I don't like the tone pot on my Hellraiser. It's only use is to make the thing sound like muddy ****. So, I planned on removing it and putting a killswitch in it's place. My question is, if I rip the pot out, will it alter the tone? Is it gonna sound like it would when the knob was all the way up, or all the way down?
rather than rip the tone pot out... just tuck it into the cavity. I did that and put a killswitch in its place.
Well, I just kinda want it out of the equation. Does it do anything to the tone if It's gone? What you've described is what I've got right now, I'd just feel better knowing the damn thing wasn't there.
Quote by FryingNemo
It's only use is to make the thing sound like muddy ****.

thats basicly what i think of MOST tone pots.

i dont get WHY there called TONE, when they just SUCK the tone out of it.?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by FryingNemo
I don't like the tone pot on my Hellraiser. It's only use is to make the thing sound like muddy ****. So, I planned on removing it and putting a killswitch in it's place. My question is, if I rip the pot out, will it alter the tone? Is it gonna sound like it would when the knob was all the way up, or all the way down?
all the way up. actually, just a tad brighter.
You might say by removing the pot and cap, it will go to eleven.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I'd just completely remove the tone pot if i were you. All you really need is $15 and basic soldering skills. Also it'll just sound like your pot's turned all the way up.

EDIT: Wtf is with everyone's avatars? God damn, I leave this place for 3 days, return and everything's gone psycho
Last edited by Schism1985 at Aug 18, 2009,
I will be watching this thread. I've thought about doing this for a long time.
RIP Tom Searle.
$15 and soldering skills to remove it or reattach it? Removing it sounds easy enough...couple seconds of clipping with wire cutters sounds good.

*Robert Stack Voice* UPDATE!!! MH400, I like the '9000' reference.
Last edited by FryingNemo at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by Schism1985
I'd just completely remove the tone pot if i were you. All you really need is $15 and basic soldering skills. Also it'll just sound like your pot's turned all the way up.

EDIT: Wtf is with everyone's avatars? God damn, I leave this place for 3 days, return and everything's gone psycho

Check your profile in a few, I'll try to explain what happened.

Also, TS, I think it'd be a good idea to maybe play with the capacitor first, try out some lower or higher values first, then think about removing it, maybe you haven't found what you needed yet.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Just unsolder the wires going to and from it and replace it with a killswitch. It will have no effect on your tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by FryingNemo
$15 and soldering skills to remove it or reattach it? Removing it sounds easy enough...couple seconds of clipping with wire cutters sounds good.
BE CAREFUL

Sometimes the connections at the tone pot continue on elsewhere. If you have only one connection to hot and only one to ground from the rest of the circuit to the tone pot, you can just clip. But if you have more than one of each, you have to know what to cut and what to leave connected together.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by bv310
Also, TS, I think it'd be a good idea to maybe play with the capacitor first, try out some lower or higher values first, then think about removing it, maybe you haven't found what you needed yet.
He needs the hole for a killswitch anyway, Brock.
No point in drilling a new hole for the sake of keeping a tone pot he doesn't use.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Schism1985
Removing or reattaching. Plus you're going to need a way to install the kill switch somehow, right?

I was gonna have a friend solder it for me. Not too confident in my own skills.

UPDATE!!!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
BE CAREFUL

Sometimes the connections at the tone pot continue on elsewhere. If you have only one connection to hot and only one to ground from the rest of the circuit to the tone pot, you can just clip. But if you have more than one of each, you have to know what to cut and what to leave connected together.

This is why I was gonna have my friend help me. I'm not familiar with any of this terminology.
Last edited by FryingNemo at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by bv310
Check your profile in a few, I'll try to explain what happened.

can u also explain to me what happend cause im also sorta trippin out on this
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
He needs the hole for a killswitch anyway, Brock.
No point in drilling a new hole for the sake of keeping a tone pot he doesn't use.

Touché. I missed that killswitch part.

Definitely go for a momentary switch if you do. It'll be easier to do fun stuff with if you're not rocking the toggle switch.

EDIT: Just check his profile, it's on there. I cba to retype it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Doesn't the Hellraiser have two volume knobs? If it does then you shouldn't need a killswitch. What I do on my C-1 is I turn the one of the pickups all the way down, then the pickup selector is essentially a killswitch. I find that if I leave the selector in the middle position, the guitar will me completely muted, and all I have to do is nude the switch to un-mute it, so I can get those fast killswitch effects.
I removed the tone pot from my bass the other day, took 5 mins and was simple.

I'm really happy with the results.

Seymour Duncan website for wiring diagrams.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.