so im thinking of taking uo bass, ive played guitar for a few years and would like to try something new (still playing guitar of course).

so ive been thinking of getting an epiphone thunderbird pro.
but i dont know if i should be buying the 4 or 5 string version.

the kind of music id be playing would be bands like system of a down, korn, slipknot disturbed etc.

so would a 5 string be right for me?
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
I wouldn't start on a T-bird. your mistakes are easy to cover up on such a muddy instrument.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
but its so beautiful!! :0

any reccomendations then? i was going to get that thunderbird because i know damn well i wont play it and decide its not for me and stop lol, so i wanted to get one that would last me a long time

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Epiphone does guitars pretty well, but for bass, you should leave them on the shelf.

I would go with an Ibanez SR305, maybe a Traben Array, and if you want to really get a good amp without going bad on the bass, an Ibanez GSR206 would also be good.

you want something about 500. wish my starter budget was like that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

well i intend to buy it far into the future i was going to save my ass off lol

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
oh. just get the 206, 205, or 200, there is waiting, and there is playing. you'll become a better player if you aren't waiting the whole time. what amp you planning on getting? you'll need one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i dunno i was gonna have a look around, what would you reccomend?

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Peavey, Ashdown, Acoustic, and Hartke have fans. avoid Behringer you'll probably be ok.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i generally avoid behringer like the plague, before i learnt about brands etc i bought a behringer wah... my god... bad times XD

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
at least it was just a wah...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Believe me. You do not want the T-Bird. They're the equivalent of the Line6 Spider III here. If you want muddy tone, a heavy instrument and no access to frets 15-20 then go right ahead.

Try both a 5 and 4 and see what you feel comfortable with. You're only gonna know once you start playing a few. If you're in to metal then try some low-mid range Ibanez' and maybe some ESP's or Yamaha's. All those offer 4 and 5 strings with the sound you're looking for.

As for Amps, as said above avoid Behringer. I recommend ashdown but that's because i'm biased! Hartke, Laney and a few others all have fans.
so is the t-bird really that disliked?? i was thinking if its good enough for shavo its good enough for me ^^'

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Quote by sylphin
so is the t-bird really that disliked?? i was thinking if its good enough for shavo its good enough for me ^^'

BIG difference between Gibson and Epiphone. Gibsons have their problems and are easily disliked, while epiphones are plain bad.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 19, 2009,
well obviously yo guys would know more about this than me but from the specs ive been reading that thunderbird pro looks pretty damn awesome!
why the hell would the only bass ive ever seen that i actually LIKE be a piece of junk >.< karma is such a bitch!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
The problems are:
Heavy
Neck-dive lika a biatch
Muddy pickups with one real tone
terrible fret access
epiphone quality and QC

EDIT: there's also a thunderbird only thread where it is discussed and some people who like them give opinions etc. That might help you decide.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 19, 2009,
To be fair I think these guys are being a tad harsh. The Thunderbird Pro looks like a solid instrument, and until you've played one I hardly think its fair to Bash them.

But, then, I suppose it could be said, until you play one you can't support it either.

Which therefore makes my comment null and void
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
XD well since ill be taking up bass as a secondary instrument, i think ill go for the thunderbird bass.

one mans trash is another mans treasure? rofl

but thanks for all the input and help guys who knows maybe ill loathe the thing and come crawling back and buy an ibanez instead. or maybe ill love it.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
TS is banned anyway
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Steve08
The Tbird Pro is a lot different than the normal Tbird, the primary changes are basically active pickups, new bridge and neck-thru as opposed to bolt-on IIRC.

You forgot active electronics and brighter tone wood. Neck dive aside it sounds like a pretty nice instrument.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.