I was planning to get an Ampeg BA-115. But I was thinking of getting a Cab and a Head just to get more versatility in a way. I play a 5 String Bass, so I'll need a setup that's able to handle the low end pretty well. I also play Metal. I need something that I can Gig with. Any suggestions? I don't feel like breaking the bank. Maybe a budget of roughly 1000 USD Max. Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
The brand Acoustic came out with a bass stack not long ago with a 600 watt head and an 8x10 cab for $1000. Check that out
i had an ampeg BA115, it was CRAP, do not buy!

I'm currently using an ashdown ABM 300 evo II, it sounds great, really punchy and growly and i can get some great sounds out of it, and the valve drive gives the sound a really nice edge to it, sort of like adam duce from machine head. If you can, get the evo III as they have onboard compressors, even more handy for a metal bassist.
That Hartke head looks pretty nice. Price is a bit high but it might be worth it.

I was lookin to find a cab with maybe 2x15 in it but I can't seem to find any. I just want a really low bass sound. Is there a reason why they don't make such things? Will I still be able to get a really really low bass as with 15s if I use a 2x10 or 2x12 cab? I don't really think I need a 4x10 cab, seems a bit overkill.

Sorry, I don't know much about Bass or Bass Amps. I just started playing more seriously a bit ago. Was formerly a guitar player and Bass seems to go quite differently. Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
it depends on what you like, honestly. I don't have much experience, so I can't say for sure, but I've heard 2x12 can hold their own.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Phry
That Hartke head looks pretty nice. Price is a bit high but it might be worth it.

I was lookin to find a cab with maybe 2x15 in it but I can't seem to find any. I just want a really low bass sound. Is there a reason why they don't make such things? Will I still be able to get a really really low bass as with 15s if I use a 2x10 or 2x12 cab? I don't really think I need a 4x10 cab, seems a bit overkill.

Sorry, I don't know much about Bass or Bass Amps. I just started playing more seriously a bit ago. Was formerly a guitar player and Bass seems to go quite differently. Thanks.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=39

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass2x15-LG.htm

Just a couple quick Google searches.

You could also look into 18s, like the SWR Big Ben; but you'll want some 10s or 12s with that, else you'll have very little presence - the larger speaker won't cover higher frequencies well.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Quote by budget bassist
i had an ampeg BA115, it was CRAP, do not buy!
Really? I don't believe you. In what way was it crap?
I have one, and ****ing love it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Really? I don't believe you. In what way was it crap?
I have one, and ****ing love it.

It doesn't sound like an actual Ampeg, nor is the quality of one either.
It is basically a solid state combo with a "catch", being some little tube in it somewhere.

Quote by baz249
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=39

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass2x15-LG.htm

Just a couple quick Google searches.

You could also look into 18s, like the SWR Big Ben; but you'll want some 10s or 12s with that, else you'll have very little presence - the larger speaker won't cover higher frequencies well.

Well, the head I posted was like $600, so I'm not sure how much those cabs are, but yeah I think 2x12 should be good for what he wants.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
If you want a cheap 2x15. Check out the older Peavey 2x15 or the newer Tour 215.
I don't really like the quality of Hartke 215, I've owned a Hartke 15 with 2 8s and didn't like it.
Mesa items are out of your budget.

I really dont like Ampeg BA115 either. It is no way good enough for gigs, especially metal gigs. You would need 300w minimum.

$1000 can get you a VERY VERY VERY stack.
4x10 would not be overkill, as 2x15 would be MUCH louder than a 4x10.

If I were you, I'd get Carvin SBR810 stack. Which is $100 more than your budget.
Or the Carvin SBR410N for $850. It's a 600 watt bridged with a 4x10 Neo cabinet.

Ps. GO USED!
Last edited by gwath42 at Aug 19, 2009,
For metal, Kustom. They are the punchiest loudest most bestest

Haven't a clue what the model names are but even their 10w practise amp was amazing so the high end models must be a thing of beauty. The only reason I don't own one is that they didn't make a 300w within my budget.
Hmm, still confused. The Hartke 5500 looks promising. But I just don't know what kind of cab to match up with it. I'm not too worried about high end sounds, though I'd still like them to be there when I want them. But I'm just lookin more into a nice low end sound. Not sure where I heard this, but I thought you needed some 12s or 15s to be able to get a good sound from a 5 string, since you have the Low B string.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10