So fellow UG'ers, I was faced with the problem of what to do when I go to uni and get locked up in a dorm with loads of other people. Taking it as a given that my Rocker 30 would seem a little anti social at the volumes I like to play at, not to mention it's bulk, I quested for an alternative. What could give me the functionality and versatility that I need, be easy to record and above all, be quiet and sound good in headphones? Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

Guitar Rig 3!

It's amazing. It's almost 2 in the morning here as I'm writing this thread's OP, I can't stop playing with it. The sounds take a bit of tweaking as the opening presets suck, but all things considered, the ease with which this incorporates with Garageband, the almost infinite tweakability leads me to consider just how well my Rocker stands against this. It can't beat the feel of a valve amp though, which is literally the only thing stopping me from gigging with a laptop. This is certainly going to replace my amp for recording.

Also, a clip: I'll do some more in the morning, but have you ever wondered what a vintage Fender Twin and a Hiwatt Head through an Orange 4x12 would sound like in stereo?
(please excuse sloppy playing etc. Late at night, tired, <insert lame excuse here>

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/bartdevil_metal/

Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Aug 18, 2009,
nice clipppzzzzzoororzzzz
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Woah awsome man. My old band recorded with that. My guitarist always got **** tones out of it, but I never got to sit down and fiddle with it. He just chose the one with the most gain and played
yeah that stuff just gives me a huge headache.

but God bless if you're into it
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, you have to be careful with the high gain tones. They can easily get out of hand. I spent ages crafting a cool Machine Head tone, took a 5 minute break, came back and the first thing I did was turn the gain down to 5. The odd thing is that the High gain amps on GRIII suck, or at least I can't get them to sound good. I get better results using an OR80 and a Demonizer

Carrot: You have one!

Jen: I'm a computer geek.
Nice. It's too bad the "citrus" model sounds nothing like the real thing. One tip: drag the blue compressor to the top of the rig. It'll drag the input volume up to unity gain and sounds good with everything.
I know, most of the actual drive amp models are a bit disappointing. It's lucky you can use the distortions to get good tones off the good cleans of the other amps though. Thanks for the tip. I've been setting the input rackmount to learn every time
HNTD!
i've gotten to use amplitube before, which is somewhat similar, it was pretty cool, but the price of the software and good monitors etc. would have come out to the same price as my ac15
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Yeah, you have to be careful with the high gain tones. They can easily get out of hand. I spent ages crafting a cool Machine Head tone, took a 5 minute break, came back and the first thing I did was turn the gain down to 5. The odd thing is that the High gain amps on GRIII suck, or at least I can't get them to sound good. I get better results using an OR80 and a Demonizer

Carrot: You have one!

Jen: I'm a computer geek.

i have one what

you will have to forgive me, ive been drinking all night
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by jj1565
yeah that stuff just gives me a huge headache.

Me too. I don't know why....

Still, sweet!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Damn, that sounds nice. I play metal and was using Guitar Rig 3. Then I read the Ug's Official Guide to VST Amp Simulation (which is only metal distortion so far, btw) and they all said Guitar Rig sucks. I'm getting much better results with other VST:s, but damn that tone you got rocks.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Whatever works for the person I guess. I like the metal tones I'm getting out of it at the moment but I know I can get them to be better. I'll post a metal clip later so you can see how it compares
Quote by unet
Any Latency on the monitor?

I tried Guitar Rig once....didn't really work out well though.

Latency depends on your input interface.

I have both Guitar Rig and the Peavey Revalver. I find that the most important part of having a computer rig is the interface. Too bad it still doesn't beat the feel of a physical rig tho.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
the ONLY issue i found with guitar rig was the lag you get from sound, it was about 13-20MS but i find it's still a bit annoying, also just the fact my PC speakers ain't all that top notch so it's a bit annoying
I can turn mine down to 4ms. My mac's sound card is pretty good and I have an external firewire interface anyway.
I dunno how much latency I have, but I don't notice any. I'm using the Zoom G2.1U (yes, it's a MFX pedal) on bypass, guitar plugged into that and all. The problem when monitoring your playing is that you can sometimes hear the bypassed signal, but that's not a problem when recording.

Edit: Oh, and when I started using Reaper and read some stuff about mixing, I realised how important bass really is. The guitar tones on the newest thign I'm working on sound shrill and very digital alone, but with drums and bass they're good
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Aug 19, 2009,
I love using GR3 to record idea's and stuff, but the latency is a bastard. How do I get it down? Do I just have to bite the bullet and buy something external? Any help is appreciated.

But yeah, the Citrus model sounds nothing like an Orange amp. The JCM800 model is the best one for dirty stuff and the JC model is the best for cleans, IMO.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Download the 8505 preamp and SoloC preamp for some additional fun

they're free
WTLTL 2011
i use a scooped combo, and change it up a bit, sounds alright but i do prefer a real amp, GR3 is great for like... silent practice with headphones i find headphones with amps to sound awful

the other issue i find with speakers / computer EQs, just because it sounds like that on your PC doesn't mean it will sound like that on another PC , which is rather annoying,

Everything i do i have to reduce bass because my PC speakers have way to much bass, so when i listen to it on another computer, there's not enough bass
If you want high gain tones get Amplitube imo that thing blows GR3 out of the water, so much easier to get a good tone.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Hey if you don't mind me asking, how did you record with GR3?

Right now I play through the standalone version with a bypass signal and USB, sounds alright but I find the higher gain amps to be really noisy [despite noise gate] or not have enough gain in them.

Is your output signal the computers sound card or does it go back into the interface?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I know, most of the actual drive amp models are a bit disappointing. It's lucky you can use the distortions to get good tones off the good cleans of the other amps though. Thanks for the tip. I've been setting the input rackmount to learn every time

I'd leave the input at 0 or else it crappifies the signal. If I need any extra boosting, I boost the analog input volume on my actual sound interface. I don't know, boosting guitar using 1's and 0's just doesn't sound right.
Quote by Kurapica
I love using GR3 to record idea's and stuff, but the latency is a bastard. How do I get it down? Do I just have to bite the bullet and buy something external? Any help is appreciated.

But yeah, the Citrus model sounds nothing like an Orange amp. The JCM800 model is the best one for dirty stuff and the JC model is the best for cleans, IMO.

IMO, you need an external interface to record. Otherwise you're just pumping money into a high performance sound card anyway.

Quote by Fama
Edit: Oh, and when I started using Reaper and read some stuff about mixing, I realised how important bass really is. The guitar tones on the newest thign I'm working on sound shrill and very digital alone, but with drums and bass they're good

I know, that's half the problem when you're crafting a tone using GR3's interface. I have to keep flipping into garageband to try it with bass. And I can't run both at the same time (inteface conflict) so I have to close it down and open it up again.

Quote by BoL7z
Everything i do i have to reduce bass because my PC speakers have way to much bass, so when i listen to it on another computer, there's not enough bass

Mastering is a fine art. my speakers are ****, so I use headphones. They're not bad, have an almost flat frequency response.

Quote by bucketmark
If you want high gain tones get Amplitube imo that thing blows GR3 out of the water, so much easier to get a good tone.

I'm posting a high gain clip in a mo, care to tell me how it compares?

Quote by ldragon-slayerl
Hey if you don't mind me asking, how did you record with GR3?

Right now I play through the standalone version with a bypass signal and USB, sounds alright but I find the higher gain amps to be really noisy [despite noise gate] or not have enough gain in them.

Is your output signal the computers sound card or does it go back into the interface?

I use Garageband, and what it does is load GR3 in plugin mode. you can make your presets using guitar rig's interface, close it down and open garageband and load them in the effects bays of your track. It just appears as "Guitar Rig MultiFX" in the list and the saved settings appear under presets.

Quote by MetalHead916
That clip sounds sweet.

This next one should be more your style I reckon.

Quote by BrickIsRed
I'd leave the input at 0 or else it crappifies the signal. If I need any extra boosting, I boost the analog input volume on my actual sound interface. I don't know, boosting guitar using 1's and 0's just doesn't sound right.

I have been very careful with the input volume. These BKP Nailbombs I have keep trying to push the interface circuitry, and it sounds lik ass
I haven't tried that one. Just tried Amplitude last week, it's pretty cool. My guess is you will find many a useful tone. Congrats Lee.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would use it, but the higher gain stuff is really noisy?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I would use it, but the higher gain stuff is really noisy?

There are noise gates/reductors you can add, which basically get rid of all but the expected noise. And FYI, that metal clip I added doesn't have a noise gate on any of it.

dudey:
Hmm, not terrible, but seems... muffled. Would benefit from louder guitars and quieter drums. Check out mine (VST test). It's using a free amp sim called Nick Crowe's 8505. I admit the guitar tone is shrill when played alone, but it's ok in the mix. Although I probably should tweak it to get rid of some of that shrillness and digitalness.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing you didn't use impulses, which are pretty much needed if you want a great metal distortion tone. Check this out if you're interested https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

Edit2: Changing the clip to an updated one.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Kurapica

All you need is Asio4All. I've got about 5 ms latency with it, totally useable.
Check out the clip in my profile, my friend made it with GR3.
I can put up more clips if you want to.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by hansolo1106
All you need is Asio4All. I've got about 5 ms latency with it, totally useable.
Check out the clip in my profile, my friend made it with GR3.
I can put up more clips if you want to.

Very Kings of Leon. I do like the guitar tones, the bass is a little odd, maybe too much treble? Apart from that it sounds great, especially the drums.

Fama: I did think afterwards that the guitars aren't really at the front of the mix. I'll remove the matrix reverb on it and see what that does. I'm checking impulses now.
For impulses I think you need to run some sort of a DAW. I suggest Reaper

Basically you load Guitar Rig first (there's a VST version of it right?), disable the cab emulation, and run Voxengo Boogex or the other impulse loader after Guitar Rig. That should give you clearer and more realistic tones.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^hansolo1106 - that was a really nice clip of yours.

Nice and relaxing. Even with the aggressive middle part. I'm sure Lee will enjoy it. Expect a friend invite from me.

Thanks.

You can listen to some more clips at my friend's myspace: http://www.myspace.com/felperc
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5