Page 4 of 99
Quote by barden1069
Wait are you responding to me?

Yeah, splitting the humbucker will cut the signal significantly.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
Yeah, splitting the humbucker will cut the signal significantly.

So does that mean that all single-coil passive pups are gonna be this quiet? Or is coil splitting just ****ty because it wasn't really designed to be operating as a single coil? Thanks for answering my noob questions, btw
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
No, generally single coils have less output than humbuckers, but they're in the same range.

A coil split humbucker will not sound like a single coil, just like 2 single coils wired in series won't sound like a humbucker.

And, you're right, most humbuckers aren't designed to be used as a single coil, though its nice to have the option.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
No, generally single coils have less output than humbuckers, but they're in the same range.

A coil split humbucker will not sound like a single coil, just like 2 single coils wired in series won't sound like a humbucker.

And, you're right, most humbuckers aren't designed to be used as a single coil, though its nice to have the option.

Sweet man, thanks
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
if the guitar doesnt have a bound neck and headstock from the factory, is it possible to make a binding without ruining the neck? i have a jackson DX10D neck, and im curious because i really like the way necks look when they have bound necks and headstocks, and i really wish i could do this to mine.
Quote by haru-san
if the guitar doesnt have a bound neck and headstock from the factory, is it possible to make a binding without ruining the neck? i have a jackson DX10D neck, and im curious because i really like the way necks look when they have bound necks and headstocks, and i really wish i could do this to mine.

I'm fairly sure you'd have to take off all the frets, then route/dremel/chisel the binding channel out, then glue the binding in, then put frets back on.
Basically, I could assume it could be done, but it seems like a lot of effort for a purely aesthetics reason.

Quote by OverUnderOnward
My guitar has a bolt on neck. If I remove the neck and then put it back on, will it be loosened or otherwise damaged?

Everything should be just fine, unless you do some sanding to the tenon or neck pocket.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Aug 29, 2009,
So I have a Pacifica much like this

And I wish to put a push button killswitch on it (like Bucketheads killswitch) and I cant think of a good placement for it...I was thinking like in between the volume and tone knobs but I'm not sure...any suggestions?
Can't wait till i get enough cash to get a better guitar and Amp though lol
How big do I need a neck blank to be if I'm doing a set neck, 25" scale with a scarf joint?

The sizes I have to choose from are (in millimeters):
700x85x25
850x85x30
950x100x50

I would think the second one would be enough, but I thought I'd ask here.
Depending on the tenon, all of those will be fine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'd set the killswitch in one of these places.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Does 0000 steel wool give a gloss guitar a satin finsh?
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quick question, I'm just checking on wood prices. If i wanted to build a flying v shape body, what dimensions should the body blank be? and the neck for that matter...
Quote by SGburnsRED
Does 0000 steel wool give a gloss guitar a satin finsh?

yes and no....
yes, i gives a satin feel, by roughing up the gloss,
no, it doesnt "magically" change the laquer into a satin finish

but yeah, it will most likely achieve the look/feel you are looking for.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by NecroMaster
Quick question, I'm just checking on wood prices. If i wanted to build a flying v shape body, what dimensions should the body blank be? and the neck for that matter...

Depends on the V. RR, Gibson, Jackson, etc?
lol yeah i forgot to put feel like a satin finish

alright cool
i hate the gloss look and love the satin look
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Um, quick and likely idiodic question here:
Why do you have to have a ground to bridge? I know why there's a ground, but why does it specifically go to bridge? Seems like a bit of extra unnecessary work to me. :/
hey all, quick question. is it recommended to replace epiphone electronics when putting in better pickups? i am going to be getting a black beauty and putting in either duncans or prs tremonti pickups, and i was wondering if i should go ahead and just gut everything. allparts, im assuming, is decent stuff, right?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
John: because when you ground the bridge, you ground the strings. You know how the noise stops when you touch grounded metal parts? It kills noise while you're playing.

That's the short and easy explanation.

xxunder-takerxx: allparts pots (they only sell Alpha pots afaik) are decent. I'd get CTS pots though. they're made so much more ruggedly and last for decades.

And yes, replace everything. especially the switch. get a 'box-style' switch instead of a LP-style. they are also much more durable. LP-styles just suck.
I heard the box style (by which I assume you mean this *click* make a loud noise when switching, and the Les Paul style switches dont (I assume they meant the sound comes through your amp, not just being able to hear the clicking of the switch).

Can you say otherwise? I hope so cos I have one box style I havent wired up yet, and would prefer to keep using them.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I have the box style at the moment, and there is no click at all. It might change depending on the quality or something. I guess you'll just have to try for yourself. :/
i was either gonna replace it with a 5 pos LP switch, or 5 pos rotary switch. ill probably go with the rotary.

another question. what kind of pots do i need for a standard LP body style. short shaft, long shaft? it seems like CTS pots are cheap enough on ebay so ill probably just get those.

thanks for the help and suggestions, and believe me, im not done picking ur brain just yet.

just thought of another one. will gibson or duncan pickup covers fit on PRS pickups? i dont see any PRS made pickup covers, and some pickups by them only come in uncovered or chrome, and the guitar im getting is all gold hardware.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
another question. what kind of pots do i need for a standard LP body style. short shaft, long shaft? it seems like CTS pots are cheap enough on ebay so ill probably just get those.

just thought of another one. will gibson or duncan pickup covers fit on PRS pickups? i dont see any PRS made pickup covers, and some pickups by them only come in uncovered or chrome, and the guitar im getting is all gold hardware.
If it is a carved top then you need long shafts.

The covers will probably fit, but I cant say for certain, I'm not aware of PRS' pickups being particularly different.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
thanks. does it matter if it is split shaft or solid if im putting on metal knobs? allparts knobs say they fit both.

but if someone can confirm that about the covers, that would be great. i dont have any to test and they are like $20 a pop.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Well I think if it has the little set screw it should fit on any.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
thats what i figured. i just need an answer on the pickup covers and i can start ordering things !
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

The pickups from my PRS are the same size as Duncans, so the pickup covers from SD should fit.
Box switches dont click at all. They are made much like the LP styles, but somehow last longer.

also theres no such thing as a 5-way lp-style switch.

I've used set-screw knobs on solid, half, and split shafts and it all worked well. the half-shaft pots don't like it much tho.
no one answered my question on page 6 , so i think im just going to put it in this quote (sorry)

Quote by michaelbot9000
good thread idea btw !

im making a footswitch for my orange rocker 30 (latching switch and just for switching channels) and i have a few questions about it

thats pretty much what i did with the switch and mono imput,

1. Do i have to do any anything to the grounding piece? (the third "prong" that isnt being used)

2. Because this is just 2 connections, could i pretty much use any kind of wire/ solder? or is it best if i use the 22 gauge insulated wire and solder that is reccomended for most pedal building
Im pretty sure you can leave the thrid lug empty, although if you want I suppose you could connect the two grounds.

.22 gauge is what we usually use, any solder will work but 60/40 rosin core is what you'll need as it tends to work better than the others.

Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Little_Buster
Im pretty sure you can leave the thrid lug empty, although if you want I suppose you could connect the two grounds.

.22 gauge is what we usually use, any solder will work but 60/40 rosin core is what you'll need as it tends to work better than the others.

thanks! uh when you say 2 grounds, the 1st is from the last lug on the imput, and the 2nd is where?
That other lug on the diagram is a ground.
Quote by letsgocoyote
What is that lug on the right thats connected?
I cant tell, is it a ground or what.
Quote by letsgocoyote
This is how its supposed to be.

Hot = + (tip of the jack)

Ground = - ( sleeve of the jack)
Quote by letsgocoyote
Quote by Little_Buster
This is how its supposed to be.

Hot = + (tip of the jack)

Ground = - ( sleeve of the jack)

haha ok thanks! i think i just have my terminology mixed up,
ok that helps at a lot. thanks for putting up with pointlessness
Quote by michaelbot9000
haha ok thanks! i think i just have my terminology mixed up,
ok that helps at a lot. thanks for putting up with pointlessness

Dont worry about it.
Have fun making your switch.

Quote by letsgocoyote