Just now, I picked up my old epiphone les paul special 2 and did some tapping and imo it sounded very clean, but when I switch over to my Ibanez Rg370dx, I just can't seem to tap at all. The notes die very quickly and I just can't seem to tap. I know RG's are known as "shred" guitars, so shouldn't tapping be easier on it? Could it be that the strings on the epiphone are lighter? I think the ibanez has some fairly light strings anyway. Thanks for any advice, I really want to tap again D:
You're doing it wrong.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
I don't think lighter strings would make a difference, my mums boyfriends Epi LP Custom has 9's and I can't tap for **** on it, but mine has 10's and I can tap really well on it.

Intonation plays a big role.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Maybe the actions are different and you're not used to it. You might want to adjust it.
Quote by ldnovelo
in wich sense does it fail? you cant hear it? or you can't do it?

Well I can't hear it anywhere near as clearly as I can on my other guitar, it still looks like I'm tapping properly, but there's no really audible tapping sound just a few notes here and there

Quote by Drustin
Maybe the actions are different and you're not used to it. You might want to adjust it.

Then I think I should have the guitar set up at a music store as I'm still new to it and I could also use a string change
Quote by SinSyringe
Well I can't hear it anywhere near as clearly as I can on my other guitar, it still looks like I'm tapping properly, but there's no really audible tapping sound just a few notes here and there

It's your technique in some way, slow down and look at what you're doing very closely as there must be something wrong. If it was the guitar it would be a consistent thing, not just randomly, this indicates that at the moment your technique is too hit and miss to give a consistent sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's your technique in some way, slow down and look at what you're doing very closely as there must be something wrong. If it was the guitar it would be a consistent thing, not just randomly, this indicates that at the moment your technique is too hit and miss to give a consistent sound.

I would think so too, but even the few notes I can hear are really weak compared to if I had normally picked them and when I tap on my other guitar it sounds perfectly fine, so I don't think it's my technique as I am just unable to tap on this one guitar
check the settings on your amp. You need some gain to hear tappings if you are just begginings.
to know if the intonation is right, check with your tuner if your 12th fret and the armonic on the 12th fret have the same note.
Check if the frets you are tapping in have any fret buzz. Also, tab what you are tappin and explain wich notes are heard and wich aren't. A vid or fast recording would be better.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
check the settings on your amp. You need some gain to hear tappings if you are just begginings.
to know if the intonation is right, check with your tuner if your 12th fret and the armonic on the 12th fret have the same note.
Check if the frets you are tapping in have any fret buzz. Also, tab what you are tappin and explain wich notes are heard and wich aren't. A vid or fast recording would be better.

I completely over-looked your post, and was about to say the same thing
Tone is a huge factor. Gain usually makes faster playing sound better. My tremolo picking always sounds like complete **** without a lot of gain.
Intonation and frets have been explained.
If none of this works, then either you have an unlucky guitar, or you feel so awesome holding that Les Paul for reasons unknown that you play better
Quote by SinSyringe
I would think so too, but even the few notes I can hear are really weak compared to if I had normally picked them and when I tap on my other guitar it sounds perfectly fine, so I don't think it's my technique as I am just unable to tap on this one guitar

If it wasn't your technique you would be able to tap on any guitar anyone handed you.

Quote by NICKmetalP
My tremolo picking always sounds like complete **** without a lot of gain.

Again this is an issue I would put more down to you rather than any general problem with fast picking and tone; if you can't make it sound good clean then you probably shouldn't be doing it with gain either.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The action might be high on your guitar, or the neck's bow could need adjustment. Try raising the pickups a bit for higher output too, that would make the notes a bit louder. Also, since the Ibanez has jumbo frets, you should tap lighter.
ahh okay this is gonna sound stupid, but my tone knob was nearly all the way to 0 and increasing the volume on my guitar helped too, but now i can tap perfectly fine again
damn non-numbered knobs, still fairly new too the guitar, thanks for all the help