I was just wondering what kind of benefits/draw backs there were to having a sound hole in an electric guitar.
Thanks.
like in a hollowbody?
Drawback: Feedback
Benefit: Rich warm tone, can be played w/o amp(though wont be as loud as an acoustic)
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Tyranus-3121
like in a hollowbody?

sort of. i played a Telecaster today with one, which is what got me curious, but i'm not sure if it was a hollowbody =\

Drawback: Feedback
Benefit: Rich warm tone, can be played w/o amp(though wont be as loud as an acoustic)

how bad is the feedback? i'm planning on picking up a Fender Super Champ XD (15 watt tube), and playing it through a squier tele with the sound hole. would the feedback be bad enough to cause any major problems?
Feedback is only really a problem at super high gain. You should be fine.
Quote by scl52
sort of. i played a Telecaster today with one, which is what got me curious, but i'm not sure if it was a hollowbody =\

how bad is the feedback? i'm planning on picking up a Fender Super Champ XD (15 watt tube), and playing it through a squier tele with the sound hole. would the feedback be bad enough to cause any major problems?

It's called an f-hole. The tele in question is a semi-hollow, not a hollowbody guitar. It takes a lot of gain and volume to get them to feed back in any considerable way. You'll be fine.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Oh yeah, the tele thinlines are sweet.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
To me they're about as much use as an arsehole on a table lamp but If you play with your amp on less than 10 they come in pretty useful. Volume is their only enemy, looks and sound wise I think they're smashing!