Ive had my Peavy Valveking 212 for a couple months now and so far im pleased with it. However, as many have complained, the speakers on it are rubbish and I'm just wondering what the best speakers would be as a replacement. The ones which really bring out the tonal qualities of the amp and are a really good match for it etc. I would be really grateful for some suggestions

Thanks in advance

Depends what kind of music you play. When I had one, I wanted more British flavor so I put in Eminenece Redcoats.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
VK Wiki

Check that out. It has a few suggestions there which you might find useful. Alternatively ask the guys in the VK thread where the guys there will help you out with their personal preferences.

If you're into the metal/heavy rock kind of thing, then a speaker like the V30 (celestion or WGS) would suit it well, there are many other options though depending on your personal music taste.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Aug 18, 2009,
Thanks for your suggestions guys, its much appreciated Well i play mainly rock, metal and some blues. I would probably go for speakers that are more for metal i think. Infact i think i may go for the Vintage 30s. They seem to fit the bill nicely. Thanks for the help guys
Since you have the 212 i would suggest perhaps a mix of a V30 and something less metal orientated so you can get into blues territory.

Edit: The link i posted wouldn't be the best idea in a 212 because the wattage of the amp exceeds the combined speaker wattage...

Here was the link anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFase_serW4&feature=related
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Aug 18, 2009,
Any views on mixing a Wizard (75W) and a Swamp Thang (150W) in a VK212 from a wattage perspective?

I've read elsewhere that wattage isn't a big deal for the overall sound as long as the sensitivity is comparable, but I'm more concerned with how much power each unit receives (as each one is a 16ohm unit like the stock ones and they are connected in parallel, my logic tells me that each unit should receive half of the output power which would be OK for the smaller (?) Wizard).
vintage 30s i'm gonna build a little 2x12 cab with V30s once i get my 6505+ 112
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
Quote by KellyMan
Any views on mixing a Wizard (75W) and a Swamp Thang (150W) in a VK212 from a wattage perspective?

I've read elsewhere that wattage isn't a big deal for the overall sound as long as the sensitivity is comparable, but I'm more concerned with how much power each unit receives (as each one is a 16ohm unit like the stock ones and they are connected in parallel, my logic tells me that each unit should receive half of the output power which would be OK for the smaller (?) Wizard).

Why'd you bump? This thread is over a year old.

Anyways, to answer, in this situation, you take the overall wattage handling of the two speakers by the lowest wattage rating.

So, basically you're at 75 watts. Technically, 150 watts, since it's two speakers times the smallest power handling.

You'll be fine. And wattage rating does matter. Running a 100 watt head into a 25 watt speaker is a mistake. Granted, the head isn't always running at 100 watts, but for simplicity's sake, you want the speaker/ cab to match or exceed the rating of the head.

All series or parallel really means is how the ohms are rated. Two 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohm total load. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms; the rating is halved.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Dec 9, 2010,
Quote by stratman_13
Why'd you bump? This thread is over a year old.

Sorry - mea culpa - i did a forum search and just hit the quick-post before noticing the dates of the previous posts.

Anyways, thanks for your knowledgable reply Stratman