ok so i dont know where to post this because it almost belongs to band leading but at the same time it belongs in this forum too. (sorry if i picked the one with the most affluence)

So me and a couple guys are starting a band (we have two guitar one bass one drum ill be signing and playing rhythm guitar). Up till now there is no real problem about that.

But we are i would say semi serious about it (meaning we plan on playing gig and releasing 1 or 2 indie album tour a bit and go on with our lives after that , we are not going after the mega hit or major label. If it happens why not but its not in our plan at all.)

The problem comes from our music genre... We are playing music really similar to early 90s Grunge. In fact we sound just about the same has Nirvana in their dirtiest Song (most of bleach album, Gallon of rubbing alcohol flowing trough stripes and scentless apprentice to name a few.)

our playing style is similar, our physic and presence on stage is similar (well we try too ), when i was a bit younger i started signing with Kurt Cobain voices so i sound similar to him too, our lyrics and theme are influenced by Kurt Cobain as well (not making alot of sense if taken sentence per sentence but if taken as whole you kinda get the point). And we like to have a kind of simple pop structure to our song and mess with it to **** it up. Of course our sound has evolved and is influenced by more recent band and style like nu metal / trash metal and melodic metal (i personally just don't enjoy screaming or growling). We also use more effect then kurt usual ds1/ds2 (i know there where a couple more but yeah you get the point) and we would like to try to see how electro fits in our genre (i think we would have to clean it up a bit to make it possible but its something that his gonna happen at one point when we are gonna be tired of stacking fuzzes and such.)
And i cant predict the future but of course as we play more together our sound is gonna change and become more unique.

Do you think it would still be possible to appeal people in gigs? or would we get booted off stage? Do you think clubs and gigs are gonna be interested by us? Do you think there is still a place for such music? Or are we just daydreaming?

Also how would you call it since calling it grunge is a no-no? I was thinking about Noise Rock or Psycho-grunge (please dont say post-grunge i hate band in that category and they dont sound like us at all.) not that i care that much about the category its just that id like to be able to tell what im playing when people ask.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
If you like your stuff, other people are bound to like your stuff. Just get on the stage and see what happens. You're gonna get boo'ed one night and praised on another.

And don't worry about your genre. If someone asks what you play just give them a myspace page or somethin. Let the "audience" com eup with a cool genre.
yeah we will definitely need that myspace page... to see people reaction and comments... i thik ill keep telling them (when they ask me what genre i play) that i play a genre of music that blow minds and make heads roll !
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Should be in the bandleading forum.

Anyway, just enjoy yourselves and write what you want to write. If you are writing music that really gets you going it will be better than writing music to please people. I think it would show on stage too. In your situation it'll probably be better to have a few loyal fans than hundreds of people who think you are ok, after all, you aren't going for the mega hit/major label.

As for genres, don't try and fit a name to your music. Your listeners will do that. If someone asks just genrelise [sic] and say your influenced by grunge and metal.
But do you think its possible for a band to come back to an older style like grunge and still be able to perform and do well (ex: living out of it (surviving should be more appropriate in this case)).
I don't recall seeing something like this with any major band (or indie actually) and it seems awkward to me. like while a lot of people are still really into old school rock and roll (led zep and such) i dont see any new band trying to go back to this genre of music. Maybe it just doesn't work. Maybe people feel like you don't belong if you try to go back or they feel like your trying to copy their idol and they don't like it. I dunno.
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
There are a lot of people in this world, and therefore a lot of different opinions. You can't cater for them all. Styles of music, or at least influences from those styles, come and go in popular music all the time. You've just got to take your music out there and find out what the people think.

On another note, Nirvana's Bleach album is being reissued and Alice in Chains have a new album coming out; so maybe it is time to go out there play some grunge influenced tunes!