Hello UG,

I now play the guitar for 1.5 month and I played with the tuning EADBGE untill now. Now I learned from a tutorial seen on YouTube how to tune your guitar Drop D down half a step (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) and Drop C (CGCFAD).

Now, I know from the tutorials you need to tune DOWN your strings (make them sound lower). But is it always that way? Are there 'higher' sounding tunings than EADGBE?

Thank-you.
-WingedBull
There are higher tunings but they usually put too much stress on the strings so it's not commonly done.

There are 'open' tunings that'll have you up tune some strings for that open chord.
Some tunings utilize tuning one or more strings up. For example, open E tunes the 5th and 4th strings up a tone and the 3rd string up a semitone. Open C requires you to tune the 6th string down two tones, the 5th string down one tone, the fourth string down one tone, the third string stays the same, the second string up one semitone, and the first string stays the same.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
There are alternate tunings where you have to raise strings. For example, you can tune your guitar so it plays a major chord when open or barred straight across. Generally though, people tune down for a more gritty tone, easier bar chords, or to reach lower notes otherwise impossible.
This is my sig
^ err it's called using a capo
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
lower, 99% of times a tuning will be lower
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
That's typically done through a capo, as has been said, as higher tunings put a lot more stress on the guitar's neck.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
yes there is

Placebo use them i know that
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The other day my bro tuned my guitar to Drop Eb... Not Eb Standard, Drop Eb...

Eb
A#
Eb
G#
C
F

I don't know why he did that...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
most say drop tune , i do notice when i use to tune in standard tunning my octive would go up 1/2 when locked in my floyd rose but i just read about an automatic de-tuner stomp box, i,m going to check out' ',and as ussuall you,ve got exellent advise from your fellow axe grinders keep grinding!!!!!
Thank-you for your comments! I don't know anything about chords (because I'm a newbie) but I think you guys just said you drop your tuning (eccept when using a cappo)

Thanks
-WingedBull
There *are* a few higher tunings, but you run a chance of busting your string(s) doing so.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??