First of all, I'd like to apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I'm sort of desperate. Of course, I would go to Guitar Center or a local music shop to help me out, but I'd like to ask you very generous and helpful people, beforehand.

So, I have questions about my Jackson DK2M Dinky.
I believe that this is the exact model.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-520321-i1445405.gc

1. I've become extremely accustomed to playing in dropped tunings like D, Db, C and B. Now, is it true that regarding the floyd rose, I should purchase heavier gauge strings depending upon how low I want to drop. For instance, if I'm tuning down to drop B tuning, ( B F# B E G# C# ) then I would use 13's. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it correspond like this:

Drop D - Gauge 10
Drop Db - Gauge 11
Drop C - Gauge 12
Drop B - Gauge 13

Right?

2. My second question is about the annoying Floyd Rose system, now... how do the springs in the back work along with the string tension on the front? If I have all the strings pulling the back of the bridge up, should I loosen or tighten the springs in the back or what, and does this depend on the string gauge as well? As you can probably tell, I'm lost, I've had this guitar for about a year now, and probably only used for 5 out of those 12 monthes. The other 7, it's been sitting away, waiting to have the bridge fixed, I want to get this whole Floyd Rose, String Gaugr thing straight.

So, any and all help is appreciated, like I said, I'm very sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot. Thanks again.
Right, string gauge is preference, you may find it easier or not to use very heavy gauges - you will really have to experiment with what you like. Obviously there will come a point if you tune down too far with a too light gauge where you will find the instrument (very) difficult to play due to lack of tension. (Really this is true for all guitars, not just those with FR style systems, it's just a matter of playability, because of tension issues in the strings)

Use your idea as a rough guideline by all means, but don't take it as truth, necessarily.

If the strings are pulling the bridge up, tighten the springs about 1/4-1/2 turn each, then retune and check the level. If the bridge is really up, consider adding an extra spring to the back. (Try not to scratch your finish inside, loosen everything up before adding the spring). If you overtighten, and the bridge starts to dip, don't worry. Just loosen up a bit in small increments until it sits level. REMEMBER to check tuning, because it'll be no use if you get it sitting level and then realise it's out of tune

Remember that all this will affect your intonation, changing gauge, etc, so be sure to fix that before you start playing.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Aug 19, 2009,