I'm off to college in a few days and I already have a drummer and a bassist to jam with. If I were to start a band to play seriously with, what qualities should I look for in a lead vocalist?

I'm only asking because I was the vocalist in my other bands as well as playing guitar and it didn't sound as good as it could have.

This question is for musicians who have experience with this type of thing.
he/she needs to be into the thing, needs to push the others hard, needs to have fun doing it...

most important is the need of will. really.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Expect to audition 20+ people before you find one. It's horrible. You'll go through singers who can't stay in key. You'll go through singers who can't write lyrics. You'll go through singers who are total headcases. You'll go through singers who can't/won't show up for practice. Bla bla bla. Take your time.
Confidence. Stamina. Perseverance. Adapatability and Irreplacibility.

They have to be the face of the band, the voice that cuts through the noise, and the drive that brings it home. They way you know you have a great frontman is in a question...."If they quit, will we die off and fade to black or relative obscurity" If the answer is yes, or maybe, odds are you dont have a good frontman.

Great frontmen in my mind have been....

Jim Morrisson
Zack De La Rocha
Chris Cornell
Ozzy
Gene Simmons

and on and on.....
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
The first time I saw U2("Boy" tour), I liked the band, but despised Bono. I still don't like him.
Send me a vid of the people you are considering, and hire the one I hate the most.
I hope Rock&RollStar was joking.

A frontman needs
A good voice
Stage presscence
Charisma
Motivation
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Confidence. Stamina. Perseverance. Adapatability and Irreplacibility.

They have to be the face of the band, the voice that cuts through the noise, and the drive that brings it home. They way you know you have a great frontman is in a question...."If they quit, will we die off and fade to black or relative obscurity" If the answer is yes, or maybe, odds are you dont have a good frontman.

Great frontmen in my mind have been....

Jim Morrisson
Zack De La Rocha
Chris Cornell
Ozzy
Gene Simmons

and on and on.....

This + Tim McIlrath from Rise Against.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

what's wrong with cool hair?
Personally, I'd go for vocal quality and talent.

Call me crazy.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist

Call me crazy.

nonsense! cool hair is much more important.

...this was a wasted post, sorry.
Quote by Guitartist

Call me crazy.

good point.

-find someone with similair intrests, invite them to a practise, see if it works, repeat if nessesary.

Could be a long process but you'll know when you find the right one.
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

Well then, I'm sorry to dissapoint

No, but seriously, commitment, talent, enthusiasm, motivation. The important stuff.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by chokmool
The first time I saw U2("Boy" tour), I liked the band, but despised Bono. I still don't like him.
Send me a vid of the people you are considering, and hire the one I hate the most.

I have nothing constructive to add - this post just made me happy in many different ways.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by GrisKy
what's wrong with cool hair?

D'you have any idea how many talentless bands have stupid haircuts?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Needs to be...easy to look at, or look uniquely odd.. But also, good ability, a will to move further, and a checked ego.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Iggy Pop. One of the best. I'm not good at links, but Google: Iggy Pop+Tom Snyder. A short description of what I and many others who do this are about. I could say more , but Iggy does it better than me.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

relax dude, I'm just kiddin' around.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

you have a point...

But now that I look back on it...
Quote by Lchoke
balls

+1
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Rock&RollStar at Aug 30, 2009,
they have to be attention grabbing, confident, have a good voice and preferably write lyrics. Being witty with the audience also helps a lot
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pretty much all these tips being given (except for cool hair, hehe) are pretty good.

You need a frontman who will turn heads. They needs to be lively, charismatic, and have intense stamina. They must have a powerful voice and great technique with it (range, emotion, dynamics, etc.), who also has a talent in writing lyrics.

But most importantly, attitude, emotion, and being "into it" make all the difference as opposed to someone who has a great voice but just doesn't feel the music. Just be careful of egotists.

Talk to friends for their skill orrefferrals and look at local bands. Also, utilize your college! Talk to people, pay attention to the musicians there, and check out their theatre department.