what are the pros and cons of tune-o-matics and strat style hardtails?
still planning my build (lol just saw some other guy get flamed for taking ages =/ eek)

there's three options -
recessed TOM, string through
recessed TOM, stoptail [this would have to be recessed, yes?]
Strat type hardtail, string through

which is "best"? for the record i have played guitars with each style, and they all feel nice under the hand for me, so comfort isn't an issue =]
Strat type hardtail is the easiest to get right, but looks naff IMHO.

Regular ToM is easy, as long as you angle the bridge properly. You'll need to use near a 12" radius on your fingerboard, though.

String through ToM is a bit more work, but fine if you're patient. It looks great and sustains well, but you'll have a bit more string tension than with a regular ToM.. probably not enough to actually notice, though, and you could negate that by putting the ferrules in the same area as the tailpiece would be.

The other option you've not listed..... Wraparound ToM bridge.

IMHO:

Tune-O-Matic bridges are more comfortable than hardtail fixed bridges. Also, they look better, and are easier to maintain and adjust. Oh.. and string-through TOM setups look awesome.

Quote by -MintSauce-
Strat type hardtail is the easiest to get right, but looks naff IMHO.

Regular ToM is easy, as long as you angle the bridge properly. You'll need to use near a 12" radius on your fingerboard, though.

String through ToM is a bit more work, but fine if you're patient. It looks great and sustains well, but you'll have a bit more string tension than with a regular ToM.. probably not enough to actually notice, though, and you could negate that by putting the ferrules in the same area as the tailpiece would be.

The other option you've not listed..... Wraparound ToM bridge.

IMHO:

Tune-O-Matic bridges are more comfortable than hardtail fixed bridges. Also, they look better, and are easier to maintain and adjust. Oh.. and string-through TOM setups look awesome.

Sorry to jack OP, but:

Mintsauce.

Regarding non Trem bridges.

Can you explain the pro's and cons, differences etc from wraparound, non wrap around, tail pieces, string through and so on?

How they function (where they string to, adjustment etc) and so on?

I don't know if that is a super complex question or not, but...I don't know teh full answers and I would like to.

If you prefer to PM me, cool. If you prefer not to bother, that is cool too

Cheers
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
hmm its for a tele like guitar... i really dislike tele bridges, but i think the strat type can look good if its done right - my tele has a chrome one, but its nicely accented because the screw and springs are black
i'm not sure a string through TOM would look right, no idea why
and a TOM with a tailpiece would probably look kick ass, as per the ja-90 tele
here are the mock-ups

are there any real differences in that elusive 'tone' lol?
and price as well - looking at WD music
Gotoh hardtail - 30 quid
Gotoh tailpiece and tune-o, about 32 quid
Ferrules - dirt cheap, but presumably there'll be a different more rounded sort for a string through TOM top ferrule

EDIT: and i don't like wraparounds, no idea why
and can someone shoop a hipsot baby grand on there? i don't think it would look right, but they are wicked cool =]
Last edited by lozlovesstrats at Aug 21, 2009,