Hey guys!

I have a Laney LC15 which is a single channel tube amp and I would like to improve the metal tone I'm getting out of it. Not that my tone is bad, but I'm sure it can be better. I'd like to get a tone with lots of mids a'la Lamb of God. I'm not going to buy a new amp.

How would changing the tubes improve the sound? At the moment I have Sovtek's 12AX7 and EL84 tubes, but soon I'm going to need to replace them as they are quite old. Which brand should I go for to improve the hi-gain tone? Should I also replace the JJ 12AX7 in my Tonelab?

I'm using a Rocktron Rampage distortion and it's the only distortion pedal I've ever used so I can't compare it to anything else. I've heard the Metal Muff and Hardwire TL-2 are good, but is either of them worth buying to replace the Rocktron and get a huge improvement?

The amp has a 10'' HH Invader speaker. Should I replace it to something better suited for metal and is the improvement going to be very noticeable? I don't want to spend too much money to improve this little amp...

I don't have an EQ pedal, can it really do wonders? Should I get one?

This is my signal chain: Guitar -> Tonelab with the Rocktron in insert -> Laney

I hope someone finds time to answer my questions and recommend me some tubes/speakers/pedals.

TL/DR: Will getting new tubes, distortion pedal and speaker greatly improve the metal tone of my Laney LC15 tube amp and which brands would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
ahsoo
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Get a gain-y OD (ala the OCD from Fulltone or the SCOD from Catalinbread) and an EQ pedal.

It will work wonders.
But that means I have to crank my amp's gain and can't switch to a clean tone which I also need.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
You could use your guitar's volume knob and turn off the OD, I guess.

Another option is using a different distortion unit.
...about which I'm asking. Would the MM or TL-2 be a big improvement over the Rocktron?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
get an overdrive pedal for the extra kick in gain you want and if you want to be even more tone conscious get an EQ, they really are worth their weight in gold (i use the mxr 6 band and it does wonders for subtle changes for rhythm or to get that searing mid boost for leads !)

my DSL uses the same valves, i shot for ehx 12a7x's and jj el84's. you'll need a noise gate as well !!!!
Quote by ahsoo
...about which I'm asking. Would the MM or TL-2 be a big improvement over the Rocktron?

Probably not. Most distortion pedals are going to pale in comparison to using your amp's natural gain plus an OD. Unless you go boutique for distortion (such as the Zvex Box of Metal or otherwise), it's not going to sound very good.
Shuguang 12AX7, JJ EL84, and a good overdrive.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yeah but my amp's natural gain doesn't even reach Metallica-like distortion. Are you sure that if I change my tubes and get an overdrive I will get a brutal tone?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Quote by ahsoo
Yeah but my amp's natural gain doesn't even reach Metallica-like distortion. Are you sure that if I change my tubes and get an overdrive I will get a brutal tone?

Well, with those three things (higher gain tubes, an OD pedal, and an EQ pedal), it will probably do Metallica. An OD and EQ pedal can make a world of difference.
If you can get to a classic-rock style tone with your amp, an overdrive and proper EQing will be adequate for early thrash.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by BeethovensBust
Well, with those three things (higher gain tubes, an OD pedal, and an EQ pedal), it will probably do Metallica. An OD and EQ pedal can make a world of difference.

Very true. (I'm tired of that "this" ****)

The Bad Monkey and the MXR 6-band, 10-band if you want serious results, will work wonders.

It's necessarily normal for an amp's driven channel to not sound too brutal. Usually they at least have a Metallica-esque type of sound to them. Maybe your Laney just isn't brutal enough, at least not now. I'm sure with a tube change, an EQ, OD, and possibly even a speaker change, it will be more than enough to use the br0otalz on. The question is, is it worth the work to you.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Higher gain tubes, overdrive pedal, 10 band eq. It will sound better than a high gain pedal.
Make certain to not scoop out your mids. Unless you want to sound like poo.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^ Yup I already told I would like to get a tone with lots of mids.. The only problem is that my Rocktron distortion only has a 'scoop' knob. :/

I think I'm going to buy some high gain tubes and see how much more gain they have compared to the old ones. If they really do give me lots of more gain, I'll buy an OD and an EQ.

Thanks for your help!
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
tubes wont give you more gain, you just get some that will break up earlier and give you a saturated overdrive tone as you move up in volume as opposed to other brands.
get a tubescreamer and jj's

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.