What do you guys think are some scales that every bass player should know?
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Major, minor(natural, harmonic, melodic, and if you really want, hungarian) dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, locrian, (I didn't put aolian mode since it's the same as natural minor) blues, major and minor pentatonic, chromatic, maybe a few others? Like super locrian?
yeah, basically all of them
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Learn your Major, Minor and Harmonic and Melodic Minors same forms as a guitar if you know them on a guitar. The modes arent any different than major and minor scales its the chords that make the difference, start figuring out what key you are in all the time and the scales will be simplified.
Quote by gilly_90
yeah, basically all of them

this.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well, if you want to play in a pop punk band (why are they allowed to be classified as 'bands' again?) you don't have to know anything except what chord the guitarist is playing!

.. I hate people.

On a serious note, get yourself a chord book and just start playing through it. Soon you'll build up muscle memory of all the scales and their modes. (Or a reasonable amount.)

I personally use the Bass Grimoire.
01011001011001010111001100101100001000000100100100100000011000010110110100100000011000010010000001101110011001010111001001100100001011100010000001000100011001010110000101101100001000000111011101101001011101000110100000100000011010010111010000100001
Last edited by SteelToedGirl at Aug 19, 2009,
Learn the lot, but you should know at least the basic Major, Minor (Natural, Harmonic and Melodic), Pentatonic Minors and Pentatonic majors. Get those down and move on to modes.
I know natural majors and minors and of course pentatonics. I can't bring myself to learn the harmonic and melodic minors or any of that mode stuff.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Natural Major and Minor

The Pentatonic scale both major and minor, blues is easy to get with this knowledge.

And then the mixolydian mode ... just cause i think it sounds good.

Everyone knows the chromatic scale even if they dont realize it, but it is useful for passing tones.

Ive yet to learn the harmonic and melodic minor scales ... the above can usually get me through the day so far anyway.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
minor/major pentatonic and blues
major and relative minors
harmonic and melodic minors
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
as shapes, I only really know pentatonic, major and minor. you can move notes up/down a semitone in the last two to get the modes.
Quote by SteelToedGirl
Well, if you want to play in a pop punk band (why are they allowed to be classified as 'bands' again?) you don't have to know anything except what chord the guitarist is playing!

.. I hate people.

Because they are bands and you are closed minded. And not all pop-punk has following basslines, not to mention that there are countless bands in ALL genres that DO follow the guitars (sure, there are virtuoso metal bassists, but look at all of the rootpounders, there are a lot of them).

Quote by Deliriumbassist
The A ascending melodic minor is A B C D E F# G# A
A Hungarian minor is A B C D# E F G# A

So is the descending melodic minor the same then?

I've always been under the impression that they were (well, in the world that is somehow pushing away the difference between the melodic minor. One 'guitar' book I found somewhere, granted it wasn't a very good one or whatever, didn't even have the difference between ascending and descending melodic minor)

I'm not sure though, I'm not really trained in this all that much
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Depends what you play. I'd say all of them. It's not hard.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
As many as possible.

I'm working on this. At the moment I know major, minor, pentatonic and blues. Not enough.
signature
Quote by lordofthefood1

So is the descending melodic minor the same then?

The descending melodic minor is the same as the natural minor. It's a little bit outdated to use it that way (or so some say) so jazz musicians thought they'd be all smart and said it should be the same both up and down. They call it the jazz minor scale.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Aug 19, 2009,
Recommended threads