Well the title is pretty self explanatory, I have recently purchased an Ibanez RG2610E which has a basswood body and has the one bridge pick up. I'm looking for a pick up that is high output, good harmonics, good cleans and good note definition. I play mainly metal / metalcore. But I'm really looking for good cleans and good overdrives basically.
Quote by Shred-Hed
You don't like the full shred pickup? It's pretty damn good.

It's ok i'll give it that, better than most ibanez stock pick ups. But i feel its missing something.
Name some bands who have a tone that you would like to emulate - saying you play metal and metalcore is far too broad.

Also, what amp and speaker(s) will you be running this guitar through (i.e. you don't want a mid-heavy pickup if you're running through a mid-heavy amp with a mid-heavy speaker - you need to balance your frequencies).
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
Well the title is pretty self explanatory, I have recently purchased an Ibanez RG2610E which has a basswood body and has the one bridge pick up. I'm looking for a pick up that is high output, good harmonics, good cleans and good note definition. I play mainly metal / metalcore. But I'm really looking for good cleans and good overdrives basically.

That guitat was not really built for all out metal and crap. it's more of a shred guitar. I also have the exact guitar, but I replaced the p'up with a Dimarzio Evo. Perfect for that kinda stuff. For metal and metalcore, the BEST choice would be a Lundgren M6, but you have to order them from a company in Boston who imports them from Sweden. it's like $185 a pop. The Full Shred should handle it. If not, try a DiMarzio X2n or a Seymour Duncan Invader.

Oh, btw, the Full Shred is not an Ibby pickup, it's a Seymour Duncan.
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
I have an Engl 4X12 cab and a Carvin V3 head.

Good for you, refer to my last post.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Good for you, refer to my last post.

I'd prefer the Breed Bridge over the Evolution, but it's your choice.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ibanezgod1973
Dimarzio Evolution.

That's not a good metalcore pickup. I have one in the exact same guitar and it can do shred metal, but not what he's asking for.

Quote by ZeroCS

I'd prefer the Breed Bridge over the Evolution, but it's your choice.

Yeah. It's a good pickup. I'd probably go with a PAF Pro if I had to do it again.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']That's not a good metalcore pickup. I have one in the exact same guitar and it can do shred metal, but not what he's asking for.

Yeah. It's a good pickup. I'd probably go with a PAF Pro if I had to do it again.
The harmonics on that thing are quite bitchin', I'd might even recommend it over the Breed, but considering he only has one pickup and the Breed almost shines in everything...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
But I'm really looking for good cleans and good overdrives basically.
You can't get that from the same pickup. You're going to have to sacrifice one or the other.

Also, until you give full information on the following, it's going to be impossible for anyone to recommend you anything that is actually worthwhile:
  • How is your amp set up? Do you use the amp's own preamp gain a lot or do you leave the amp running clean?
  • Do you use many pedals? If so, what?
  • What is your actual playing style? Just 'metal' or similar doesn't explain much. Are you a lead player, a rhythm player, combined lead and rhythm? Are you a very advanced player, are you a total beginner?
  • How do you like your guitars set up and how do you use them? Do you use drop tunings much, do you prefer low action, medium action or high action? Do you make much use of the volume and tone controls on your guitar?
  • What is specifically wrong with your current tone and how do you want to improve it? Just "it's lacking something" doesn't tell us much - is it lacking clarity, do you want more bass response, more treble response, less bass response? Bear in mind that no one pickup can do everything, you're going to have to prioritise one or at most two things over everything else.

When you've covered all of those points, then people can start giving you advice that is actually going to be relevant and worthwhile.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Cleans are for the neck pickup.

I suggest the seymour duncan Dimebucker or invader. Br00t4Lz metal tone and dece cleans.
Quote by MrFlibble
You can't get that from the same pickup. You're going to have to sacrifice one or the other.
*lots of info*

Flibble's right, and answers to those questions would be nice, too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the Dimarzio d-sonic is actually pretty good for what you want.

although I think the full shred is a good pup and it should deliver exactly what you want.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Who the hell decided that? There's lot of good songs played with clean bridge pickups. The thicker tone of the neck position isn't always appropriate anyway, clean or otherwise.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Who the hell decided that? There's lot of good songs played with clean bridge pickups. The thicker tone of the neck position isn't always appropriate anyway, clean or otherwise.

yet again another kid giving poor advice.

Hell, he even followed it up with a dimebucker or invader suggestion
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I suggest the seymour duncan Dimebucker or invader. Br00t4Lz metal tone and dece cleans.
Wrong on both accounts. The neck pickup, both pickups and bridge pickup can all do all sorts of sounds.

I also like to disagree that a single pickup cannot get good clean tones and good overdriven tones at the same time.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575947

I think those sound fairly good overdriven and clean, as do most PAF style pickups. Some PAF style pickups with A2 magnets might get muddy and their low end might fall apart under high gain situations but PAF style pickups with A4 and A5 magnets stay clear, coherent and sound just fine with a lot of gain. They don't hit the front end of your amp as hard but if one is playing metal or metal core, they're not using a vintage Fender or Marshall or something that would need a high output pickup to drive the front end more, modern high gain amps have plenty of gain on tap.

I do agree that super high output gain monsters don't always sound great clean, and that low output pickups aren't super high output gain monsters and won't overdrive the front end of your amp by themselves, but I mean... c'mon, it's 2009, how many metal players and metalcore players really rely on their pickups for gain?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Wrong on both accounts. The neck pickup, both pickups and bridge pickup can all do all sorts of sounds.

I also like to disagree that a single pickup cannot get good clean tones and good overdriven tones at the same time.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7575947

I think those sound fairly good overdriven and clean, as do most PAF style pickups. Some PAF style pickups with A2 magnets might get muddy and their low end might fall apart under high gain situations but PAF style pickups with A4 and A5 magnets stay clear, coherent and sound just fine with a lot of gain. They don't hit the front end of your amp as hard but if one is playing metal or metal core, they're not using a vintage Fender or Marshall or something that would need a high output pickup to drive the front end more, modern high gain amps have plenty of gain on tap.

I do agree that super high output gain monsters don't always sound great clean, and that low output pickups aren't super high output gain monsters and won't overdrive the front end of your amp by themselves, but I mean... c'mon, it's 2009, how many metal players and metalcore players really rely on their pickups for gain?

I agree with these statements. I've seen players with single-coils do metal and core style stuff on high-gain amps.

Sadly, the only thing i could really recommend in this situation (due to an unwillingness to look through both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio catalogs right now) is perhaps an EMG 81TW if you feel like taking the active route, or a maybe a Blackout, as i know both are good metal pickups with decent cleans
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Last edited by Metlhead443 at Aug 18, 2009,
In general, I like to believe that an A5 pickup in the range ~10k is the most versatile for all around applications... hot but not too hot that it loses a ton of detail in the high end, and not hot enough that it's going to overpower your amp to a significant degree (don't get me wrong though, a 13k pickup will overdrive the front end of your amp a little bit)

Some options here...

WCR Fillmore ($140)
Seymour Duncan Brobucker ($160)
Wolfetone Marshallhead ($104)
Rio Grande BBQ ($106)
The problem is you still don't know, since he's yet to answer, just how he uses his rig. It's all very well saying that X pickup can produce decent clean tones as well as be good for heavily distorted tones if you assume he's using X, Y and Z, but if he comes back and says actually he relies on very high output ceramic pickups to get him the distortion he wants and he won't consider an overdrive pedal then that's the initial suggestions out the window.

OP, get back to us with more detail about your rig and how you use it, then you can get some worthwhile answers.
Rockfield Fat Ass or Mafia. Rockfield make great pickups.