Not sure if this belongs here but what the hey. My goal in life isn't to be a pro musician, but it is my favorite thing to do. I spent a year researching and building my own amp, I have a very expensive effects board and a really nice guitar that I take really good care of. On top of that I can get a deep, clear sound that nobody else I know can duplicate because of how much time I spent tinkering with settings, the point here is that ultimately people always want to play my gear. Problem is my gear is like my baby and I don't want anyone touching it, especially with new people. I am unsure if this is uncommon for people to do, I say no to requests about 50% of the time. I'm wondering what you guys would think if you asked to try someone's guitar and they said no.
I meant new, as in people i don't know. If they have no experience playing, screw that.
i'm a lefty, so nearly nobody would play my guitar.. i dont let anybody play my pedalboard, but they can have fun with amp, why not..

but if i was you i probably wouldnt let anybody touch it. maybe only the ones you trust (friends?)

EDIT: DO NOT let people you dont know use it. seriously

i thought of a line my teacher told me once:

you can borrow anything but a car and a wife (but in this case your gear is the wife )
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Last edited by Serjem at Aug 19, 2009,
well, i understand when people don't want me using their gear, i'm usually reluctant to let people use my gear, not so much amps, but mostly guitars. cause i don't sweat a whole lot but other people do and then i can't stand playing and i end up repalcing perfectly fine strings.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
it's funny that when I do let someone play it, it's like, no don't touch that nob, no don't press that. and then I cringe whenever they move around.
There are exactly 8 really close people who I let touch any of my gear. The majority of the guitarists, musicians and people I know are generally disrespectful and or completely ignorant of what they are doing when playing or plugging in and tend to damage everything they touch or rape whatever settings I've been working on. I used to be really cool with most people using my stuff but now unless your on of the select 8 don't even ask.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Don't be a prick about it, but it's fine to say that you built the equipment and feel uncomfortable letting others be in a position to damage it.

I'm always bad at getting in confrontations by accident, I don't mean to be a prick usually, but I would just say no because usually when I try to use reason people just keep on pushing then I get mad and look like even more of a jerk.

Dude: hey, can I play your guitar

Me: sorry man, it's my baby and I don't like anyone touching it

Dude: come on, I won't wreck it

Me: nawww, it's cool, but no

Dude: come on, I'm not stupid, I just want to hear myself play it

Me: I said no, don't make me repeat myself.

Dude: woahh..... no need to be a dick about it, jeese
Quote by farcry
I'm always bad at getting in confrontations by accident, I don't mean to be a prick usually, but I would just say no because usually when I try to use reason people just keep on pushing then I get mad and look like even more of a jerk.
A good friend will get over it quick, and a reasonable person will recognize logic, so you can't be afraid to make a comment that someone doesn't want to hear.

Try getting the exchange to go something like this:

Chick: Hey, can I play your guitar?

You: I built my equipment and it's rather delicate. I'm not yet comfortable with risking having someone else break something.

Chick: You build your own equipment? I've always wanted to sex someone like that!

Modify your line to fit the scenario and hope that the chick's final line happens every so often. Also, you don't have to be completely honest about everything. It's okay to tweak the details a bit.
i dont really see what the huge deal is. just tell them they can try it but not to change the settings. whats so hard about that. and even if they did, you cant put them back? i dunno i only have three pedals so maybe id be more like you if i had a bigger board. plus i dont make my own amps. but even then, they can really hurt it by playing it.

now thats if they wanted to plug into your gear. if they also want to play your guitar, thats different. id say it really depends on you. if i had a very expensive guitar i wouldnt want just anyone messing around with it. you cant really drop an amp or a pedal but you can always drop a guitar or bang it against something or who knows. i would only trust good friends and people who know what they are doing. for example, i have one of the first 10 made dobros at home. kind of a look but cant touch for anyone but me. i might let an experienced player use it though.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i dont really see what the huge deal is. just tell them they can try it but not to change the settings. whats so hard about that. and even if they did, you cant put them back? i dunno i only have three pedals so maybe id be more like you if i had a bigger board. plus i dont make my own amps. but even then, they can really hurt it by playing it.

now thats if they wanted to plug into your gear. if they also want to play your guitar, thats different. id say it really depends on you. if i had a very expensive guitar i wouldnt want just anyone messing around with it. you cant really drop an amp or a pedal but you can always drop a guitar or bang it against something or who knows. i would only trust good friends and people who know what they are doing. for example, i have one of the first 10 made dobros at home. kind of a look but cant touch for anyone but me. i might let an experienced player use it though.

a: at high volumes, speakers have a natural distortion to them, it takes very fine adjustment to get the sound clear without feedback. If someone messes with a few of the 20+ knobs on my pedalboard it'll take me a lot of effort to get back to perfect.
It's why people often discredit pedalboards, because all the sound is connected in one place and it takes such fine tuning and extensive knowledge of the programming. Move the gain .1/10 on the preamp and the sound goes to shi#

b: it's that people usually want to play my guitar too, watching someone move around I just cringe in fear.
Last edited by farcry at Aug 19, 2009,
I don't baby my guitar (i think its useless its not a damn human or a wife its a damn guitar, of course i understand its different for some people) and i seriously dont give damn about people (especially when they know how to play) trying my guitar. I even find it funny when they ask if they can, all shy like i would get pissed if he took it without asking. I have for my main axe an american fender telecaster (workhorse) and it already has a couple nicks on it and i like it that way. Even with children, sometime ill be showing them my skill and when i drop the guitar they ask me if they can play with it. then i tell them how much the guitar is worth and to be careful with it while handing them the thing. Their eyes grow all big and full of star when they actually have it in their hand and they usually threat it like it was the most important thing in the world. Most cute thing to see in the world. i mean especially with children if you never let them show they can be responsible (in the measure of common sense) and never show them confidence they are never gonna fn grow.

but of course i dont build my own amp and i swap setting every five minutes.

but you can always mark your setting with liquid paper (thats what i do sometime for gigs) or write them on a piece of paper.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Last edited by ModestAxis at Aug 19, 2009,
Yeah none of my guitars get the "Cameron's dad's car" treatment, mainly because I beat the hell out of them while playing, so babying them afterwards is pointless. One of these days I'll post pics of my Les Paul missing a 3rd of its paint, with a couple of holes in the body and a repaired headstock that once snapped like a pencil. Still sounds badass, though.

I don't particularly mind someone using my gear so long as I'm present. All my settings are noted in a sheet kept in my gear box, so no worries there. I've yet to let someone use my gear who's as hard on it as I am.

I'd probably be just as hard on a six thousand dollar PRS as I am on my
400 dollar ibanez. I did go overboard when i got pissed a while back because my selector switch was acting up and hammer-fisted my ibanez, and it sunk the neck pickup and wrecked the neck. I had to re-adjust everything. The action was all of a sudden a quarter inch high. Took maybe half an hour. No big deal.
I'm tremendously respectful of other people's gear when they are kind enough to let me use it, though.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Try getting the exchange to go something like this:

Chick: Hey, can I play your guitar?

You: I built my equipment and it's rather delicate. I'm not yet comfortable with risking having someone else break something.

Chick: You build your own equipment? I've always wanted to sex someone like that!

That's it...I'm gonna build me an amp!

I don't really mind people playing my guitar, it only tends to be people I know anyway so I'm fine with it. I know that they'll respect my wishes if I ask them not to change a setting.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Aug 19, 2009,
I dont know about you but instead of treating the guitar as my baby.

I treat it as an extension of my body yeah it sounds like a corny Kung-Fu Swordsmanship thing, but i'm chinese so im allowed.

Anyway, i would usually let somebody play my guitar if their in sight and going to stay that way, but i am slightly less of a perfectionist when it comes to my guitar settings, and enjoy the use of feedback
Not really no..
I would only let about 3 close friends ever use it..
but it's pointless when they do anyway because they all get anxious and nervous whenever other people are watching them play.. mainly me... i don't know
Don't Be Afraid and just look across Blue Fields.
You'll eventually see the Fisherman's Horizon.
I would never let anyone I don't trust touch my gear.

This is the question you should ask yourself before letting anyone borrow anything of value:

If they break it, do you trust them to pay for it/ fix it/ replace it?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
I only lend stuff to people who i know will give it back/replace it if it gets broken, unless it's cheap stuff. Only give people a shot of your stuff if they know what they're doing and if you trust them.
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
I let people I personally know borrow my gear, like the guitarist in my band, because I play drums I have no use for it so I let him borrow it for practices and shows. Because of this I can keep a close eye on it so nothing ever happens. You should never let someone you just met borrow your equipment unless you will be with it or close to it. Your shiz can end up getting broken or stolen, and that's not good :P
Gallien Krueger is awesome
Last edited by lionslicer9999 at Aug 31, 2009,
i personally only let people that i know are respectful and knowledgeable touch my expensive stuff.