Page 1 of 17
I searched.

So, is an individual who joins the Military and fights for his country a hero?

In my opinion, no, they are not. They are brave, certainly, but it is a job nonetheless. Killing other people for your country does not make you a hero, in my opinion. I would like to hear the pit's.

Opinions?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I dont think so.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by metaldud536
Well, in combat it's kill or be killed.

Indeed, but they signed up for it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Yes, they are a hero. Are you saying that firefighter or policemen aren't heroes? Those are both jobs. I feel if you put your life on the line for something you believe in then you are a hero in my book.
Quote by DardoBoy
Yes, they are a hero. Are you saying that firefighter or policemen aren't heroes? Those are both jobs. I feel if you put your life on the line for something you believe in then you are a hero in my book.

this
I believe they are. That's why you always hear them talking of dying for their country, not killing.
Quote by DardoBoy

I am saying that they are not heroes, yes. Very brave, but not heroes.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by metaldud536
Ok.

I don't know why, but this brought the lulz for me... I'm pathetic
Quote by DardoBoy

I definitely wouldn't call a policeman a hero.

What if you put your life on the line for fascism? Or a false cause?
Quote by Myfirstpubes
And if they didnt sign up for it?

Doesn't make them heroes, it makes them survivalists.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by DardoBoy

terrorists are heroes then?nice one
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
TS, I'm thinking the idea of being a hero isn't so black and white. It's just a word in the end. People in the military are signing up for something that is incredibly dangerous, but the whole "believing in" is ridiculous. The idea that every soldier who fights believes entirely in what he's doing, and that's the only motivation is unrealistic.
The playground of the world
Killing for your country doesn't make you a hero.
Killing and risking your life for your brothers in the field and for everyone back home, does.
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
If they took a bullet for someone else in the army, then yes.

And not all of them necessarily are brave if they didn't know what they're getting themselves into when they signed up. The commercials on TV do a good job at misleading people.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by Craigo

If you believe in a cause that others do not, does that make it a false cause? its all in perspective. You may say that a terrorist is the lowest form of humanity on the planet, and by no means do I support it, but to some they are heroes and to others they are scum.

They same goes for soldiers. To some they are putting their lives on the line and that is enough to be a hero, for others they are nothing special. Look up some history on Vietnam and compare it with that of WWII, they can be compared in some ways but people see them as completely opposite situations.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Quote by Craigo

Why not? A non-corrupt policeman is paid to protect the common people from harm. Now I will admit that some of the laws that they uphold aren't fair or correct, but the majority of the laws that law enforcement agencies uphold are in place for our well being and safety.

Quote by ilovepepsi

Not to me because I don't believe in their cause, but to people that believe in them, then yes they are. "Hero" is subjective.

edit: sorry for the double post
Last edited by DardoBoy at Aug 18, 2009,
edit: ^ I agree with the 2nd point. Basically my post summed up.

Everyone has a different definition of a hero. Fundamentalist Christians think a man who kills an abortion doctor is a hero; fundamendalist Muslims think that the 9/11 terrorists were heroes and a large number of Britons think that soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan are heroes. One persons hero is another persons enemy.
*Stickies thread to read in the morning*

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Last edited by hugh20 at Aug 18, 2009,
i respect the fact that our men and women in the service signed away their lives in order to try and make the lives of others better.

edit: most soldiers don't sign up to kill. they sign up to protect.
Last edited by add_g at Aug 18, 2009,
"being a hero" is realy complicated

if by saving someones life means u must take away some1 elses doesnt make u a hero

firemen are hero

doctors are heros

people who go somewhere cuz theirs political leader says so.......is not a hero
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by fretsofthebeast
"being a hero" is realy complicated

if by saving someones life means u must take away some1 elses doesnt make u a hero

firemen are hero

doctors are heros

people who go somewhere cuz theirs political leader says so.......is not a hero

Again, "hero" is a subjective term so stop treating it like your OPINION=FACT
Quote by DardoBoy
Again, "hero" is a subjective term so stop treating it like your OPINION=FACT

i never said it was fact.....i was just stating MY OPINION
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
There are hero's in the military. But being in the military does not make you a hero.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by fretsofthebeast
i never said it was fact.....i was just stating MY OPINION

I apologize, just the way you worded your comments made it seem like fact...which I guess is a good thing in debate.
Heros to me, directly saves lives. Firemen are heros to me. Not army and police.

Edit: i agree with the point being made that there are hero in the military. but being military doesn't make you a hero.
Last edited by epic7734 at Aug 18, 2009,
Been there, done that. Was I a hero? Nope. Just a regular guy.
But there are guys in the military who are heroes, just as there are heroes in every walk of life.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
No they aren't.

You have to actually do something heroic.

Some CAN be heroes, but not all are.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Been there, done that. Was I a hero? Nope. Just a regular guy.
But there are guys in the military who are heroes, just as there are heroes in every walk of life.

You win the topic, as usual SYK. And did you really serve in the armed forces?
Perhaps Wulphy would like his grandchildren to be forced to learn Arabic and forced to live the fundamentalist Muslim lifestyle. That's the stated objective of the people who our soldiers are protecting Wulphy's grandchildren from. And that's their timeline.

Apparently if you don't want that forced on your descendants, then you have a false cause. WTF?
Quote by DardoBoy
You win the topic, as usual SYK. And did you really serve in the armed forces?
Yeah, Air Force. Army has a better promotion program, but we had the best chow.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Wulphy
Oh please, you brainwashed conservatist moron. We started this war with the Arabs, not them. They are as much of a threat to us as hot coffee is to your mouth. They aren't protecting me from them, they are killing them for the monetary gain of American corporations and the Media.

Truth.
I'm not creative enough for a cool sig.
Quote by Wulphy
Oh please, you brainwashed conservatist moron. We started this war with the Arabs, not them. They are as much of a threat to us as hot coffee is to your mouth. They aren't protecting me from them, they are killing them for the monetary gain of American corporations and the Media.
Way to take the bait and derail your own thread, genius.

Take it to the political thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by ilovepepsi

Heroism is dependent on who you ask; islamic suicide bombers are "martyrs" to their peers (well, ex-peers). I personally believe that soldiers are heroes as they are willing to die and kill for their country, preferably kill.

Heroism is determined more by the cause than by actions. America has always waged wars in either defense of ourselves, defense of an ally, or in defense of human rights, never to gain territory or to create an empire; America is a liberator not an occupier. Soldiers are willing and ready to die you and I, as well as American ideals. How can that not be considered heroism?
Quote by Wulphy

As much as I want to agree with you, you're wrong. The extremist muslims started this war with us on September 11th 2001. It would be silly to debate otherwise. They killed 3000 of our own people, the first attack that has ever happened on continental US soil, and they did it without us knowing about their plan.

To the guy who are arguing with: we don't have to kill muslims because they want to expand their culture.

In conclusion; you're an extremist liberal and youre arguing with an extremist republican, you both need to lighten up a bit if you want to get anything done in this world.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison