Page 1 of 2
yeah. the title says it.

i've played a night train, a TT, a little giant, a handsome devil, an XXX, a 6505 and an AC4. There are endless reasons as to why i am giving up my search for that "perfect amp". Originally i was saving up for a Bugera 6262. But after playing a bunch of tube amps i jsut... i just lost it.

I'm going to sell my blackheart Killer Ant and the 1x12 soon.

I spent the first half of my guitar playing life with solid state amps so i know what most of them are like.

i'm now looking for an audio interface. something that can do both direct into a computer and direct into a PA system.

my budget is 800 USD. i play most kinds of music ranging from cleans like eric clapton stuff, classic rock with led zepp, GnR.

I'm also looking for sounds ranging from metallica (First 4 albums only), megadeth to bolt thrower, cannibal corpse etc...

any reccomendations?
Quote by mexican_shred
PODX3, Boss GT-10?

Both are good choices if that's what you're in the market for.
Cool story, bro.

Get a Vetta II used.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by mexican_shred
PODX3, Boss GT-10?

This, with either a JC or a Keyboard amp/PA

or....

Quote by ch0
Cool story, bro.

Get a Vetta II used.

This.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Definitely get a used Vetta. They're so dirt cheap its a ****ing crime.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by daryle_goh
yeah. the title says it.

i've played a night train, a TT, a little giant, a handsome devil, an XXX, a 6505 and an AC4. There are endless reasons as to why i am giving up my search for that "perfect amp". Originally i was saving up for a Bugera 6262. But after playing a bunch of tube amps i jsut... i just lost it.

I'm going to sell my blackheart Killer Ant and the 1x12 soon.

I spent the first half of my guitar playing life with solid state amps so i know what most of them are like.

i'm now looking for an audio interface. something that can do both direct into a computer and direct into a PA system.

my budget is 800 USD. i play most kinds of music ranging from cleans like eric clapton stuff, classic rock with led zepp, GnR.

I'm also looking for sounds ranging from metallica (First 4 albums only), megadeth to bolt thrower, cannibal corpse etc...

any reccomendations?

Being the VOX fanboy that I am, I really recommend a VOX Tonelab ST/LE/SE. I wouldn't say they're the end-all of guitar multi-effects pedals, but they can do pretty much anything you ask 'em to. You can send the line-out to a PA or right through to your computer's line-in. Heck, you can do both, just not from two separate outputs (or maybe you can? I've only played through them at several stores, I've never researched how many line-out jacks they have).

The only problem is that it isn't tech-friendly. It almost has the same number of buttons and knobs as a Poly Evolver synth. ..that of course is an exaggeration, but for a guitar pedal it's quite a lot.
Boss GT10, POD X3 Live, VOX Tonlabe, Line 6 Vetta II, Bunch of Pedals, ...
They are all great, get one that you feel like getting !
Guitar : Cort X-TH ( EMG 81-85 )
Amp : Marshall TSL-602
Effects : Boss MT-2, Boss NS-2
Well, you should only say you're tired of tube amps when you at least play a good tube amp and not just the ones you listed.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Well, you should only say you're tired of tube amps when you at least play a good tube amp and not just the ones you listed.

i have grown to dislike tube amps because of the realistic feasibility that they possess in many situations. none.

i know that for every tube sound, there is something better, something brighter, something darker, something tighter, something more loose, something with more crunch, something with less crunch, something that's less harsh, something which has intentionally more harshness, something that has smoother breakup, something that breaks up early, power tubes that light up earlier, pre amp tubes that distort faster, preamp tubes that more headroom.

i'm not talking about all that. im talking about how loud they can get in the bedroom. how hard it is to get them around to your live show. and how much it ****ing costs to get tube amps that give you the sound you want.

that's why after dissing modelling technology for years, i have decided to turn to it.
Sounds like you have your sheet pretty figured out. Why not just go around and try a bunch of modeling amps?

+1
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^I think TS is realy through with tube amps^
I'm still not a fan of modelling though.I'd rather an basic old SS with a dist pedal than a modeller.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by stykerwolf
Those are just "eh" tube amps, maybe the exception of the XXX...
Try out a Mesa Boogie, you could find a Dual Recto used if you strech your buget...
OR save up and get a Mark something...

yeah but.... those were ideas and inventions from the old days where you'd have a nice house in a quiet neighborhood... everyone has a garage or a basement where you can put your 100 watt monsters, crank them and no one outside will be affected.

i live in an apartment. i can't tame such a loud monster.

i'm still studying. even if i manage to fork out 1500 bucks and get a recto, that'll only be a few sounds. i need more sounds than that. i want more sounds than that.

it's not about me living like a frog in a well trying out only lower grade tube amps. it's about me being disillusioned with the whole concept of owning tube amps in the first place.
attenuator? are lower wattage that loud for you?
do your neighbours flame you?
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by daryle_goh
yeah but.... those were ideas and inventions from the old days where you'd have a nice house in a quiet neighborhood... everyone has a garage or a basement where you can put your 100 watt monsters, crank them and no one outside will be affected.

i'm still studying. even if i manage to fork out 1500 bucks and get a recto, that'll only be a few sounds. i need more sounds than that. i want more sounds than that.

it's not about me living like a frog in a well trying out only lower grade tube amps. it's about me being disillusioned with the whole concept of owning tube amps in the first place.

Randall RM22 or RM50.....

Any sound you want....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Vetta II would suit you.

Got more money? Axe-FX

These would be nice.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
i think we should stop recommending him tube ideas, he is pretty set,

i recommend looking into a pod x3 live, have it, loving it so far, brought it to a studio one time and it sounded superb through the pa system, whenever i wanna play at night i plug in my AKG m271 headphone and its like i'm back in the studio again, i dorm in the city whenever semester starts and i know tube amps aren't the greatest.
This smells fishy... not because he's completely disenchanted with tube amps, but because several times over both the Vetta II and Axe-FX have been mentioned... without any response from TS, who appears to only respond to posts recommending better tube amps.

TS: Vetta II or save for a Fractal.

/thread.
How about you get an old Peavey Rage 158 and a **** load of pedals?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by GrisKy

TS: Vetta II or save for a Fractal.

/thread.

I concur
or one of the randall module amps
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
I concur
or one of the randall module amps

yeah, I would've thrown those in the mix too, except that they have preamp tubes, and I think that might incite more TS trollage.
Quote by GrisKy
yeah, I would've thrown those in the mix too, except that they have preamp tubes, and I think that might incite more TS trollage.
They can do low volume stuff though, can't they?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by GrisKy

I thought they have both preamp AND poweramp tubes?

Besides, the TS clearly doesn't want anything that can go loud. Or, well, should be played loud. That means tubeamps. You could argue the Zvex Nano wouldn't be too loud, but then again that's no metalamp either.

I suggest you try out the Line 6 Pod X3, the Boss GT10 and the Vox Tonelab and see which one you like the most. I've taken a liking to VST amps in recording recently, but I'd say they're better for recording than playing live (even alone).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
1. TS, "Vetta/Vetta II" really is the "/thread" answer here.
Quote by HoffManCometh
Being the VOX fanboy that I am, I really recommend a VOX Tonelab ST/LE/SE. I wouldn't say they're the end-all of guitar multi-effects pedals, but they can do pretty much anything you ask 'em to. You can send the line-out to a PA or right through to your computer's line-in. Heck, you can do both, just not from two separate outputs (or maybe you can? I've only played through them at several stores, I've never researched how many line-out jacks they have).

The only problem is that it isn't tech-friendly. It almost has the same number of buttons and knobs as a Poly Evolver synth. ..that of course is an exaggeration, but for a guitar pedal it's quite a lot.

I found that the Tonelabs are all noisy as all hell.
Quote by daryle_goh

If your using this for an apartment then you need go with an amp modeler, tube amps are far to loud for home pratice, and really with todays modlers I am more than happy with the tones I get out of my POD for practice and light recording. If your playing live then its a different story, tubes rule the day for the most part.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Regensgeliebte
attenuator? are lower wattage that loud for you?
do your neighbours flame you?

Dude, my 15 watt roland is too loud in this house when it's volume is above 1

(no, not 1 o clock, just 1)

Just goes to show that loud is different for everyone.

On second though, a Fractal Axe FX is good but too expensive, I'd suggest X3 live, GT-10 or a Vetta II with a shortboard.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
i have to agree with you on that .. my bedroom volume is when i dont disturb anyone .. think tv volume not more . »So tube amp are way too loud for this purpose .

i use the microcube ( jc clean channel ) as a head to power a 4x12 marshall 8412 ( the small valvestate cabinet with celestion 35 watt in it ) and ive never crank the volume past 1/4 ...

unfortunatly my pedals doesnt sound as good in my bedroom since a play thorugh solid state .

the way i see thing ...the best option is to go PA instead of tube amp or solid state .

R3FX built a cabinet simulator pedal for 60 $ ....

by sendind it directly in a studio monitor or Active Speakers ( speakers with power amp build-in ) like

Behringer 215a

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR263796

or something similar .

you can get very decent sound .

the r3fx cabinet simulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzSflfp24T8

my dual resistafier pedal throught he cab simulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc6PI2vk3g&feature=related

thats probably the way im going for in the near future for bedroom use. So i can buy good stuff ( pedals ) that i will use later if i gig or start a band but still can use in the home and made them sound good.

so i totally get your point about tube amp being way too loud . i sold a 3 watt tube amp cause it was way too loud for bedroom.
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Axe-FX if you can save, Vetta II plus shortboard if not
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I love my Axe Fx. I fool people with it all the time. Sounds just like a tube amp and has more choices/settings than any other piece of gear on earth atm.
im agreeing with everyone on a vetta, and if you dont want to go used, i've heard the flextones arent too bad.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Tubes are loud?
My 15W Vypyr is already loud at volume at 2.
I can play at up to 6 (of 13; also depending on channel) when the rest of my family is not at home.
And I don't want to crank up the Vypyr too loud because SS amps on high volumes can pretty much hurt your ears (that means that they don't sound good).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Maybe you would like a modulating amp? like a vox VT or some line6 spider valve
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Well, really the Vetta/Vetta II is the best answer here, but if you're looking for something that just takes pedals well with a very neutral pre/power section and transistors in lieu of tubes, try the Roland JC-120.
Page 1 of 2