Page 1 of 2
I'm going to keep this short and to the point.

A couple months ago my band (Birmingham) wrote and recorded a song called selena grace.

Our good friends in another band (In Lights) told us they were writing and ripped off selena grace, and said they sometimes called it the birmingham song.

We laughed about it but told them to change it, then they recorded a song that to us all sounds exactly like our song.

Everyone I've talked to about it agrees, but most have been friends that know both of us, so I want to see what people who don't know either of us think.

It's clearly a rip-off and they would have never wrote anything like this if we didn't first, but how does it sound to you?

Compare here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvnAsURJNss

Also if I included the chorus of their song the same notes that is in the beginning of our song play in the background, the entire structure is the same. pretty much every verse is in copied from out song, but I doubt you'd want to listen to the whole thing aha.

Let me know!
i dont see what im comparing
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
The youtube video. First is the beginning of our song, then the beginning of theirs.
Do they sound similar?
Well you see, both music sounds like other things I've heard before...but seriously.

When you make a song, copyright it. Then things like this don't happen. Or when they do you can get moneys.

copyright.gov

Now then, they do have similarities, and chances are that since they ripped off your songs and admit it before, they did it again just to spite you.
Wow, on an unrelated note, I like the sound of your band. I hear some Manchester Orchestra influence?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Who cares? The second one sounded like crap. You guys clearly have the better song.
They both sound like generic emo wank to me.

But, yours sounds less like generic emo wank, so it's better.

And yeah, they do sound pretty similar.
rip off their songs
actually, dont. their songs probably suck
Quote by crazy8rgood
They both sound like generic emo wank to me.

But, yours sounds less like generic emo wank, so it's better.

And yeah, they do sound pretty similar.

Fuck off. You don't need to put down other peoples music to feel better about yourself.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by soulflyV
Liked the first one better, sounded like Band Of Horses.

They sound similar, but not to the point of being ripped off.

This exactly, except for the part about Band of Horses. Mainly because I don't know who they are.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
This exactly, except for the part about Band of Horses. Mainly because I don't know who they are.

You should learn quick. You'll thank us.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
sounds a lot like minus the bear...but the first one was better I agree.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Quote by stevenpollock
You should learn quick. You'll thank us.

Song/album recommendations?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
pretty sure the one technicality to copywrite is having a recording done is a copywrite. since you recorded it first (assuming you did) you can technically go after them if you really to.

considering that you're not making money off this song. they wont really take this matter all that seriously. sorry to be the bearer of good but bad news.
Quote by zippidyduda
Fuck off. You don't need to put down other peoples music to feel better about yourself.

Who says it made me feel better about myself? That's just what it sounded like to me. I even said that the first one was better. If I was really trying to put it down, I would of just left it at "They both sound like generic emo wank to me."
1st song sounds really good and the second one sounded lame. IMO, even if they did rip you off, someone who listens to both songs prob wouldn't put it together unless they listened to them like this, one after another, because the vocal melodies and drums are completely different.

Also, PM sent.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Gunpowder

Song/album recommendations?

I'll give you songs, since both albums rock.

The First Song
Ode To LRC
The Funeral
No One's Gonna Love You
Weed Party
St. Augustine

BTW The second kid from the back in that second picture in your video looks like Michael Jackson

Oh and I actually liked the first band.

Didn't like the second.

But not similar enough to me. I just heard a good song and a bad song.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Aug 19, 2009,
The drums are similar and they both have a very minimal guitar action (strum, hold........ strum, hold).

Either way, your version sounds better, it's got a nice clean tone, I like the mix alot more and the singer doesn't have emo-voice. You've got nothing to worry about, you're better.
Be Simple, Be Obvious, Be Happy
Yeah they sound really similar. If it makes any difference, your band sounds better.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Did you purposely put a picture of them looking like scene douchebags so you'd get a biased opinion?

Kidding, it is kinda similiar. But accusing them out of court is gonna be hard
Quote by Footallica?
Who cares? The second one sounded like crap. You guys clearly have the better song.

This is pretty much all i could've said.
I'd but the first one,
I'd start a flame war about how much the second sucks.
Plus they're kinda ugly, whereas your band pic was much more rad.

Although, to be honest, I heard the similarity but it's not similar enough to be a rip off for me. If anything you'll just be like a joint uprising in a style.
They've been "inspired" by you... You should be proud, really.
Aha no it was one of the only promo picture of theirs on their myspace.

And most of them have been my close friends for the past 4 or 5 years, which also makes it more of a bummer. Because I totally wouldn't expect this of them, but I wouldn't take them to court.
first band is waaaaaaaay better
can't stand the second one
When the last living thing has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done. People did not like it here."
to be honest I can't hear it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this thread?
you showed the songs, most people said it seems ripped off.
then you say keep the feedback coming. what are you expecting to hear?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
You can hear it much better if you listen to the full second song, the guitar in the chorus is very very similar to the opening riff in the first song and the song structures are identical except for an addition of a pre chorus in the second song and minus the first songs outro. Also drum beat is similar, guitar's come in with fade-in, etc... many similarities
You said you can't hear it, and thats fine, but what are you trying to accomplish coming back?

I'm just looking for more opinions on wether it seems ripped off or not. Sure there are a few, but the more people the more accurate the sample is.
Those emo guys all have the same hair...

Aren't they supposed to be non-conformist or something?
I like yalls song. The second song does sound similar, but I wouldn't call it a total ripoff.
I don't see too many apparent similarities but, good ****. I love your band. Always good to hear some good underground stuff.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
cool story, bro?

but I'm sure you can do something about it, they don't seem very proffesional, and most frauds get exposed

I doubt they're making millions ripping you off, but just take precautions next time,
i would let them keep the song then completely change the sort of music your making. Heard this sort of stuff waaay to many times before and iv not liked any of it.
However, if i was to listen to the second song in full i would kill myself whereas with yours i would simply gouge out one of my eyes so i focus on the pain rather than the sound.
These people don't sound like good friends if they'r purposely ripping you off though you should have words. And in future keep new material to yourself till recorded and you want to gig with it.
Or you could just copy the music from one of their songs then change the lyrics so it's blatantly ripping the **** out of the members in their band and play it at a gig their at
Page 1 of 2