Hey all, I'm looking to get a Land/Range Rover to mess around with for a couple years (I'm a college Junior). I'd like to do a lot of camping/fishing/mudding/going wherever the F I want). Looking to buy a used one for cheap. Anybody have experience with a decently reliable year or make?

Please no replies that say.."Land Rover and Reliability don't go in the same sentence..or page." Thanks asshole..make another suggestion then.

Anyway..hit me with some ideas. Thanks.
Last edited by GuitarGuy2387 at Aug 18, 2009,
Get a beaten up, crushing, Land Rover Defender. Preferably ex Army.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
May i suggest going with something like a Nissan Pathfinder...not only do they built to offroad, they have plenty of room like the Land/Range Rover and you can definately find one used for cheap
Land Rover and Reliability don't go in the same sentence..or page.
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
See if you can find one of these Defenders at an Army auction when they're discharged.

Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Not many old LR's will be that reliable, but i'd advise a defender 110 probably. My guess is it's easier to fix a problem on one of those than a series I/II disco'
I wouldn't recommend one if you're actually using it for off roading. Too expensive for offroading and the like. The best cheap off roading car I'd go with is a Jeep Wrangler. The problem is that most SUV type cars are very top heavy so they tend to tip. A friend of mine solved this by modding a Beetle (I'd assume any car would work) with a roll cage and Mud tires and a lift kit, other parts I'm not thinking of to make it a good offroad vehicle.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
I wouldn't recommend one if you're actually using it for off roading.

LOL- isnt that what its supposed to be for and appearently the only thing it does well? Besides suck cash?

You have a pic of that modded beetle btw?
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
LOL- isnt that what its supposed to be for and appearently the only thing it does well? Besides suck cash?

You have a pic of that modded beetle btw?

No I don't. Most of the time I've just seen them used by people to look cool, kind of like the Hummer, there upper class cars really.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/ozzie-ollie/baja_blue_vw_beetle.jpg This is kind of where he got the idea, not this one exactly but he heard of them before, they're called Baja Beetles
Last edited by tayroar at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by tayroar
I wouldn't recommend one if you're actually using it for off roading. Too expensive for offroading and the like. The best cheap off roading car I'd go with is a Jeep Wrangler. The problem is that most SUV type cars are very top heavy so they tend to tip. A friend of mine solved this by modding a Beetle (I'd assume any car would work) with a roll cage and Mud tires and a lift kit, other parts I'm not thinking of to make it a good offroad vehicle.

A deffender? An all time great at offroading? The only thing it's good at? All offroaders drink offroad? Wranglers have like 4.0L engines? That's much more than a LR?
Quote by vitchb
A deffender? An all time great at offroading? The only thing it's good at? All offroaders drink offroad? Wranglers have like 4.0L engines? That's much more than a LR?

I haven't heard of the Defender I was just referring to most of the Land or Range Rovers I see on the street and those are usually more of like a soccer mom SUV, I was just suggesting a Wrangler due to it being cheap.
Quote by tayroar
I haven't heard of the Defender I was just referring to most of the Land or Range Rovers I see on the street and those are usually more of like a soccer mom SUV, I was just suggesting a Wrangler due to it being cheap.

Ah right, well even the big discoveries and rangerovers despite mainly being driven by mums, are actually awesome offroad.
However in the UK, wranglers aren't at all cheap.

Oh, TS is in US? Hmm, i wouldn't get a landrover unless you found a good deal.
Quote by vitchb
Ah right, well even the big discoveries and rangerovers despite mainly being driven by mums, are actually awesome offroad.
However in the UK, wranglers aren't at all cheap.

Oh well I live in the US and the Wrangler X's are really cheap, I mean it depends on which one you get.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Don't.

In your interests - You'll look like a jackass, you don't need one, you'll waste a fortune on gas.

College junior in a Landrover.

hahah. It would also have a ton of room to store all my ****. my cab, two guitars, pa system ect...

i dunno, they are fun to drive..if I can get one cheap it could be fun.
I think Land Rover is a pretty cool guy, eh doesn't belong on the same page as reliability and doesn't afraid of anything
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
Been reading around..seems like the most "reliable" year was the '03. For that year BMW oversaw manufacturing..I'll possibly look into a Disco II or something like that if I can find a good deal.
dont. you wont be able to afford running a 2 litre or more in college.
plus it will be in the garage every other week.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Last edited by munkymanmatt at Aug 18, 2009,
Appearently the '03s are decently reliable..as long as I can get one under 100k miles and in good condition. Gas isnt a problem, its a short drive around town (atlanta) and I'll be splitting gas when we go up north to mess around.
Defenders don't depreciate in price after time as opposed to Range Rovers or Discovery's
Quote by Retro Rocker
You fucked up.
I can't believe you had the nerve to do that.

Get the hell off my forum!

Quote by Doppelgänger
Wait, did you use protection? Because that'd be funny if you got your cousin knocked up.