im looking to get into Pink Floyd i already know a few songs but i want more. i want to either get Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall so can all you floyd fans help me decide. which ones better and what is each one like. thanks
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
You mean you don't have them already?!

I'd say Dark Side first, just so you can ease into it
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Animals, honestly. Get something you're less exposed to. But, there's a Pink Floyd thread on these forums for this very reason
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
To hell with both of them, get Animals. And this shouldn't be in Modern Rock. Several members are dead.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
hopefully your serious otherwise this thread is going to start nothing but a flame war.
Darkside is a shorter album that is much more mellow.
Imo the highlights of it are Money,Brain damage/eclipse and time.

THe wall is almost twice as long as darkside and goes through mellow songs to full out electronic orgasm.

My personal faves are Comfortably numb, in the flesh part II and good bye blue sky. Most guitar playing floyd fans drool at the thought of standing in front of thousands of people wishing they crafted Comfortably numbs solo. IF your anything like that pocket that song will encourage you to pick up a guitar every time...

in closing if the above is TLDR then THE WALL
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
get Dark Side of those 2, The Wall is good but it doesn't stand up to Dark Side. Other honorable mentions are Animals, Wish You Were Here, and most of all, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (although that has a different sound from most of the other albums, it was amazing)
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
Quote by Up_The_irons666
if you like metallica you probably wont like pink floyd

That's not necessarily true. I like Metallica and Pink Floyd a lot, personally.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Why is this even being discussed in mod. rock? Should be moved, but Dark Side personally. I love Brain Damage and Eclipse.
Quote by Up_The_irons666
if you like metallica you probably wont like pink floyd.
id get the wall.

I like Anal Cunt and I like Pink Floyd, so I'm pretty sure liking Metallica won't impair one's ability to enjoy some Pink Floyd.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
The Wall.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
metallica is the only metal band i listen to i also like a lot of other kinds of rock and some blues so its ok
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Quote by Up_The_irons666
id get the wall.

my favorite bands are Atmosphere, Pink Floyd, and Cryptopsy.

uh oh, genre overload!

edit: to answer the question, get Meddle, it rapes both other albums
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Dude, start at the beginning with The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

but out of those two, DSOTM imo.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Wish You Were Here is the band's favorite. The Wall is really two albums with Gilmour writing half the tracks and He Who Shall Not Be Named writing the other half. The writing was on the wall for the split.
With Floyd, you have to remember that several albums after Sid Barret was replaced were about that situation and the albums after The Wall were about that bust up. So many great albums, though. My personal favourites include Wish You Were Here, Lapse of Reason and Division Bell. I would avoid Echoes and Atom Heart Mother for intro albums.
Piper is a great guitarists album and, considering how old it is, is amazingly fresh and vibrant.
Whichever you decide, prepare to buy everything in the end, anyway.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Wish You Were Here is the band's favorite. The Wall is really two albums with Gilmour writing half the tracks and He Who Shall Not Be Named writing the other half. The writing was on the wall for the split.
With Floyd, you have to remember that several albums after Sid Barret was replaced were about that situation and the albums after The Wall were about that bust up. So many great albums, though. My personal favourites include Wish You Were Here, Lapse of Reason and Division Bell. I would avoid Echoes and Atom Heart Mother for intro albums.
Piper is a great guitarists album and, considering how old it is, is amazingly fresh and vibrant.
Whichever you decide, prepare to buy everything in the end, anyway.

I'm pretty sure on The Wall, Gilmour only got three writing credits. (for Comfortably Numb, Young Lust, and Run Like Hell)
Quote by HWFG1
I'm pretty sure on The Wall, Gilmour only got three writing credits. (for Comfortably Numb, Young Lust, and Run Like Hell)

Gilmour contests that. Everybody but Roger contests that.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
You should get Wish You Were Here, it's got a nice variety of different sounding songs on it. I'd definetely recommend it for someone new to the Floyd.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
To hell with both of them, get Animals. And this shouldn't be in Modern Rock. Several members are dead.

And? Half of Mad Season is dead....

..Your right though, a band that released their first album in the 60's really doesn't belong here. How the hell would someone think they are modern rock?

Get Darkside, then Animals, then Wish You Were Here. If you still wanna, get The Wall then. The Wall is one of the most overrated albums ever made, its good but I can't stand it sometimes because of how everyone just blindly praises it. Its even more overrated than DSotM.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Up_The_irons666
id get the wall.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. You see, there is this thing called diversity, many people like it.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I started out with 'The Wall;' the concept aspect fascinated me, and it's almost a departure from some of their other stuff, 'Dark Side of the Moon' is an obvious choice, though you MAY want to just listen to 'Money' for awhile if you're not into that sort of music already, then slowly ease your way into appreciation of the rest of the record.
One of my favorites is 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason," though. Probably the best Gilmour-lead Floyd record out there. Highly, HIGHLY recommend that.
Some of the old stuff is good, as well, specifically 'Meddle.'
'Wish You Were Here' is a good one, though "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" gets really old.
Really, I could recommend almost every PF album out there, because they were just THAT good. I'll stick with 'The Wall,' 'Momentary Lapse,' and 'Dark Side,' though.

Also, I listen to Metallica.
^ Why the hell would anyone care that you listen to both Metallica and PF?

On topic, I would say DSOTM, followed my Meddle.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by blue_strat
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd

No, i would not recommend a Pink Floyd greatest hits album. Their albums were made to be played all the way through. That being said I would not get The Wall, I would get Animals or Obscured by Clouds, which is one of my personal favorites by them
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Last edited by Rock1986 at Sep 5, 2009,
Who brought this old thread back? It shouldn't even still be open!
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Don't get anything after Animals. It's their last amazing album
He who shall not be named, lol. Anyway Piper At The Gates of Dawn is my favorite. More Pop then there other albums. That is if you consider trippy proto-punk experimental feedback based rock, pop. But that one doesnt feature David Gilmores great guitar playing. You may want to go with Dark Side, Animals, Meddle, Or Saucerful Of Secrets. I was never a big fan of The Wall. Wish You Were is alright, though shine on you crazy diamond is fantastic.
Since I just recently acquired it, and I love it, you should get Wish You Were Here. Its 5 tracks of bliss.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

get the wall and then dark side of the moon. The wall is slightly more of an easy listen than dark side of the moon
Quote by Up_The_irons666
id get the wall.
I like Metallica and Pink Floyd. What's your point?
Well I guess if you're gonna get The Wall then get it first, because otherwise you'll be disappointed when you hear it if you hear all the other albums that came out before it first
Quote by aFlag6969696969
get the wall and then dark side of the moon. The wall is slightly more of an easy listen than dark side of the moon

unless ur trippin
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter