Ok, so pretty much I want to be a lead guitarist.

I've been practiceing the Major scales (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) and after that I'll move on to the minor scale. I'm also working on learning the fret board while I practice the scales.

What are some things that I should know?
Don't just practice the scales, practice phrasing. Play a lot of solos by your favorite guitarists, and learn a lot of licks!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by Blckspawn
Ok, so pretty much I want to be a lead guitarist.

I've been practiceing the Major scales (C, D, E, F, G, A, B) and after that I'll move on to the minor scale. I'm also working on learning the fret board while I practice the scales.

What are some things that I should know?

How to play some leads.

pick one that you like and that is reasonable for your skill level. Assuming it's your 1st solo, Id start with something easy.

Learn many leads, and continue to study music theory concepts like scales, chords, ect.......

Have fun
shred is gaudy music
I got a few pointers...

Learn ALL your scales so you can learn how to efficiently write badass solos.

Use the pickup selector and put it in the bridge pickup position.

Practice riffs and solos by bands you like.

Learn to play quickly around the fretboard

Add cool slides, hammer on's, pull off's and whatnot to make your solo sound even MORE badass.

Write cool riffs using scale patterns. Easiest way to appear to be a shredder.
Mix up your patterns when soloing. Don't jus go up and down on a pattern. Make sure its on key and it sounds good with the rythem guitarist chord.
Gannon Bracewell's

Music

Page!

Check Out My Tab's as well
Well I have my guitar tuned to Drop C and I don't know a whole lot of Solos in that tuning other than some Children of Bodem or some mastodon songs.
Quote by Blckspawn
Well I have my guitar tuned to Drop C and I don't know a whole lot of Solos in that tuning other than some Children of Bodem or some mastodon songs.

you could like retune your guitar or something
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Blckspawn

Can you alternate pick fast?
your learning scales.... good its a step in the right direction, but not just major and minor. Also learn pentatonic scales, modal scales, and even exotic scales. Work on phrasing, very inportant. Listen to great guitatists and try and imiitate their stye (Slash, Page, ect.). But. Most important. Express your self.
Quote by Blckspawn
Yes I can.

Cleanly?

Just start by learning some solos to songs you already like.....since you are in Drop C maybe start with the solo to If you want peace prepare for war by CoB.......very good one and covers a lot of diff techniques.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Use the pickup selector and put it in the bridge pickup position.

That's a really BAD tip. Experiment with different pickups. Personally I really enjoy soloing with the neck pickup, but I use all pickup positions actively. It all comes down to personal preference. I don't understand why some people always switch to bridge position when soloing. There's answer for which position is the best for soloing...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by Blckspawn
Yes I can.

Learn the Battering Ram solo then, Drop C, weird stretches, 16ths at 160 bpm.
Quote by srob7001
Cleanly?

Just start by learning some solos to songs you already like.....since you are in Drop C maybe start with the solo to If you want peace prepare for war by CoB.......very good one and covers a lot of diff techniques.

I don't think I could play that solo.
Quote by Blckspawn
I don't think I could play that solo.

To fast? Just trying to see what level you are at to maybe suggest something else by CoB you could try.

I thought the same thing at first, but once you break it down and learn it measure by measure it really isn't that bad.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Being a lead player is not the only thing..
Dress like the lead, act like the lead (on the stage, not superstition), sound like lead.. you dont have to be the fastest one.. you can be one of the best without any speed.. speed can be achieved easily by practices.. Beauty cant...
Quote by srob7001
To fast? Just trying to see what level you are at to maybe suggest something else by CoB you could try.

I thought the same thing at first, but once you break it down and learn it measure by measure it really isn't that bad.

yea I think any CoB solo sould be to fast for me to play. I looked at the Mastadons Blood and Thunder solo and I think I could play that.
Well, you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, just learn them at a slower pace and build up to the correct speed.

Not really into Mastadon but I hear they aren't too hard to play.

I sarted by learning some Alice in Chains solos, not to hard, a little bluesy, but still very minor and sad sounding, which is what I like. I always recommend AIC to people looking to get into being a lead guitarist, if you like AIC that is.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Well, you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, just learn them at a slower pace and build up to the correct speed.

Not really into Mastadon but I hear they aren't too hard to play.

I sarted by learning some Alice in Chains solos, not to hard, a little bluesy, but still very minor and sad sounding, which is what I like. I always recommend AIC to people looking to get into being a lead guitarist, if you like AIC that is.

I'm not a big fan of AIC and I want to find a solo in Drop c so I can practice that and get a feel for the scales in that tuneing.
Quote by Blckspawn
I'm not a big fan of AIC and I want to find a solo in Drop c so I can practice that and get a feel for the scales in that tuneing.

Dude, dude, dude...

Ok, we are at the epic misconception here again that scales are differnt in different standard/drop tunings.

The only thing that changes is the low E string which you probably won't be using alot in solos.

The scales stay the same, the intervals stay the same, the notes stay the same, the patterns stay the same, etc.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, dude, dude...

Ok, we are at the epic misconception here again that scales are differnt in different standard/drop tunings.

The only thing that changes is the low E string which you probably won't be using alot in solos.

The scales stay the same, the intervals stay the same, the notes stay the same, the patterns stay the same, etc.

so your telling me that I could play any solo that i like, but I would just have to move it over a couple of frets?
Quote by Blckspawn
so your telling me that I could play any solo that i like, but I would just have to move it over a couple of frets?

Yes, the notes that that solo consists of do not magically disappear.

It is however advisable to match up your tuning with the song due to open strings.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yes, the notes that that solo consists of do not magically disappear.

It is however advisable to match up your tuning with the song due to open strings.

well then what solos would be good for someone like me to play?
Quote by Blckspawn
well then what solos would be good for someone like me to play?

If you're in Drop C and can Alternate pick well, try Battering Ram, Demise Of Sanity and Bleed For Me by BLS.