So I finally got enough courage to try and maintain my guitars, and it started with a problem of my new guitar that I recently got 3-4 weeks ago. It is a Strat, and the action is low, but the bridge seems to be highered all the way. A friend of mine told me there is too much relief on the neck, would this be the case? and if so, what way do I turn the alan wrench to tighten the truss rod and how much of a turn? He told me to experiment with 1/8 of a turn.
no dont experiment.

click the green link in my sig.

look at the first page, then ask questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
1/8 of a turn at a time is a good idea. Make sure you use a straightedge or something to check and make sure the neck is actually bent.
I would bring it to a shop that knows what their doing, and have them explain to you what to look for and what to do for next time.
Quote by Jason_Dionne
I would bring it to a shop that knows what their doing, and have them explain to you what to look for and what to do for next time.

do this. if i was going to try and adjust the truss rod for the first time, i wouldn't do it on a guitar i just bought. i would try on a guitar that i don't care about as much.
i dont know why guys go into a thread where a guy asks how to setup, because he's going to start maintaining guitars, just to tell the guy to take it to a shop.

i mean, dont you think he already knows that, that is an option?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
i dont know why guys go into a thread where a guy asks how to setup, because he's going to start maintaining guitars, just to tell the guy to take it to a shop.

i mean, dont you think he already knows that, that is an option?

yeah but he should take it to a shop and have them show him instead of coming on here and having someone try and explain it to him. idk, i'm a visual learner. so i would rather watch someone do it to learn how.
Quote by metalmlitiachaz
yeah but he should take it to a shop and have them show him instead of coming on here and having someone try and explain it to him. idk, i'm a visual learner. so i would rather watch someone do it to learn how.

i get you. but maybe if you feel you have to post in a thread like this, you should say,

"i'm afraid to adjust my truss rod, so i choose to take it into a shop."
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Truss rods are a no-no. Unless you are extremely qualified I wouldn't go near one.

If someone knowledgeable teaches you, thats one thing. Then Go ahead and adjust it. But doing it wrong can permanently ruin your guitar. If its a brand new strat (like a real fender) you shouldn't even be having that problem, fender should fix if for free or give you a new one.
Quote by blade_shredder
Truss rods are a no-no. Unless you are extremely qualified I wouldn't go near one.

If someone knowledgeable teaches you, thats one thing. Then Go ahead and adjust it. But doing it wrong can permanently ruin your guitar. If its a brand new strat (like a real fender) you shouldn't even be having that problem, fender should fix if for free or give you a new one.

he's asking how to adjust it.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

the reason we tell someone to take it to a shop is cause he might actually think he can do it himself. its questionable. I prefer to err on the side that doesnt result in someone snapping the neck on a new guitar. is he really going to buy a setup kit from stewmac for $100 for a $500 guitar. probably not.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by messiah01
So I finally got enough courage to try and maintain my guitars, and it started with a problem of my new guitar that I recently got 3-4 weeks ago. It is a Strat, and the action is low, but the bridge seems to be highered all the way. A friend of mine told me there is too much relief on the neck, .

A new strat shouldn't be having major problems. And adjusting your truss rod improperly can have very negative consequences.
Quote by fullsailstudent
the reason we tell someone to take it to a shop is cause he might actually think he can do it himself. its questionable. I prefer to err on the side that doesnt result in someone snapping the neck on a new guitar. is he really going to buy a setup kit from stewmac for $100 for a $300 guitar. probably not.

in 5+ year's i've never had anyone i've ever instructed break their neck.

there is a setup thread at the top of the page. no one who has ever been given truss rod advice in there has ever broken their neck.

it's like 50,000-100, 000 posts, i dont even know anymore.

you can all stop telling him to take it to a shop. he already knows that's an option.

are you kidding about the setup kit?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by blade_shredder
A new strat shouldn't be having major problems. And adjusting your truss rod improperly can have very negative consequences.

hey good thing you posted. i dont think anyone here has mentioned that randomly turning a truss rod is a bad thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Turning a truss rod randomly is a VERY bad idea, don't do it.
  • NEVER adjust more than 1/4 of a turn at a time.
  • ALWAYS let the neck settle overnight before you measure again.
  • NEVER use the truss rod to adjust action.
  • ALWAYS check your relief after you let it settle.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jj1565
hey good thing you posted. i dont think anyone here has mentioned that randomly turning a truss rod is a bad thing.

so he gets +1 for telling him that bad things will happen if he makes a bad adjustment but you dont think I should suggest he take it to a shop? and you also dont think he needs a real straight edge?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
so he gets +1 for telling him that bad things will happen if he makes a bad adjustment but you dont think I should suggest he take it to a shop? and you also dont think he needs a real straight edge?

you don't though, that's what the string is for. Seriously.

Fret at the 18th and the first, and look at about the 8th fret.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by fullsailstudent

i was being sarcastic with him. he was like the 4th person to say the same thing.

i just got tired of repeating myself with the lot of you.

none of it matters anyway, the ts got scared away for now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't know why everyone is so scared of truss rod adjustment. It's not friggin rocket science...

Rules to follow

1. READ READ READ. The setup thread has been pointed out. But also consult the owners manual of your instrument if you have one. If not, follow Fender's. Truss Rod Admustment is pretty universal among all guitars.
http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/instr_owners/FenderGuitarsAndBasses2003.pdf

2. Make small adjustments, no more than 1/4 turn at a time

3. Wait several hours between each adjustment

4. If the adjustment you made did not have the effect you thought it would, STOP. Take to shop. Now I don't mean that if the adjustment didn't make ENOUGH change...I only mean if you thought the neck would bend this way, but it actually bent the other or not at all...

Simple.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear