You are plugging a €60 mic into a €90 interface. Some may say otherwise, but I think skimping on the mic is not the way to go. I'd go for the Studio Projects B1, or even the Shure SM57 (if you're short on cash go for the Blue Icicle interface instead).
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
You are plugging a €60 mic into a €90 interface. Some may say otherwise, but I think skimping on the mic is not the way to go. I'd go for the Studio Projects B1, or even the Shure SM57 (if you're short on cash go for the Blue Icicle interface instead).

All I have is a guitar hero mic at the moment and a $180 budget thats not going anywhere for a long time
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V

I can get the ShureSM57, but if my local GC doesnt have the blue icicle thing is the M-Audio worth getting?
Yeah it's quality stuff, just the Icicle's cheaper if you're on a budget. Don't use the recording software that comes with it, use Audacity or Reaper instead.
Quote by Tombe
Am I better off with this, or for an extra $20, $30, should I get the Shure SM57 XLR-USB bundle?
The SM57 + X2U (that's what it's called isn't it?) looks like a good offer, go for it!
Quote by Tombe
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
This microphone, except with an XLR cable, recording my Peavey Vypyr 30:

http://www.samsontech.com/PRODUCTS/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

Into this Interface:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606

Into Reaper via the interface's USB plug

It would give you no recording quality, it wouldn't even give you a recording.

Condenser mics require 48v phantom power, M-Audio Fast Track interfaces don't provide 48v phantom power, and herein lies your problem.

Also, if you record at high volumes you are likely to damage a condenser mic (if you use it for close micing), which is why the majority of studios use dynamic microphones for close micing, and condensers for ambient & room micing of guitars.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam

Condenser mics require 48v phantom power, M-Audio Fast Track interfaces don't provide 48v phantom power, and herein lies your problem.

Also, if you record at high volumes you are likely to damage a condenser mic (if you use it for close micing), which is why the majority of studios use dynamic microphones for close micing, and condensers for ambient & room micing of guitars.

Sorry, Im new to the whole recording scene. I've decided a ShureSM57 + x2u XLR-USB bundle would be my best guess at my price range, correct me if Im wrong.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
All I have is a guitar hero mic at the moment and a $180 budget thats not going anywhere for a long time

Intercae + amp sims is the cheapes approach with that budget.

or get a dynamic mic for 100 and save 20-30 dollars and try to find a interface around that price.
No opinions on me getting the ShureSM57 + x2u XLR-USB converter bundle?
Quote by Sonny_sam

*Bashes head off wall for forgetting about phantom power* The x2u gives you phantom power anyway.

I wouldn't be pushing him to go the amp sim route unless he wanted to. It's not as intuitiveas actual hardware, and the sound isn't comparable at this price range unless he's using some crappy solid state.

Which he is.

OK ignore everything I've said to you, take a look at Peavey Revalver HP, IK AMplitude (ignore Guitar Rig) and Line6 Pod Farm. Then look for guitar-capable audio interfaces (like the M-Audio JamLab or the ESI ESU 22).
Quote by Tombe