I have been playing mainly harder rock songs (not thrash or death metal) like Three Days Grace, Nickelback, etc. You know, mainly powerchord type songs.

Well, I was asked to play and/or audition for a band that plays mainly songs that use open chords in more of a softer fashion like The Eagles, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, and Blues Traveler.

I have never really learned or used the full open chords and am kind of nervous to perform these songs in front of people due to this. I feel very uncomfortable for some reason trying to form these chords.

This isn't so much of a "how can I practice" thread as a possible, "I have been in that situation and here is how I handled it" thread. I know I just have sit and work out the scales until I am comfortable with them, but the nerves have got me pretty uneasy.

Edit: Also, what kind of settings would I use for that type of music? Obviously clean channel. But they are mostly acoustic, which I don't own.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 18, 2009,
um you want the good kinda of nerves, if that makes sense
like, 'man...this is gonna be a good audition, i can feel it'
not a
'OH **** i am SO screwed for this'
its natural to have nerves, but if you can practice it perfectly, then then performing it will be easier
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Nickelback IS soft rock....

I concede to you there. I was simply saying that it is a bit harder than The Eagles or Tom Petty.

Anyway. I think I got it last night. I just sat down for a few hours and it seems I picked it up and got the hang of it.

I have to say that my fingers are sore this morning since I am not used to the positioning involved.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
You shouldn't play open chords in front of an audience if you're struggling with them...just pratice a bit more...
...that's what I would do
Quote by cyric1
You shouldn't play open chords in front of an audience if you're struggling with them...just pratice a bit more...
...that's what I would do

I am not planning on performing in front of crowds or gigging yet, just playing with the group of people that I may eventually doing that with.

I am getting there with teh open chords and they are becoming easier. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Don't a lot of Nickelback songs use open chords?

Regardless, they're one of the first things that you should learn on guitar, you'll have to learn them sooner or later if you want to be regarded as even a moderate-level guitarist.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud