Alright, I'm looking for a good song to play on my acoustic in Half-Step Down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but I am especially looking for a good love song to play to my girl
Brand New - The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Obvious answer is Patience by Guns N Roses, also Rose of Pain by X Japan or Don't Say Goodbye by Axel Rudi Pell, last one in particular would work well to impress a girl...
Anything you want. I play nearly everything a half-step down because it suits my voice a bit better.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Dashboard Confessional might just be what you're looking for. Most of the stuff is in Open C# tuning (C# A# C# C# C# C#), but some of them are in half-step down. Remember to Breathe, The Good Fight, The Places You Have Come to Fear The Most, Swiss Army Romance, and I believe Hands Down and Vindicated. Hands down whether its Standard E or a half step lower than that is deffinitely the type of song to sing to your girlfriend.

Other than that the only one I know of is a christian song called Liquid by Jars Of Clay
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Guns N Roses: Patience
Guns N Roses: Out Ta Get Me
Rise Against: Swing Life Away
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by eyeplayguitar
Everlong

Everlong is in Drop D
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by roamingbard13
Anything you want. I play nearly everything a half-step down because it suits my voice a bit better.

This. I almost never play in E nowadays.
A lot of Relient K's stuff is half step down. Try out Must Have Done Something Right. Great girl song
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd is i think.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
"don't be so hard" by the audition, and "three cheers for five years" by mayday parade.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
alice in chains play most of there songs 1/2 step down. buckethead does also and his songs are always fun to play. stuff like the wondering, for mom, homing beacon. etc
Quote by bendystraw
This shit is seriously retarded.
I'm bound to pack it up - The White Stripes
Control your destiny.
if you have a deep voice, go with Outside by Staind, my gf loves when I play it, and if mine is anything like yours, she will just like the fact your singing to her.
Quote by johnny08
alice in chains play most of there songs 1/2 step down. buckethead does also and his songs are always fun to play. stuff like the wondering, for mom, homing beacon. etc

Yea, Buckethead's "acoustic shards" album is all in Eb it's pretty good.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
anything you can play in standard tuning you can play the exact same way if you tune all the strings down the same amount. my husband keeps some of his guitars tuned down a full step, but every song i know i can play on 'em just fine.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Exactly. You're going to play in a key that you can sing in, regardless of how the guitar is tuned. I jam with a folk/bluegrass group now and then, and a lot of the guys keep their vintage instruments tuned down a bit just for safety's sake (or because they're using medium-gauge strings) and simply capo to play at "concert" pitch.
Makes it confusing to play along, you have to transpose in your head...
Jimmy Needham's Firefly or Unfailing Love. I'd avoid the latter if you don't intend to get serious just yet (he wrote it to propose to his now-wife). I'm surprised no one has suggested Plain White T's; pretty much anything off their first album will do the job, with particular emphasis on 1234 or Hey There Delilah. If she's a bit of a rocker, Muse's Unintended may also work, as would Coheed and Cambria's Iron Fist, Wake Up, or Pearl of the Stars.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Good Charlotte - Girls & Boys/Motivation Proclamation.

I have mine tuned a half step down all the time. Just what i preffer.
This seems like a bit of a pointless thread tbh.

Why do you specifically wanna play in only a half step down? I could understand if you requested songs in more special tunings like DADGAD etc.
If you want to play along to songs, you can in/decrease the pitch in an audacity-style program, and if it's cuz you can't sing in normal tuning, you can obviously learn songs in normal tuning and play them while tuned half a step down.

Why this restriction? Is basically my question!
Quote by Dark_Althalus
Brand New - The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

/end thread.
You do realise this thread is 3 years old? You bumped it for a second time.
RIP Adam
As Mausmaus notes... I was a bit confused by all this. Way back when I started, it was common to tune down 12-strings by a whole step due to the extreme tension of the 12 strings, and then capo appropriately.
Other than that, everyone played in standard tuning and if a tune was in a key that didn't suit your voice, you either transposed the thing or you used a capo.

This is what I see a lot of locally, guys with vintage instruments will tune the thing down for less stress, then capo to play in more-normal keys.

Now, let's say you learned a tune in "G" but it felt a little high for you. Playing it in F# would maybe put it in the right range, but that's a very awkward key for acoustic guitar.
You could play it in the "E" position chords, capo'ed up two frets... That would put you in F# and a more guitar-friendly chord situation.
All without tuning the whole instrument down.

I don't play anything other than standard tuning on my regular axe, and nothing but open G on my resonators. Can't keep all that stuff straight.
Quote by Bikewer
A....[ ]...... Way back when I started, it was common to tune down 12-strings by a whole step due to the extreme tension of the 12 strings, and then capo appropriately.
Oh gee thanks, for reminding me I'm a throwback, since I still do that to this day.

In my own defense let me point out, today's strings still have plenty of tension, today's trees aren't specially bred to be able to withstand said tension, and last, but certainly not least, today's soundboards aren't any thicker.

But my bizarre behaviour doesn't stop at merely tuning down! Oh no, I tune my twelves with the capo in place. I've deluded myself into thinking that avoids some tension differentials, which cause intonation errors.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 26, 2012,