I currently have:

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401/ Epiphone LP with Gibson '57 reissue standard and standard + pickups. Getting a Gibson '59 Custom Reissue soon.

I'm looking to upgrade the speaker to a Vintage 30, OR build a cab, with some sort of speaker or another.

I'm wondering what people's opinons are on what would produce the best tone. I play punkish/emoish music along the lines of Senses Fail, among other bands.

I DON'T scoop the mids.

Thanks for your posts!
Last edited by Ashenblue at Aug 19, 2009,
Forgot to mention:

I also run a Boss OD-20 pedal through the front, and the DSL401 has a Celestion Gold Back 75w speaker, stock.
Gigging or not?
If your gigging,having a great big quadbox pushing all that air can really cut you through the mix.If your just jamming with friends though,there's no point in having the hassle of a quadbox.If your a small fella like me they ARE a two man job to carry.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Not gigging at the moment, probably won't for a while. I guess I'm just questioning my speaker choice and looking for the best tone possible, looking for ideas on speaker to use.
2x12 combines the best of both worlds.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You're not gigging and you're getting a 59 LP Reissue? This does not add up. But like the guy above me said, go 2X12 if you need portability. Most sound much bigger than a 1X12 and they are much easier to carry than a 4X12.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 20, 2009,
Yeah, I don't gig right now, never have, but I would like to. I've been playing off and on 10 years, and 2 years consistently. At the moment, I have a band but they just aren't able to practice much, not enough for shows. Despite this, I'm a guitar enthusiast and I practice at least 2 hours a day.

By the way, I'm mostly looking for speaker choice reccommendations. Thanks
I appreciate the suggestion of getting a 2x12, though, I might have to build that instead of the 4x12 cab.
You should get some neodymium Jensen speakers, and pm me the results lol.

I was debating going all neodymium (pups and speakers in my sig)...but I don't know man, pretty risky.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
If you're building a cab, I would recommend getting this book. http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=12

It's in Canadian dollars too, so we Americans get it for 2 bucks cheaper. If you want to build a 1X12, I'd follow these plans and use the EVM12L it recommends. That's a ****ing incredible speaker IMO and if you use anything else the cab won't live up to it's full potential and could sound downright horrible since it's designed around the 12L.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Thanks, I'll probably order that book pretty soon. Looks very helpful, and information out on the internet is spotty and conflicting.
I don't know a whole lot about speakers, I've just started out with gathering decent equipment, really, what brand is the EMV12L?

Also, is Eminence any good?

And I was told that Celestion is decent, but not really the best you can get, is this true?
It's an Electro-Voice speaker, aka EV and EVM is their musical instrument division. I believe the EVM12L is all they make now though. And they aren't cheap, I believe $229 a pop. Eminence are good, especially if you're on a budget. Celestion are good too but overpriced IMO. If you want a Celestion, I'd go for either a Scumback or Weber instead as both make a higher quality Celestion voiced speaker. The Weber's are priced lower than the Chinese Celestions and they're American made. The Scumbacks are more than a Chinese Celestion but less than a British Celestion.

EDIT: Holy ****. I just went to the Weber website and Ted died last Friday.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 20, 2009,
Thanks, I wasn't even aware that some celestions were made in China!
How do you tell what you're getting?

Also, would you reccommend the Redcoat series if I went with Eminence, and if so, which one?
Quote by Ashenblue
Thanks, I wasn't even aware that some celestions were made in China!
How do you tell what you're getting?

Also, would you reccommend the Redcoat series if I went with Eminence, and if so, which one?

All of the Celestions except the Alnico and Heritage series are made in China. The EVH may be British but I'm not sure. It's pretty much a standard G12M anyways. If you were to go Celestion, I'd probably go V30 unless you wanted to spend the $200+ on a Heritage G12-65. If you were to go Eminence, I'd go Private Jack, Red Fang, Governor, and maybe the Tonespotter. The Red Fang is $169 though and if you're gonna spend that much I'd just go for Scumbacks instead. The others are all under $100.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT