Evening!

Got one query, I am struggling to get a nice clean tone on my Gibson as I would with my Fender.

My rig is connected as follows:

Gibson > Wah pedal > EQ pedal > Chorus/Echo pedal > OD pedal > Amp - Any advice? I've played around with amp and pedals but to no avail.

Also, when the guitar isn't in use but everythings plugged in and switched on, this hum frequency sound appears and gets louder and louder until I touch a guitar string. Any advice there?

I'm thinking of replacing the standard Gibson strings with Ernie Ball strings.

Let me know if I should mention my amp/pedal settings...?

Thanks in advance!

-GG
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah Pedal
H2O Liquid Chorus/Echo Pedal
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
Quote by G|_|itarGod

Also, when the guitar isn't in use but everythings plugged in and switched on, this hum frequency sound appears and gets louder and louder until I touch a guitar string. Any advice there?

Feedback, or grounding issues.

Try standing away from your amp.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The Gibson is going to sound less snappy and spanky just because they are two different guitars, made of different woods, different construction, etc. The Gibson should sound darker and deeper than the Fender. Honestly I would describe many Gibsons as being a bit muddy even but I like that about them. Can you be more descriptive about the cleanness problem? Are you getting distortion when you play or there just isn't as much note definition or what? Strings shouldn't have a huge affect on this either way.
Last edited by fretz86 at Aug 18, 2009,
You're probably like me and prefer the clean tones of single coils better than humbuckers. Maybe try rolling off the volume when playing clean, as you might be getting a slight overdrive from the pickups. The hum sounds like a grounding issue, but I don't know how to fix that on a non-Strat.
Quote by Alex Vik
You're probably like me and prefer the clean tones of single coils better than humbuckers. Maybe try rolling off the volume when playing clean, as you might be getting a slight overdrive from the pickups. The hum sounds like a grounding issue, but I don't know how to fix that on a non-Strat.

This.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
When I play, I'm about 2 meters (6'6") away from my amp...shouldn't that suffice? Would a noise reduce help in this case maybe?

Well, say I play a chord on my Fender - I can hear each note being strummed per say. When I play a chord on my Gibson - I can't hear it that well, I don't know the correct descriptive word to describe it but its far from clean, maybe a bit too distorted?
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
You're changing the EQ when you go from the Fender to the Gibson right? Also check the distance between your strings and the pickups. Too close and you're gonna get a muddy sound, I think the general measurement is 4mm? Guessing there but I brought mine down a bit when I first got my Les Paul.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
U might as well change the strings to some non guitar making brand...seems like fender and gibson don't have eough quality left over after making their guiatsr to carry over to there strings lol....I agree with all previous posts though...a stock fender is a fender and a stock gibson is a gibson...its like apples and oranges their never gonna sound alike stock...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
U might as well change the strings to some non guitar making brand...seems like fender and gibson don't have eough quality left over after making their guiatsr to carry over to there strings lol....I agree with all previous posts though...a stock fender is a fender and a stock gibson is a gibson...its like apples and oranges their never gonna sound alike stock...

Truth.

Your issue is grounding and/or poor shielding. What you do is that you dress the inside of your cavity with tinfoil and connect it to ground. Yes, I'm serious. Gets rid of lots of the hum.

Oh, and the fender bullets are kick-ass strings imo. i love them.
If you're going to mess around with strings try shopping around. I use D'Addrio and I prefer them to Earnie Ball strings. However, There are lots of other strings out there that I haven't tried.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
It sounds like you're just not used to the core tone differences between a Fender instrument and a Gibson instrument.
Fenders tend to be made of much brighter-toned woods with bolt-on necks and in the case of Strats they'll have vibrato bridges too, and of course they mostly use singlecoil pickups.
Gibsons tend to be made not only of much thicker-toned woods but also their guitars tend to have more sheer woodmass too, they'll have set necks and hardtail bridges, plus of course they nearly always use humbuckers.

The problems you're talking about - such as being able to hear every note of a chord on the Fender and it being one droning sound on the Gibson - are completely normal and are to be expected.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I think the issue is that I've just grown accustomed to Fenders clean sound...its going to take a while getting used to Gibsons version of it I suppose. Thanks dudes.
Takamine G-115 Flamenco
Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
MXR M108 10 Band EQ
First of all, your setup is brilliant. A lot of people might not agree with me because there are quite a few Fender/Gibson haters on here, but I love it.

For your hum problem, I would recommend the tin foil method, and the lazy man's way out: a noise gate. Lol, not really lazy, in fact, I would get one even with the tin foil, to clear away any excess hum.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...