I just recently got a call about an AWESOME freakin' deal on a Peavey 5150 head sitting somewhere in a pawn shop. 460 bucks! I'm hopefully going to check out this head tomorrow and see if it actually works (460 for a 5150 is already iffy..).

Now, before even pondering the thought of playing through it and maybe buying it, I have to ask. Are the original 5150s better than the 6505s? Peavey claims that the 5150 and 6505 use the exact same circuits. I owned a 6505 quite a while back and for some reason we didn't agree with one another. The tone sucked if it wasn't driven above Post 2 and it was quite hard to squeeze anything non-EVHish out of it.

I know what you're thinking - noone really gets a 5150 unless they want to play metal or Hagar-era Van Halen tunes. But that's not all I wanna play through it.

So, what I'm trying to ask is this, UG:

Have you ever thought of 5150s sounding better than 6505s, and more importantly, were you ever able to get it to do things besides high gain rock stuff? I know there's the old proverb "you can't use the mustang as the family van" but I'm a little short on space in my room and I like to get the most tonal possibilities out of one thing, :P.
I think I heard some where that the 6505 has better cleans than the 5150. But thats an amazing deal you should definitely go for it!
Don't quote me on this, but I a number of people in bands, music professionals, producers etc. Say the older "vintage" 5150s have more low end than the newer 6505s do for some reason.

I know Jona Weinhofen (ex-IKTPQ, ex-Bleeding Through and now in BMTH) prefers them over the 6505s and I think Trivium specifically chose 5150's in the recording of Shogun.

Read some reviews, ask your local Core bands, listen for yourself.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Quote by dunda130
Don't quote me on this, but I a number of people in bands, music professionals, producers etc. Say the older "vintage" 5150s have more low end than the newer 6505s do for some reason.

I know Jona Weinhofen (ex-IKTPQ, ex-Bleeding Through and now in BMTH) prefers them over the 6505s and I think Trivium specifically chose 5150's in the recording of Shogun.

Read some reviews, ask your local Core bands, listen for yourself.

I think I remember hearing this somewhere too. The 6505 already had pretty good low-end, but I wouldn't mind it if the 5150 had more.

I've listened to plenty of sound samples of the 5150, but I can't really place any difference between 'em just by internet samples. I might actually have to stop in and play it myself.

Quote by mikey_360
I think I heard some where that the 6505 has better cleans than the 5150. But thats an amazing deal you should definitely go for it!

Yeah! Even if I don't like the amp but it works, I might buy it anyway.. there's money to be made from something like that.

Anyway, I might get some better sounds out of the 5150 than I did when I had the 6505 - I have a Marshall copy running through 4x12 100w Altecs which sounds fantastic if cranked. I can't imagine what a 5150 might sound like through those! If everything goes well at the pawn shop tomorrow and I like it, I'll come back with some videos showing it off or something.

Here's hoping. (b'_')b
I may have misunderstood your post, but if you could only JUST get Van Halen out of the 5150 then there must've been a dead tube.
Also almost NOBODY buys a 6505/5150 to play Van Halen, these amps are way too heavy to waste time playing lower gain stuff like that.
;D
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
The 5150 and 6505 are the same exact amps

The 6505+ or 5150 II have better cleans as I believe they have a separate EQ for the clean channel.

Yeah, this amp head doesn't sound that great at lower volumes. It's a tube amp. They shine when you crank 'em. Crank it to about 4 and then it starts roaring. If it was hard to squeeze anything non EVH-ish out of it, than either what faux~affliction said or you can't eq worth a damn. Wait, even with crappy eq this thing sound heavy. May have been a problem with the amp.

Dude, you wish the 5150 had more low end? WTF!!?! I think it has plenty enough.

If you're not just into that, there are amps out there that are more versatile, but you can coax some sweet tones out of a 5150.

And $460 for a 5150 head isn't too iffy. I bought mine off of craigslist for $450 and it works like a charm!!

I say do it. Don't know if you will really make that much money off it, but these amps are godly for high gain metal type stuff. And at pawn shops you can always haggle for a lower price.
Alot of times people and professionals do state the 5150 sounds better then the 6505. But its because it never clicks in there head.. 5150's are over a decade old so odds are they have been retubed. Versus the new 6505 they have probably tested out or heard with stock tubes. So odds are yes they will sound a tad bit different and say the 5150 is a bit better because it has good quality tubes slapped in it. The circuits are exactly the same and it is the same amp. The only difference is what tubes where slammed in there and if someone biased it which makes a pretty big difference in these amps.

As far as EVH its gonna be hard pressed to get his brown sound so if thats what you looking for you are correct it wont do it. As for rock, its doable but its going to be loud doing it and its not exactly the best option out there for it.

The amp is pretty much a br00tal beast and thats what its best at..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Alot of times people and professionals do state the 5150 sounds better then the 6505. But its because it never clicks in there head.. 5150's are over a decade old so odds are they have been retubed. Versus the new 6505 they have probably tested out or heard with stock tubes. So odds are yes they will sound a tad bit different and the 5150 a bit better because it has good quality tubes slapped in it. The circuits are exactly the same and it is the same amp. The only difference is what tubes where slammed in there and if someone biased it which makes a pretty big difference in these amps.

Ahhh I never really thought of the swapped out tubes. Makes sense. Do the newer 6505's have an option to bias. I'm sure there is a mod you can do to an older 5150 to be able to bias it....
Quote by MetalHead916
Ahhh I never really thought of the swapped out tubes. Makes sense. Do the newer 6505's have an option to bias. I'm sure there is a mod you can do to an older 5150 to be able to bias it....

Yup, alot of people forget about that one

And yes you have to mod them, the 6505+ has the probe points and a bias adjustment but its pretty much a joke and even cranked only gets you 45% of where it actually needs to be..
Quote by MetalHead916
The 5150 and 6505 are the same exact amps

The 6505+ or 5150 II have better cleans as I believe they have a separate EQ for the clean channel.

Yeah, this amp head doesn't sound that great at lower volumes. It's a tube amp. They shine when you crank 'em. Crank it to about 4 and then it starts roaring. If it was hard to squeeze anything non EVH-ish out of it, than either what faux~affliction said or you can't eq worth a damn. Wait, even with crappy eq this thing sound heavy. May have been a problem with the amp.

Dude, you wish the 5150 had more low end? WTF!!?! I think it has plenty enough.

If you're not just into that, there are amps out there that are more versatile, but you can coax some sweet tones out of a 5150.

And $460 for a 5150 head isn't too iffy. I bought mine off of craigslist for $450 and it works like a charm!!

I say do it. Don't know if you will really make that much money off it, but these amps are godly for high gain metal type stuff. And at pawn shops you can always haggle for a lower price.

You misunderstood me, I wasn't saying that I wished the 5150 had more lower-end. I just said I wouldn't mind if it did have more lower end.

And from what I gather, the 6505 was new and out of the box, so the stock tubes must have been one of the reasons why I didn't like it. I have a friend who's an amazing amp technician, so if the tubes and bias in the 5150 don't do it for me, I'll get 'im to work on that and maybe do a couple of mods on it.

I just wonder if it's possible to not get it to choke if it ain't cranked. The same friend worked on a JMP50 copy (that Marshall I was telling you about) and was able to wire the gain/volume pot into a master volume and it sounds great if you have it above one. Of course, it sounds even better at higher volumes, but it's not worth the trouble my neighbors give me.

Maybe I'll have to think about getting an attenuator.. those old Altecs can't handle a nearly half-cranked 5150.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh
You misunderstood me, I wasn't saying that I wished the 5150 had more lower-end. I just said I wouldn't mind if it did have more lower end.

And from what I gather, the 6505 was new and out of the box, so the stock tubes must have been one of the reasons why I didn't like it. I have a friend who's an amazing amp technician, so if the tubes and bias in the 5150 don't do it for me, I'll get 'im to work on that and maybe do a couple of mods on it.

I just wonder if it's possible to not get it to choke if it ain't cranked. The same friend worked on a JMP50 copy (that Marshall I was telling you about) and was able to wire the gain/volume pot into a master volume and it sounds great if you have it above one. Of course, it sounds even better at higher volumes, but it's not worth the trouble my neighbors give me.

Maybe I'll have to think about getting an attenuator.. those old Altecs can't handle a nearly half-cranked 5150.

Oh ok, my bad

It also could be me. The 5150 is my first tube amp so I have really nothing to compare it to, but a fender fm212 and a fender metalhead half-stack. It was the first amp I owned that drowned out my heavy handed drummer

Yeah, I've never tried one stock. As I said, I got in on the used market and it had ruby tubes in it.

Yeah, see a tube amp is perfect for me. My neighbors don't care cuz they're always bumping their rap music so I turn it to 5 and shred some death metal.

Just try it out. If you don't like it there isn't any obligation to buy it. Since it's in a pawn shop it probably had the tubes changed out already
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, alot of people forget about that one

And yes you have to mod them, the 6505+ has the probe points and a bias adjustment but its pretty much a joke and even cranked only gets you 45% of where it actually needs to be..

My JSX and 6505 actually had a MUCH wider bias sweep than I suspected/expected.
My JSX would actually go up to 52mA!
I was using a multimeter and bias probe from Eurotubes (the easy one with the tube adapter). My 6505 would go up to 40mA, which wasn't bad at all. You could begin to redplate the tubes! I think it really depends on the individual amp and pot as to how high you can bias it. Evidently, they are all a bit different. Which I would have never thought.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
My JSX and 6505 actually had a MUCH wider bias sweep than I suspected/expected.
My JSX would actually go up to 52mA!
I was using a multimeter and bias probe from Eurotubes (the easy one with the tube adapter). My 6505 would go up to 40mA, which wasn't bad at all. You could begin to redplate the tubes! I think it really depends on the individual amp and pot as to how high you can bias it. Evidently, they are all a bit different. Which I would have never thought.

I could be wrong but im 100% sure the 6505 doesnt come stock with adjustable bias. And the 6505+ is nortorious for not going up past maybe 18ma..
I've only played the 6505+ so I'm not your guy to help compare the two but here is another idea:

Budget?
New or Used?
Combo or Stack?
Home or Gig?
Genres? ......(What kind of music DO you play?)
Current gear?
Closest City?

And welcome to UG
Cool news, guys, I just got back from the pawn shop with the 5150 in tow. They didn't have cabinets to try it out there, so I took a gamble and just bought it as-is without hearing through it. I tried it out here at home through a small 50w Bulldog speaker and it sounds great! If I actually had to get this thing modded, I'd get a noise reduction circuit installed just so the hum dies down a bit. I'll post some vids or pics soon.

Onto a different topic since I don't want to start another one: My MXR Carbon Copy Delay is getting weirder by the day. The thing is that when it's on and nothing is being played, you can hear the static being delayed and building feedback, which sounds REALLY bad (I have my mix around 25-40% so it's really noticeable). Through the 5150 it's even worse since all these static frequencies carry distortion and it sounds like a wailing siren. Even if my regen settings are low it still does this.

Can you guys think of anything that's wrong with it? I'm not an electronics fanatic so I wouldn't know what to fix if I had to open up the pedal and mess around with the wiring.
I've got a Carbon Copy and if the Mix and Regen are down then I'm not sure outside of getting a noise gate. Have you tried the CC up front. That's where mine is at the moment.

Congrats on your purchase. I take it head and cab were matched. Can we get some pics of this beast?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've got a Carbon Copy and if the Mix and Regen are down then I'm not sure outside of getting a noise gate. Have you tried the CC up front. That's where mine is at the moment.

Congrats on your purchase. I take it head and cab were matched. Can we get some pics of this beast?

Hahaha, no, I didn't get a cab with it. 450 for BOTH the head and cab? That's like committing a crime!

I've got a fantastic pine cabinet with four 100w altec speakers in it - my Marshall JMP50 copy is sitting on it, but I think I can make some space! I'd like to do you one better and record videos of the rig when I get it set up later, but I can't record in my room. I will get pics up for sure, though.

As for the CC, I tried it in both the effects loop and then going right into the amp itself. Surprisingly, it sounds better in front than in the effects loop.. I get a bunch of pops, crackles and hisses when it's placed in the effects loop.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 19, 2009,
I bought my 5150 combo for $350, and all that was wrong with it was the mid pot was broken. I put high-gain JJ ecc83's in mine like a dumbass, and had one bust a couple of months later. This amp is very particular to what tubes you put in it. I've read on other forums about very successful tube combinations, but I can't recall them atm. I'd agree with some people here, though - this amp is definately intended for metal, which it does very well.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I recently took everything out of my loop (except Volume pedal) for the hell of it and it sounds fine up front. Phaser is up front too. Otherwise, like said - get a noise gate for the loop.

And no, I realize you didn't get the cab as well for $460 lol. I was just checking to make sure your ohms were matched bro.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I recently took everything out of my loop (except Volume pedal) for the hell of it and it sounds fine up front. Phaser is up front too. Otherwise, like said - get a noise gate for the loop.

And no, I realize you didn't get the cab as well for $460 lol. I was just checking to make sure your ohms were matched bro.

Noise gate or not, it doesn't exactly solve my carbon copy delay problem. It's a nice temporary solution but definitely not the end-all.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I got my ohms matched. Even if it isn't matched, it sure sounds and seems fine.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OK dude.

If your CC is still not working the way it should then start a new thread.

I also suggest you post in the 'Gear for Post Rock Thread'

Always Match tube amp heads to speaker cabinets.

that is all...

Yeah, no kidding. Really though, I know that my 4x12s are 8 ohms and I always have my amps set to that when playing through 'em.

Given that most people won't read the newer posts when responding to this thread, I'll start a new topic about the CC.. I'll garner more suggestions that way, anyway.
Congrats on the deal! I got mine for 650, and I was told it had been re-tubed. I don't think the extra lows(real or imagined) the original 5150 has is necessarily a good thing. I'd rather not compete with the bass player for frequencies.

I'm not sure what my amp is biased at, but its not enough to red plate at any volume I've used. I don't think I've ever gotten it above 4. I think fja offers a mod that cuts the wattage in half. I'd be interested in that.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.