Page 5 of 99
Hello, what tool do you use to adjust the height on a t.o.m. bridge, there is no top screw on this one like i have seen on others. thanks.
mine are hard as hell to turn, soooooo, should i just grow a pair i guess and do it.lol
oh so thats just the regular way? seems tedious if your trying to get a precise string height without buzzing, but it worked and now my guitar is ok, thanks.
Quote by protohero
oh so thats just the regular way? seems tedious if your trying to get a precise string height without buzzing, but it worked and now my guitar is ok, thanks.

Your action should be fairly similar, maybe a bit lower if anything, even if you have loosened the strings alot.

The real pain is putting it back in tune but even that isn't too bad.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by Baby Joel
Depends on the V. RR, Gibson, Jackson, etc?

Jackson King V. Classic V shape with added aggression. I'm just trying to get an estimate on costs so I can start saving for everything I need etc. Being a student sucks lol
is there a place i can find kisekae with a jackson kelley body?? link please
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
sorry, as far as I know there isn't. unless JCF has a kelly in they're paying section.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
machete spokeshave?

good idea?

grab handle one side, folded washcloth on other

good/bad idea?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ I honestly wouldn't know, try it out on a piece of scrap wood to test first. Tell me how it works out. I have a machete laying around but no such spoke shave.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

i want to do a squier makeover in the near future and i was wondering if i had an on/ off switch for each pickup (3 singles) instead of the normal 5way switch, would i be able to get the normal 5 sounds, as well as the neck + bridge (in parallel i think), and the neck + middle + bridge (in parallel also?)?? If so, would the normal 5 strat pickup sounds sound the same as a strat with a 5way selector?

would this give me something like what im looking for?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_3on-offswitches
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Aug 30, 2009,
yes, you will get all the sounds you had before plus the 2 new ones.

and that would work fine.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by NecroMaster
Jackson King V. Classic V shape with added aggression. I'm just trying to get an estimate on costs so I can start saving for everything I need etc. Being a student sucks lol

There's a template thread somewhere around here that has that shape in it.
IMO no, no-name LFRs are not worth buying at all, I've heard good things about the Gotoh FRs though, and I THINK Gotoh are the ones who make the Ibanez FRs any way.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=gotoh%20floyd%20rose&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if&start=0

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ok this might have been asked before or it might not exist, but is there any website, other than ebay, I can find a trashed guitar to fix up?
Quote by ♣♠24 Fret♠♣
Ok this might have been asked before or it might not exist, but is there any website, other than ebay, I can find a trashed guitar to fix up?

Try craigslist
Impossible is Nothing
What needs to be changed to wire a push pull pot as left handed? Would you need to change any of the wiring for the lower part (no idea what its called, the part with the 6 little things that stick out)?
Quote by Harmonicer
What needs to be changed to wire a push pull pot as left handed? Would you need to change any of the wiring for the lower part (no idea what its called, the part with the 6 little things that stick out)?

Left handed? What do you mean left handed? Turn it with your left hand, bam, done.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by ♣♠24 Fret♠♣

If there's any pawn shops near you they can be great places to find a project guitar.
Quote by ♣♠24 Fret♠♣

Garage sales! Or scowmoo's magic dumpster.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Question: What router bits precisely do I need to make a guitar?

Which one for finalizing thew body shape? 1/2", top bearing, 2" long?

Which one for doing the edges? 1/4" round over ?

What about the cavities? 1/4" or 1/2" ?

Thanks.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Musician's Friend has used gear now. Just look for Condition 3 or 4 ones.

Ryan, definitely a 1/2" bit with the bearing at the chuck. A 3/8" would help as well. For the edges, I think a 1/2" round would work with a bit of trial and error.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
After i put my final coat of clear on my new paint job, how long must i let it cure before wetsanding and such?
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Hi all, didn't really wanna make a thread for this.
1st off, is there an official name for the sliders found on EQ pedals?
2nd, I've got a Dano FnC, I was wondering how hard it would be to change the level slider into a gain slider? I think that's what I need, would a gain slider just turn down volume if it was in the effects loop?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Hi all, didn't really wanna make a thread for this.
1st off, is there an official name for the sliders found on EQ pedals?
2nd, I've got a Dano FnC, I was wondering how hard it would be to change the level slider into a gain slider? I think that's what I need, would a gain slider just turn down volume if it was in the effects loop?

The "sliders" are just slide potentiometers.

The controls on your guitar are what is known as a potentiometer, or "pot" for short.

A slide potentiometer is the exact same thing, except it works linearly instead of radially.

As for your Gain slider question, I'm confused. Do want your Eq to act as a distortion pedal?

It can be used as an overdrive pedal by turning up the level. This will make the signal coming out be "bigger" and overdrive the preamp of your amp. If it's a quality amp this can yield good results.

EDIT: I see you have a JCM 900, so using the FnC as an overdrive can be a good thing, but I don't think that's what you mean. Could you clarify your question.
Last edited by end_citizen at Aug 31, 2009,
Sorry, what I want it to do is to remain at the same volume but reduce the amount of gain in the signal. That way I end up with a 'cleaner' clean tone when I need it. But when I have it in the effects loop the level slider just reduces / adds volume. Hope that makes a bit more sense
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Sorry, what I want it to do is to remain at the same volume but reduce the amount of gain in the signal. That way I end up with a 'cleaner' clean tone when I need it. But when I have it in the effects loop the level slider just reduces / adds volume. Hope that makes a bit more sense

I getcha now.

Here's the problem:

Most gain comes from the preamp. The guitar signal comes in, and is amplified. THEN it is sent to the effects loop.

So, you have a distorted signal coming in. Your FnC will only be able to shape this sound with various EQ shifts and make it louder or quieter. This is because the effects loop isn't meant to add or reduce gain. It is to put in effects that sound better after all gain stages.

What I'd do is use an OD pedal to achieve your overdriven. Then have the amp set to be clean without the OD. That way, you'll be able to get both. You may need to adjust your something so that the volume is the same though.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Question: What router bits precisely do I need to make a guitar?

Which one for finalizing thew body shape? 1/2", top bearing, 2" long?

Which one for doing the edges? 1/4" round over ?

What about the cavities? 1/4" or 1/2" ?

Thanks.

I use Stew Macs 3/8" bearing bit for all the right corners, its important to have a small bit especially for humbucker mounting tab routes (if you are routing for a humbucker that will be seen e.g. with out a mounting ring or pickguard) and also for the neck pocket incase you have no way of getting it square.

Then use the biggest bit possible for any other routing, and remove as much material before routing with a flat bottom drill.

Quote by racman92
After i put my final coat of clear on my new paint job, how long must i let it cure before wetsanding and such?
Depends on the type of clear coat.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
What would I have to change in this: http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html schematic to make it bass-usable?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at Sep 1, 2009,
What size hole do I need to drill for a 5mm LED bezel? http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=94 This one to be precise. I'm thinking 3/8," but I can't be sure. I'm going to home depot this Wednesday to pick up metal drill bits.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Hello,i need help with this acoustic guitar i have on my hands. It's my friend's,and i borrowed it for the weekend. So,i accidentally scratched the finish, with a very long surface scratch,that turned the finish white. Not that i hate scratches, i practically endorse them on my own electric, it's just that it's my friend's first guitar and he wouldn't take too kindly for it to have a long scratch by some guy that wasn't him.
I thought it wise to remove most of the scratch and explain to him when i return it. At least my friend won't be helpless on having a 3 inch scratch on the body.

So,after looking online on ways to remove the scratch,i decided to sand the scratch with 600 grit sandpaper. well the scratch was mostly removed,except for the sides,where it has the "i-was-scratched-and-now-im-just-chipped" look. And from the sanding it has gone smooth, very contrasting to its original finish. Now,i have looked online everywhere and i am really confused on what to do next. Do i buy lacquer to spray on it? I'll prolly just screw it up. I have clear paint on my hands, as i bought cos the guy at hardware store said it'll help hide the scratch,but i have my doubts..

I also have some Turtle Wax (Scratch and Swirl Remover) which i used once after i was finished buffing. It helped alot too,but some posts say its too abrasive or somthing. any advice people?

What should i do next!
Quote by roshandark
*acoustic text*

Best bet would be to remove all the finish, and then respray lacquer over it. If you tried to spray lacquer over just the scratch, there will be an inconsistent finish.
How would I go about doing a cream racing stripe down the center of my natural guitar?

Because that's phrased really poorly, I'll try again.

I have raw wood at the moment. When I go to finish, I want a racing stripe down the middle. I am aware that in order to paint, I need to do a few coats of primer. I was thinking of taping off, spraying (or brushing. Whichever.) primer, and then spraying paint.

Would this screw a clearcoating on the raw wood? I.e. would the layers of paint and primer screw it?

Furthermore, could I just do extra coats of clear coat on the raw wood to even it out if it does make a difference?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
How exactly is the truss rod mounted in the neck? Does it sort of just "sit" in its rout? Does it have to have a snug fit? Is it held in place by something other than friction?

EDIT: Also, how do you cut and drill 3-ply pickguard material without cracking it?
Last edited by sashki at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by sashki
How exactly is the truss rod mounted in the neck? Does it sort of just "sit" in its rout? Does it have to have a snug fit? Is it held in place by something other than friction?
They just sit in a snug slot.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Baby Joel
There's a template thread somewhere around here that has that shape in it.

I found a template thread, but all I found was the Jackson Kelly, Jackson headstock, and Gibson Flying V...
Quote by SimplyBen
does it matter which way an LED goes in?

Yes. LEDs are diodes. They are polarized. A quick google search can show you how to check for polarity.