Ok, i'm starting up a band and i have a guy to play bass, but he needs a bass guitar. I have played guitar for 12 years, and have played bass a little, but know next to nothing about it. Can someone reccomend me a cheap bass that is solid and will work to start gigging with. Also, if you could reccomend a cheap amp that will match up to a 50 watt tube guitar amp we need a bass amp too. Any pointers will be appreciated. We are going to be a hard/heavy rock band and will hopefully be playing gigs soon. I have checked out some basses and amps, and so far, what i have seen that i am considering is a Dean Edge 09 4 string and a Peavey MAX 115 Bass Combo amp. I fyou can reccomend a better guitar, or more improtantly, a better amp, that would be awesome.

EDIT: We don;t want to pay more than $200 for the bass and no more than $300 for the amp.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Aug 18, 2009,
Last edited by RockIsHowIRoll at Aug 18, 2009,
The Peavey isn't anywhere near powerful enough for gigging, unless you're hooked up to a PA. Dean basses aren't looked upon too kindly by this forum, and while there QC is improving, you should look elsewhere IMO. Maybe an Ibanez GSR200?

stratkat
Yeah, i checked out the Epiphone EB-0 before, but it has a shorter scale. How much of an impac ton the bass will this have? Less frets? Different Sound? Easier to play for beginners? Also, i have played a Squire bass, and it was pure unadulterated ****. It buzzed because the pickup was loose and couldn't be tightened in any way, and was practically falling apart everywhere else, and the owener was very picky about it and hadn;t had it for long, so i doubt it had been thgouh much wear. I could be wrong, but i also own a Squire strat and it has terrible quality also. I would prefer to stay away from Squire. I'll check out the Ibanez though.

EDIT:
I checked out the Ibanez. I think i'll stick with it then. Why is Dean a disliked name? How about a Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180W 1x12" Bass Combo amp instead of the Peavey?
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Aug 18, 2009,
The Ibanez GSR200 is a solid bass, I'd recommend it. I'd also look at the Squier Jazz bass, but you said you didn't want that (The basses are better than the guitars sometimes). I played one the other day and it was really nice for the price.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Aug 18, 2009,
Stay far, far away form the Behringer. That's a terrible company that relies on misleading advertising and inferior (read: cheap) products to make money. They quote peak wattage, while every other brand quotes RMS. So basically that 180W amp is closer to 90, and will probably break on you within the first year.

For $300, you're not going to get an amp that matches up with a 50W tube amp. The closest you can get in that price range is the Acoustic B100, which would have enough for quiet gigs but would be drowned out at larger gigs without PA support. If you can spare the extra $50, get the B200. It should have just enough power to get you through most gigs. There will still be gigs that require PA support, though. Your best bet is to buy used. Old Peavey stuff is dirt cheap on eBay.

As for the bass, avoid Epiphone and Dean. Almost all Epi basses sound muddy and neck dive horribly. Dean has spotty quality control, and also has many models that dive. (any bass with a small or nonexistent upper horn is going to dive)

The Ibanez GSR200 is an excellent choice for a beginner...it feels good, and is built very well for the price. You won't go wrong with it.

There are other options, though, that are great basses as well:

Squier Standard Jazz (better than the affinity, which is probably what you played)
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Jazz-Bass-?sku=510627

Epiphone Embassy: The one epi I'd recommend...it has standard scale, and won't neck dive.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Embassy%20Standard%20IV%20Plus%204%20String%20Bass%20Midnight%20Ebony_-1_10052_10002_-49983582_cmCategorySA182949

Laguna BA224: Laguna's a guitar center brand, so they are usually good deals. (same for Acoustic)
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-LB224-Electric-Bass?sku=520013

SX: If you want to "take the chance", SX basses are the best deal anywhere. Many people will say otherwise though, mostly because of the price tag. There's no risk though...their return policy is the best I've ever seen, anywhere. I own one, and the quality is higher than any Squier I've ever seen.
http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Personally, I'm after the 3TS P/J Precision on the first page. Sexy bass, that.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 19, 2009,
The B200 look slike a great deal, but the only thing i seen that i don't like is that it's one channel. Does that mean you can't overdrive/distort it, and how often do bassists need an instant switch between clean and distorted tones? Sorry, but i really am a bass noob. If it doesn't overdrive on it's own, can i buy a pedal to do this? If so, what would be a good one? Also, what would be a good practice amp to match up with a 30W Solid State Guitar Amp? This would also be preferably cheap.
Most bass amps are single channel, especially in this price range. It's very unusual to find a multi channel one.

You'll also be hard pressed to find one that has its own distortion, unless it's tube. Most bass amps are solid state...even many of the really good ones. Tube amps are made but are much less common in bass because it's not needed for a good tone. For the most part bassists use pedals for distortion if it's needed....but it's hardly ever really needed. You can play most any genre with a completely clean tone.
Nope, no sig here.
OK, thanks. Would a B20 by Acoustic be a good matchup for a 30W SS guitar amp? This is just for practice, and niether of us will prolly be at full volume. What would be a good pedal if we end up wanting distortion? Do guitar pedals work just as good? Like a Boss Overdrive or something like that, or do i need a specific bass pedal?
The figure of 2/3x the combined wattage of the guitar players in your band (this usually averages out to approximately 200W + drummer factored) is given commonly around here. You need more watts to push out lower frequencies. That said, the Acoustic might be able to cut it because it has a 12".

Also, guitar pedals WILL work, but they might not produce a desirable sound. Guitar distortion will usually slice out all your low end. You may want to get an overdrive, but only buy effects if you really want them.

That said about guitar distortion, I believe other guitar effects such as chorus, reverb and delay work fine for bass, but don't quote me on that.
Quote by Blktiger0
OK, thanks. Would a B20 by Acoustic be a good matchup for a 30W SS guitar amp? This is just for practice, and niether of us will prolly be at full volume. What would be a good pedal if we end up wanting distortion? Do guitar pedals work just as good? Like a Boss Overdrive or something like that, or do i need a specific bass pedal?

he'll have to turn down, you'll have to crank, but it will work.

a slightly louder amp might be good, but you don't need to.

most guitar pedals are not made for bass, but work.

I love the way a Carbon Copy sounds on bass, for example.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thanks guys, you've been a huge help. After checking out some bass covers and listening more closely to bass lines on some of my fav songs, i seriously doubt I'll need any overdrive. I never realized that bass was awesome enough it doesn;t NEED effects. lol. This has seriously given me a new respect for bassists, but i still have to say that bass is for guitarists that don't want to spend a bunch of money. Think about it: no need for tube amps, no need for effects, no need for picks, hardly ever have to change strings. Sounds like a lots of the cost of being a guitarist is absent for bassists. I might switch over to the dark side.....
If you play bass with a pick you have plenty of need for them.

Bass strings also usually cost more since they are just bigger, but breaking them is less common than guitar ones.

And guitarists can have no need for effects either, just like a bass player. It's all circumstancial, really.
There's no need for tube amps, but that doesn't make bass amps any less expensive. You have to have about 600W and two cabs to get over two tube stacks and a drummer...that's some serious cash, my friend. And I think the strings and picks are made up for by good strings costing $50-$80 a set...more if you have 5+ strings. Effects aren't needed in guitar either, btw...most bands could get by using only amp distortion and maybe the amp's reverb. Look at 3-doors down...that's all amp.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Blktiger0
Yeah, i checked out the Epiphone EB-0 before, but it has a shorter scale. How much of an impac ton the bass will this have? Less frets? Different Sound? Easier to play for beginners? Also, i have played a Squire bass, and it was pure unadulterated ****. It buzzed because the pickup was loose and couldn't be tightened in any way, and was practically falling apart everywhere else, and the owener was very picky about it and hadn;t had it for long, so i doubt it had been thgouh much wear. I could be wrong, but i also own a Squire strat and it has terrible quality also. I would prefer to stay away from Squire. I'll check out the Ibanez though.

EDIT:
I checked out the Ibanez. I think i'll stick with it then. Why is Dean a disliked name? How about a Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800 180W 1x12" Bass Combo amp instead of the Peavey?

Short-scales don't sound bad, and they're somewhat easier to switch to off guitar. Deans are usually crap as far as quality, but Behringer's overall quality eclipses Dean AND Squire in terms of awfulness.

Quote by Blktiger0
Thanks guys, you've been a huge help. After checking out some bass covers and listening more closely to bass lines on some of my fav songs, i seriously doubt I'll need any overdrive. I never realized that bass was awesome enough it doesn;t NEED effects. lol. This has seriously given me a new respect for bassists, but i still have to say that bass is for guitarists that don't want to spend a bunch of money. Think about it: no need for tube amps, no need for effects, no need for picks, hardly ever have to change strings. Sounds like a lots of the cost of being a guitarist is absent for bassists. I might switch over to the dark side.....

Bass guitarists aren't poor guitarists, they're guitarists sans ego who hold down the sound of the band. Hard rock and metal sound about as brutal as an angry 10 year old without bass. Even guys like Tom Araya (it's questionable whether or not his bass is even plugged into anything when he plays live) still hold down a band's sound and provide the bridge between guitars and drums.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Last edited by cal1 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by cal1
Bass guitarists aren't poor guitarists, they're guitarists sans ego who hold down the sound of the band. Hard rock and metal sound about as brutal as an angry 10 year old without bass. Even guys like Tom Araya (it's questionable whether or not his bass is even plugged into anything when he plays live) still hold down a band's sound and provide the bridge between guitars and drums.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was jokeing, guys. Just making an observation that you don't have to buy as much stuff for bass to sound like your fav bassist or whatever. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was seriosuly just a joke. To start out on bass, you need a bass, amp, and cable. The start out on guitar out need a guitar, cable, amp, seventy thousand effects pedals, ten million packs of strings, and two extra high e strings for each pack, ten million picks, etc. Guitarists are like: "well i have to have a wah for sweet child o mine, i need a distortion pedal for heavy stuff, an overdrive pedal for lighter stuff, a gunkulator because the name sounds cool, a whammy pedal for killing in the name of, a delay pedal for the intro to where the streets have no name, a reverb pedal for that cool sound when playing clean, a phaser for the beginning of testify, a flanger cause EVH used one, an ibanez tube screamer for that extra boost on solos......the list goes on. Bassists, on the other hand, are like.....hmmm i think i'll just stick with the guitar and amp and jam out and still be as awesome as the band's now poor guitarist. Wait, i might want some form of distortion....the intro to for whom the bell tolls does sound better when Cliff played it distorted....nah. With the tube amp thing, guitarists usually pick tube over solid state because the usually are a better choice (not always, depending on your genre and what you need it for). Tube amps are louder, and IMO have a better sound than solid state. Bassist, though, don't need tubes to sound good or be loud. Solid state is just about the same for them (as stated by someone else above....not my observation, i'm just taking thier word for it). I'm not even saying that bass equipment is CHEAPER or that bassist are poor. For most rock guitarists, you have to have at least some form of distortion/overdrive, but bassists don't. I just thought it was a funny observation, especially for me, who has had his eye on a Crybaby Clasic and an MXR Whammy for two years now. Sorry for offending you guys. Just thought it was kinda funny.
Quote by Blktiger0
Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was jokeing, guys. Just making an observation that you don't have to buy as much stuff for bass to sound like your fav bassist or whatever. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was seriosuly just a joke. To start out on bass, you need a bass, amp, and cable. The start out on guitar out need a guitar, cable, amp, seventy thousand effects pedals, ten million packs of strings, and two extra high e strings for each pack, ten million picks, etc. Guitarists are like: "well i have to have a wah for sweet child o mine, i need a distortion pedal for heavy stuff, an overdrive pedal for lighter stuff, a gunkulator because the name sounds cool, a whammy pedal for killing in the name of, a delay pedal for the intro to where the streets have no name, a reverb pedal for that cool sound when playing clean, a phaser for the beginning of testify, a flanger cause EVH used one, an ibanez tube screamer for that extra boost on solos......the list goes on. Bassists, on the other hand, are like.....hmmm i think i'll just stick with the guitar and amp and jam out and still be as awesome as the band's now poor guitarist. Wait, i might want some form of distortion....the intro to for whom the bell tolls does sound better when Cliff played it distorted....nah. With the tube amp thing, guitarists usually pick tube over solid state because the usually are a better choice (not always, depending on your genre and what you need it for). Tube amps are louder, and IMO have a better sound than solid state. Bassist, though, don't need tubes to sound good or be loud. Solid state is just about the same for them (as stated by someone else above....not my observation, i'm just taking thier word for it). I'm not even saying that bass equipment is CHEAPER or that bassist are poor. For most rock guitarists, you have to have at least some form of distortion/overdrive, but bassists don't. I just thought it was a funny observation, especially for me, who has had his eye on a Crybaby Clasic and an MXR Whammy for two years now. Sorry for offending you guys. Just thought it was kinda funny.

Relax, relax, it's ok. Most guitarists I know wouldn't even apologize.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115