I'll post what i know, and feel free to post whatever you wish they would change on the old variax to make it better, in your opinion, don't get mad at someone because they don't think the same way, different strokes

in variax 2

it's supposed to have magnetic pickups also, which you can switch to for your dream sound if the modeling doesn't have it, better whammy bar, i think possible floyd rose, but i'm not sure if that'd work due to space needs, 24 frets, and as i recall more modeling capabilities, but i've only heard bits and pieces, think of this as my culmination

release date? who the h*** knows, i don't, but i know you can get custom guitars like this made now, my brother got one, and it's epic

so feel free to add any suggestions for things you think line 6 should add, or heck, just what you think of your variax now,

have fun
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
as a variax owner, i think the whole idea of making people get a new guitar because their old one is "obsolete" is ridiculous. i might buy one if i think it's gonna be worth it.. but where will that get me? another obsolete guitar 6 years or so down the line? perhaps that itself is what line 6 means..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
various news from NAMM unfortunately, they have released no easy to find articles on their website, if any at all, but here is a link, go to the first one

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS339&q=variax+2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

but essentially it's just supposed to be better all around, and like the guy says, they aren't really talking about it, so it's hard to get info from anyone who hasn't gone to namm themselves
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
i have no idea, i'm not judging, just thought some people would want to know, like say once it comes out someone may rather get that then the old one if they have neither
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
It would have to be really good for me to replace my Variax 700. I really like this guitar. I do wish it had a mandolin, but that wouldn't sway me to make a new purchase and it would have to have the quality of the 700. Not the 300 or 600.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD