Not sure if this would go in the stickied composition thread, if so, then delete this one, but anyway, how do you guys write most of your songs? Like, give a breakdown or something.

I think for me, unless it comes all at once, i might make a little riff which i think sounds nice, but then i get stuck trying to follow it up, so i put the guitar down for a little while, then when i come back to it i start working on something different, but then without even realising i find i have made something that could fit onto the first piece i made with a little bit of modification to it, then any other bits like the bridge or interlude i either use the same method or take another part of the song (bassline or something) and modify it to be used there.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I have a growing collection of random riffs that I've made because no matter how much I try, I can't seem to come up with anything that fits with them.
i was thinking exactly about the same thing recently.
my answer is that i take different approaches to "write" songs. the most usual way of mine is playing around on the fretboard and while there's something that strucks me, i have to go to work or simply leave the guitar.
i'm still thinking about the riff/intro/verse/chorus or whatever i came up with during that time. that's what i like - i never know where will the specific piece end up in the future song. i come up with melody or idea how it could continue and i can't wait to get back home and try it out.
i do some modifications and some thinking, trying to apply my poor knowledge of music theory
or i take approach similar to yours or i make the song at once just playing for myself at park while my dog's chewing on a stick it really depends...
i write simple songs though.
i have one song in workings where i have a 3 chords in order, but i can't decide which derivations of them should i use so i'll put it aside for a while and maybe later my music tastebuds will get know what they want
normally i'll play(invent) a whole bunch of stuff at once then keep playing it over and over till i've run out of ideas, then record/tab(whatever i feel like) it then try to arrange it, then modify riffs - have a beer come back a bit later and see if i still like it
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Quote by leephan
I have a growing collection of random riffs that I've made because no matter how much I try, I can't seem to come up with anything that fits with them.

try to figure out chords to them. take the note which you like most out of a riff and make up some chord progression. it's maybe too simplistic, but it can work out.
Quote by g0dd4rd
try to figure out chords to them. take the note which you like most out of a riff and make up some chord progression. it's maybe too simplistic, but it can work out.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Quote by leephan
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

no problem. let me know whether it worked or not. and send the result
for me, it helps if I keep humming the riff and then trying to stop humming and see what groove comes next.

then quickly pick up the guitar, pick the notes fast and come up with the next thing very loosely. it doesn't work 80% of the time, but hey, that's how songwriting is
I am trying a new way of writing songs where I compose the melody first. This way, my choice of progressions seem more interesting because the melody can be in several keys, You can combine them and come up with cool key changes. It is also more difficult because it get frustrating when the melody doesn't gel with any progression lol.... it takes me many tries to get a progression coherent with a melody.
Sometimes i acually just event some riffs/melodies i keep playing (in my head, and afterwards try to explain it to my band how the song should go and so on (Since i cant play an instrument, and im doing the Vocals). Afterwards i also let my band mates and so give it critics and give me some ideas how to improve it. Otherwise i acually just write songs that are based on fantasy themes, not to brag, but i find my self pretty creative mentally, haha.
First make the music, then adjust some lyrics to it. I think it's easier that way.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by MapOfYourHead
i come up with a phase, riff or melody.

then theoretically expand it.
me too.
i've never really written a song. i do have a collection of riffs, licks, chord progressions and just about everything in between. my teacher and i both agree that it's better to just keep learning how to play the guitar rather than attempting to write ****ty songs.
I have only written one song and it's not even finished yet... to check it click the link in my signature but what I did was I was just improving with a drummer. and came up with a little chord progression of Emin DMaj CMaj. Very basic then I changed it up a little to what the start of my song is... Then I expanded even more on this to create the next passage then using the little theory I know I harmonized that part. Then I kept creating stuff with the same key that I thought would fit.

Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i've never really written a song. i do have a collection of riffs, licks, chord progressions and just about everything in between. my teacher and i both agree that it's better to just keep learning how to play the guitar rather than attempting to write ****ty songs.

Well I disagree and think you should rethink this... How are you going to become a good song writer when sucking at writing songs. Just because you can play guitar doesn't mean you are good at writing or have the ability to write there is a balance. Just because you can play 200bpm doesn't mean anything if you can't play something interesting say at 100bpm. That's just my opinion though do what makes you happy
Last edited by Myung'sMusicman at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
You should give it a go - its fun, you learn loads and its really rewarding. Just don't expect your first song to be a work of genious - any more than you would expect to play like satch the first time you picked up a guitar
I start by playing or thinking of a riff that I think sounds good.

Then I try to imagine how the song would sound in my head. My mind somehow comes up with ideas that sound the best for the other part of the song. If you don't get what I am talking about, I just let the song "flow," then write down whatever idea comes up.

Then there is the solo. This manages to come naturally as well. I just have to remember the idea I thought of and write it down.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I usually write one of two ways. Either I find something theoretically interesting and make a piece on it, than follow the same idea and make a full song, or I'm inspired by something and use everything I know to express what that inspired in me.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.