Just going out to get my first bass today...what sort of effects might I wanna pick up?

I've been playing guitar for 6 years and have been playing bass in the church band for quite some time as well so i can play...I just have never owned one nor do I know what kind of effects to start out with Should I start with a multi-fx pedal or just some individual effects?

I play lots of rock and blues mostly but I also play some of the harder stuff (not like Meshuggah but more along the lines of Breaking Benjamin)...and I guess since I'm getting a bass now I'm gonna wanna play some funk as well.

And I have to ask (because even if something sucks it'll get an 8 on the reviews on here) is a Fender Rumble amp kinda like the equivalent of a Spider III (i.e. something to avoid like the black plague?)

Any opinions would be fantastic thanks guys
Elitists and Hypocrites
Don't buy any effects unless you know you want them, especially if you're just starting.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Take some time to get to know the instrument, try to find some bass tones that you dig from different bass players you stumble across. As a hard rock bassist myself, I really dig the Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver, try to google it for some sound samples, it's really awesome for a rock bass tone =)

If you're into overdrive, remember when you're buying bass overdrives you have to make sure they maintain a good low end, otherwise you'll just drown sonically in a band setting.

Remember: MIDS ARE A BASSIST BEST FRIEND! (It's very subjective, but I'm serious!)

PS: First post, woo =P
You play bass now. You're too cool for effects.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
you play bass. the only time you need effects is when you want a fuzz, but can't afford one, and should upgrade your amp first, even though you really want one, have wanted, and turn up the gain on the interface during recordings when the guitarist isn't paying attention to get that sexy drivey grind it gives you, because it's the...

ok I'm shutting up.

*sniff*

you don't need any. you may want some. need? prolly not.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The only pedal I would get as a bassist but not it's necessarily an effect, is that Boss chromatic tuner pedal. That's all you'll really need at first. Depending on your tastes you might become interested in fuzz and wah which you could buy pedals for.
You won't need effects to start with. Master the clean sound then fuzz it up or whatever you wanna do. It's not like guitar where FX are commonplace. Far fewer bassists use FX than guitarists. Learn to think like a bassist then go find your sound.

AFAIK the Fender Rumble is fine. Personally I prefer Ashdown but some people like Fender amps. Just my opinion.
There's loads of effects that not only sound OK on the bass, but make you sound really awesome. However, it's a lot harder than with guitar to say 'right, I've got a phaser/fuzz/chorus/distortion/octaver/wah, now what do I do with it?'

As has been stated above, I'd suggest leaving off buying effects until you've gotten used to the instrument and have a better idea of what you need them for. While a lot of bassists do use effects, far more don't. They're very much an extra for bass, not a critical part of the sound.

Listen to your favourite bassists, think 'what's he using?', work out whether you'd use it enough to justify buying one, then make the investment. Or, if you think there's a few you might like, buy a multieffects pedal and base your decisions on that. The Boss ME-50B is good, and I've heard good things about the Zoom B2 as well.
A multi-fx is great for learning what types of effects you'll want, as it gives you a rough idea of what it would sound like. Some fx I want to get when I get money are fuzz and chorus. For the most part fx aren't needed though, but with my pedal it is also a modeler which gets me some nice clean tones as well.

The Rumble is a pretty good amp IMO, I tried it the other day and it sounded fairly decent.
Do ya'll play Hillsong stuff?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Wow thanks for the opinions guys. I might check out the ME-50B and see if thats somewhere in the price ballpark.

Quote by Hammerzeit
You won't need effects to start with. Master the clean sound then fuzz it up or whatever you wanna do. It's not like guitar where FX are commonplace. Far fewer bassists use FX than guitarists. Learn to think like a bassist then go find your sound.

AFAIK the Fender Rumble is fine. Personally I prefer Ashdown but some people like Fender amps. Just my opinion.

While we're on the subject...what exactly should I be looking at/learning to start "thinking like a bassist"?
Elitists and Hypocrites
grooving as opposed to riffing. don't sound cool, make cool.

lock into drums.

hold time. find out what the song needs to have to keep the mood, beat, sound going, and use it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^That is some of the best advice, especially in my opinion. Granted you've been playing bass with your church for awhile, I'm sure it's not quite the same as a real band setting (though I'm not a church person so I don't know exactly, haha). In any band I've played with I've always held a tight knot with the drummer, which I'm sure you know is important. As pretty much everybody else has said, effects aren't really a "must have" in the 'beginning' stage, but in my personal opinion I love messing around with as many effects as I can to make as many unique sounds as I can. Quick question though, what bass did you go out and get as your first? Kinda random but can add to the thread. Okay, enough rambling, but how much are you willing to spend on an amp right away? Do you want something just to practice on that you can just get by with or do you want a pretty decent 'beginner' amp that you can have fun with at home?
basswise, it is. metal guitar compared to church guitar is a whole different story, but most bass is pretty similar. you play to set a mood, you play to hold a beat, you play to drive the sound. guitar does that sometimes, but it is often used as a solo instrument the whole song.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Final
^That is some of the best advice, especially in my opinion. Granted you've been playing bass with your church for awhile, I'm sure it's not quite the same as a real band setting (though I'm not a church person so I don't know exactly, haha). In any band I've played with I've always held a tight knot with the drummer, which I'm sure you know is important. As pretty much everybody else has said, effects aren't really a "must have" in the 'beginning' stage, but in my personal opinion I love messing around with as many effects as I can to make as many unique sounds as I can. Quick question though, what bass did you go out and get as your first? Kinda random but can add to the thread. Okay, enough rambling, but how much are you willing to spend on an amp right away? Do you want something just to practice on that you can just get by with or do you want a pretty decent 'beginner' amp that you can have fun with at home?

Well I actually didnt find one today when i was looking. I most likely will get a squier jazz bass or an ibanez cheapo. I did find a OLP MM2 bass for somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 so thats an option too I suppose.

And amp wise I hadnt really decided yet either...something that is decent but I know that it probably wont be anything that would be considered stellar. Probably in the 100-150 range
Elitists and Hypocrites
Last edited by CSUTremonti777 at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
grooving as opposed to riffing. don't sound cool, make cool.

lock into drums.

hold time. find out what the song needs to have to keep the mood, beat, sound going, and use it.

This guy has pretty much got it right. The Best bassists do their job first and play "In the pocket". Riffs may move heads but bass moves hips. Groove, compliment the drums and know when to go psycho. It comes with experience. Check out some Muse for what a bass should be doing. Their bassist topped the poll of Best Bass Player on here a while back, because he does his job so well.