Guys i was actually wondering how will a band (with 2 guitarists) who harmonizes guitars but also have rythm on the background do it on the stage... I mean it's overdubbed in teh studiozZZ.. but.. ok like the band Avenged Sevenfold does the technique a lot but i havent ever seen them gigging so... anexample of the way they do woould be nice too
Quote by Shadow1121
1 guitarist do rhythm, 1 do the solo.

A Harmonizer Pedal.

This or the bassist will just take over rythm duties while they are harmonizing together.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
why would you wanna sound like avenged sevenfold?!!?!?!

ok ok, to each his own

i know metallica rearrange songs, for example in master of puppets in the bridge they omit the rhythm guitar and do both leads over the bass.
I dont want to sound like Sevenfold their songs were jsut a good example of what I meant.. i wondered how they do em on stage... I just coudnt think of any other example for the moment...

so what's the harmonizer pedal.. something like when you give him the Key you are playing in, the scale and the interval of the note you want him to play???
Yes, that's exactly it. Choosing the scale and interval and it plays it along with you automatically.

I'm pretty sure Boss makes a Harmonizer pedal.
One Of The Last American Leftys.

Also A Peavey VK Owner!

Quote by Fiire
I've been mauled, tortured by the most fierce animals in the whole Animalia Kingdom.
Women.
Last edited by Shadow1121 at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny
i know metallica rearrange songs, for example in master of puppets in the bridge they omit the rhythm guitar and do both leads over the bass.

in flames tend to do the same thing live as well, just give the bassist a beefier tone and go nuts with the harmony guitars (most obvious examples I can think of are Clayman and Ordinary Story)
Last edited by seljer at Aug 18, 2009,
^ yeah, i was gonna suggest maybe some fuzz or light gain/distortion for the bass.

the only reason i don't recommend a harmonizer pedal is because you're limited to having to make your solo be in a single specific harmony (ie 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths etc) and you can't say have guitars do 3rds for one part, 5ths for another and 6ths for another. the whole solo would have to be written in specific harmony and personally i'm not all about being limited with my music.

that being said if you were going to just do 3rds for the whole song then a harmonizer pedal would work.
Last edited by z4twenny at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny

some of the tracks on ride the lightning seem to have been done this way in the studio, with both guitars playing lead, and the bass carrying rhythm alone with a bit of light distortion.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
Guys i was actually wondering how will a band (with 2 guitarists) who harmonizes guitars but also have rythm on the background do it on the stage... I mean it's overdubbed in teh studiozZZ.. but.. ok like the band Avenged Sevenfold does the technique a lot but i havent ever seen them gigging so... anexample of the way they do woould be nice too

My band does harmonies all the time, we just play the harmony lines and let the bass takeover the rhythm for us. It should sound just fine
or if you have a keys player with a strong left hand he can handle it too
Quote by MRavioli
oh man oh man oh man. RACER ****ING X

Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet were harmonizing pros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EA9k-zhFZc

for the stuff they did, they practiced for HOURS before the show to get everything in sync.

Totally irrelevant to TS's question.

He wants to know about the drop in sound when the rhythm guitar goes lead.

To TS;

A Harmonizer pedal would only work if you harmonize using only 3rd, only 4th's, only 5th's etc.

Some bands use a pre recording to hit in, and other bands have people backstage.

Like said earlier in the thread, The bass can take over if you add in a bit of gain/volume to compensate.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If you have a decent rhythm section and everyone keeps tight nobody's even going to notice the lack of a rhythm player - how do you think 3-piece bands get by?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hmm well agrreed about all the things said...
Yeah ive tried those harmonizer pedals before.. but i dont like the limitations they put on... Really... but not bad for some parts....
hmm well yeah i think bass carrying the rhythm is the best way.. also you can double it
's signal to have both heavy distortion and clean bass as well
If the riff before the solo is the same as the riff during the solo or harmony part you can always loop that riff with a pedal and just have the loop play while you and your buddie knock out the guitars harmony part
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
stay away from those eventide useless Steve Vai harmonizer sounds. makes all guitarist look like fools whenever someone starts using one of those POS.
The band I'm in has a 3 guitarists. During all the songs there are two guitars playing leads over the rhythm guitar.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
or prerecord the loop and then just put on the recording during the solo.. though in this case the tempo can differe and... Smash!!! THe Soft Tomato on your face.. .:p

while using a loop pedal / delay would be awesome that would require a lot of practice to nail consistently
Quote by Damius
stay away from those eventide useless Steve Vai harmonizer sounds. makes all guitarist look like fools whenever someone starts using one of those POS.

What are you talking about? The eventide is one of the best harmonizers on the market....there is a reason that everyone from Zepplin in the 70's to Vai has been using them.

I would give my left testicle (its my bigger one) to get an Eventide harmonizer.

Have you even ever used one or messed around with one before?
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Not related to the TS question BUT it always sounds so funny when guitar players harmonize live on stage and they are slightly off. It sounds so bad!
Just harmonize it like you would if there was a 3rd guitar. The rhythm guitar is just extra anyway, the bass can handle it. And make sure you tune your guitars very very precisely! Harmonizing when someone's out of tune is hell.
Quote by z4twenny

this

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
the eventide sounds so fake
being a little off is what makes real harmonies sound so great
Quote by Damius
the eventide sounds so fake
being a little off is what makes real harmonies sound so great

Sometimes...when the artist wants it to sound that why. The eventide is a very adjustable harmonizer, unlike a lot of others ones I have messed around with.

If you ever get to use one you will understand.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
It sounds like they cost a lot of money too. I just dont care for that Vai eventide/passion and warfare sound. Gets on my nerves. I will have to try one out soon.
Quote by Damius
It sounds like they cost a lot of money too. I just dont care for that Vai eventide/passion and warfare sound. Gets on my nerves. I will have to try one out soon.

He used like 4 different eventide harmonizers on that album. On the ballarina song he used one that was a 6th off, and another that was a 4th off of the original guitar. Get some wild sounds doing that kind of thing. Some like, some don't.

yea, if you ever see one and can try it deff do. The only one I have even ever seen was the one my buddies dad had back when I was in high school. Have never seen one since in any stores.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Playing bass I love it when the rhythm guitar drops out for the solo (We only have one guitarist, so no harmonies), because it allows me to do alot more with my bass. Harmonizing would work the exact same, only both guitarists would do the lead, while I still get to have my fun going crazy on bass.
If it's an easy harmony bit, you might be able to play both parts on your own
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
If it's an easy harmony bit, you might be able to play both parts on your own

This can often sound horrible with distortion...
www.myspace.com/valour (like A7X)

I saw these guys and when they do it, as they do it quite a bit, the bass took over the rhythm guitar duty and thats how they did it.

From what ive heard that seems like the best way to do it as well.