Hey,
I'm thinking of upgrading my pickups in my fender strat to get a more wide variety of tone. I enjoy playing a lot of 90s grunge, garage rock, blues, and so forth. Any suggestions on what type of pick-ups I should look in to for this type of sound? I was looking at the Seymour Duncan Rails and thought maybe going that route would be a good fit but wanted to get some other ideas. Thanks.

Lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Bare Knuckles

Fender Custom shop 69's

Dimarzio Area 58/61

Lace sensors

They are the ones a lot of people seem to like.
I'm looking at the Cool Rails or Hot Rails also to replace my strat's bridge pickup. I've heard that a good setup is Cool Rails (bridge), Vintage Rails (middle) and Hot Rails (neck). Probably going to go with the Cool Rails in the bridge myself. I play anything from soft to hard rock on that guitar.
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Hotrails are good, but I don't see the point of getting 3 of them, one for the bridge position would probably be enough. If there's one brand for single coils (for the neck position maybe?) I could recommend it'd have to be Suhr. They make the sickest, creamiest sounding vintage-style single coils on the market. 2 things tho > they're pretty expensive (their cheapest models cost about the same as a standard Gibson humbucker) and you can't get them everywhere
http://www.suhrguitars.com/dealersUS.aspx

If you like the way it sounds i'd say leave the middle pickup as it is...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The custom shop 69s or "abagail ybarras" are pretty cool I had them in my 70s strat till I upgrated to hs-3s...if u play a lot of rock look into some of those...they are amazing...they keep the the clarity and the pristiness of ur strat and give u a tad more power...I use the hs-3 in the bridge and neck position and a yjm in the middle....really cool...the areas are nice too ,I think they are better than the abagails for a vintage strat tone...just don't buy duncans hahaha... (Just kiddin...but someones gotta stick up for dimarzio around here...I'm starting to think seymour runs this site!!)
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I'm using the Cool Rails in my Strat's bridge position and I like them, but if you want an authentic '90s/Grunge tone, I'd rather look at single coils. Nirvana, RATM, Pearl Jam - typically single coils if I'm not mistaken.

If you want single coils that work well with a lot of gain, the Duncan Quarter Pounder pups are great for that, they give you a very fat tone compared to other single coils, somewhat like P90s.
Quote by TheQuailman
but if you want an authentic '90s/Grunge tone, I'd rather look at single coils. Nirvana, RATM, Pearl Jam - typically single coils if I'm not mistaken.

That's kinda right...mike from pj used vintage strats with single coild but stone used les pauls...kurt cobain almost always used humbuckers...his blue mustangs had a duncan jbs in the bridge and his jaguar had either dimarzio super 3s or super distortions in it...he used a stock compettion mustang with single coils but I don't really think he ever recorded with it....nevermind was recorded with a bunch of strats with humbuckers in the bridge and in utero was mostly the jaguar....and I'm pretty sure tom morellos main guitar back in the day was a blue ibanez with humbuckers....

Not tryin to b a smart ass but I lived through all that stuff lol....just tryin to help!
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I really like Lindy Fralins. I bought a set for my Telecaster, and not only were they cheaper than the Texas Specials I put in my Strat, they were in a whole different league as far as build quality and sound.
Take Wikipedia information for what it's worth but here's what's listed for Tom's two main guitars (Rage and Audioslave)

Mongrel Custom "Arm the Homeless" - Morello's most famous guitar, and main guitar since 1991. The original guitar was originally made by Performance Guitar for Morello after his exact specifications. When he got it, he heavily modified it. The only thing that remains from the original guitar is the body. It has a blue body with the words "Arm the Homeless" written on it in black and red, 4 Hippo stickers on the front and one large hippo on the back. It also has a hammer and sickle symbol sticker. It also has a 22 fret Performance Guitar neck with a rosewood board and a "banana" headstock, EMG 81/EMG Single Coil (Neck) set of pickups and a Ibanez Edge Floyd Rose Tremolo. Tuned to Standard E.[18]

Fender Custom Stratocaster "Soul Power" - It has a Black finish with white binding and a color-matched headstock. It also has a mirror pickguard, Ibanez Edge Floyd Rose Tremolo, a toggle switch wired as a kill switch, a Seymour Duncan Hotrails pickup in the bridge and Fender Noiseless pickups in the middle and neck positions. It has the words "Soul Power" on the top of the body in silver paint. It's his main guitar in Audioslave for songs that are in Standard E tuning.[19]

I'm going to check out those EMGs. They look sweet on your strat.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any clips of the fralins or bare knuckles? Right now i'm thinking ssl-w on neck for a frusciante style pup, hot rails in the bridge for fatness, but am kind hung up on what would be good for the neck. This is all tentative though. Thanks for the replies so far.

Lank
My Gear:
Quote by lank81
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any clips of the fralins or bare knuckles? Right now i'm thinking ssl-w on neck for a frusciante style pup, hot rails in the bridge for fatness, but am kind hung up on what would be good for the neck. This is all tentative though. Thanks for the replies so far.

Lank

Get the Bare Knuckle Mothers Milk pickups! They were designed to sound like Frusciante.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5fjiqdF7UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8qqorJsNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCypaWeVhc
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to give you all an update and let you know that I went with a set of EMG DG-20s. I think this set just give me a lot of tonal versatility. It wasn't my choice at first but after some research and a good deal at GC for the List Weekend I went ahead and took the plunge. After a few hours of playing I'm really enjoying these PuPs.

Thanks,
Lank
My Gear:
bridge pup - Dimarzio BC-2 (billy corgan pup will cover grunge with a passion)
middle pup - Dimarzio Air Norton S (good all around pup)
neck pup - Dimarzio HS-3 (nice bluesy pup)

EDIT: I need to start reading the entire thread before I post
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah