Hi. I practice a few different techniques everytime I practice (usually around half an hour each) but I've decided to focus more on a single technique each week to spend more time on it, (I'm gona work on my downstrokes this week). I'll still practice the others to a lesser extent for the certain week, but I'm just after advice on how long I should focus on a single technique per day to see a good, steady rate of improvement? Appreciate any input on this. Cheers.
just practice everything for about 10 minutes a day. if you push it to much you wouldn't improve at all. Just have patience and discipline.
Don't just practice techniques, make sure you're also playing stuff that utilises them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How would practicing LESS help me to progress? I'm also aiming to increase my speed....
I do. For example, I practice my downstrokes using some metallica, slayer riffs etc. I'm relaxed and becoming more comfortable with techniques, but how long should I be practicing something to increase my speed? I'm not looking for miracles, I dedicate a lot of time to playing and I want to utilise my practice time the best I can....
I increased my downstroke speed by playing cromatics with a metronome. Master of puppets for example is 210 bpm, and chances are you cant play that full speed. What I did was playing cromatics together with a metronome starting from 140bpm, and then increase speed by 5 as soon as a felt comfortable. On a certain point I reached 210 bpm after playing 2 hours that day. I played MoP and I was happy. Next day I had to start from 180bpm again and increase speed again. Its a long (boring) road but if your looking for speed increase it does work.

Dont focus on speed only tho, if the rest of your technique isnt good enough then you will never be able to push it (playing tight not sloppy) to 210 bpm.
I'm happy with my technique and I'm pretty comfortable around the 180 mark. You mentioned 2 hours. U think it would be beneficial to dedicate this time to a single technique each day?
Quote by youngangus69
I'm happy with my technique and I'm pretty comfortable around the 180 mark. You mentioned 2 hours. U think it would be beneficial to dedicate this time to a single technique each day?

It totally depends on how much you play. Atm I play approx 6 hours a day, and doing cromatics with a metronome is just something I do while watching tv or reading. If you got 2 hours a day to practice I wouldnt recommend it. Anyway your speed will improve aswell while practicing different techniques, not only by doing cromatics. Hope this helps.
Forget speed, it's not something you need to worry about - if you concentrate on doing everything else right speed takes care of itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Really appreciate u taking the time to reply. I get about 4-5 hours a day so I think a couple of hours a day focusing on 1 technique could be beneficial. Like I mentioned, I'm gona change week in week out, whilst stil practicing other stuff (albeit not for as long). It makes sense, just hope I acheive positive results! Thanks for the input.
Quote by steven seagull
Forget speed, it's not something you need to worry about - if you concentrate on doing everything else right speed takes care of itself.

I tell myself that, but the thing is - I am doing it right. But my speed progression dosn't seem to reflect the time I put in....
Quote by youngangus69
I tell myself that, but the thing is - I am doing it right. But my speed progression dosn't seem to reflect the time I put in....

It will eventually as long as you practice well and consitently. Speed takes years to develop, you won't see any real progression over the course of anything less than a few months at the very least.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.