graduated high school with my ex, so I know him. Tons of people have half stacks and whatnot in their dorm rooms at my school. I've had a bunch of 50w tube amps (laney, peavey) and I've never had trouble. I even had a 250w 2x10 + 1x15 bass stack under my bed with no issues.

I would like to crank that bass stack when everyone's asleep
Quote by elmeistro55
what kinda amp would be good for a college dorm...
i would prob want something with ok cleans and good heavy distortion. and i have, idk maybe $1000 to spend

what do you play, are you planning on gigging?
Too cool for a signature.
peavey vypyr tube amp
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
In my dorm I usually practice with it unplugged or with some headphones plugged in. In that regard it really doesn't matter how loud you amp is or can get because the headphones will be bringing it down. You also don't have a lot of space, so nothing too big and no pedal boards. I would get a small modeling amp. I've handled the 15 watt valvetronix and it should be able to fix under your desk without being in the way and it should do nicely.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.