Hi there,

Im pretty noob when it comes to guitar tech, so excuse me if Im gonna say anything stupid. I recently got myself a Gibson Les Paul studio, I took it over an ibanez. The Gibson felt/sounds better to me, but there is one thing... It doesnt have a floyd. Now thats not really a big problem, I love it anyway. But I was wondering if it was possible to put a floyd on my gibson? If its possible is it even smart to do? or will it affect the sound of my guitar (greatly)?

Does anyone have a experience with a Les Paul with floyd rose? If im gonna do it, I will let it be done by some pro guitar tech. And let him put a killswitch at the same time. Even tho lots of you will say just do it yourself, i really am afraid to harm my gibson. Does anyone know if Guitar techs ask alot for those kind of 'mods'? I got like 300 euros to let it be done, and thats beside the cost of a Floyd.

Really hope you guys can help,

Bye
dont do it!... retrofitting a floyd into a les paul requires getting a huge hole cut into it... and if it goes wrong, bye bye gibson
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
You can get floyds which fit on the tune o matic things.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
dont do it!... retrofitting a floyd into a les paul requires getting a huge hole cut into it... and if it goes wrong, bye bye gibson

this.

and cutting a hole in it will affect the tone for the worse imo.

I don't think there's currently anything with the bend-range and stability of a floyd on the market that can be retro-fitted to a les paul without completely ruining it unfortunately.

edit: ^oh, maybe there is. i was not aware of this!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Dude52
or you should check out the stetsbar you dont need to make any holes

http://stetsbar.com/stop.tail.html

i don't think the stetsbar has as much bend range as a floyd does it?

i mean, i know from experience of my prototype trem that someone fitted to my G-400, that a regular tune-o-matic bridge with heavy whammy abuse is a very bad idea and you need roller saddles, preferably locking, because the tune-o-matic was simply not designed to be used like that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I agree with getting a Stetsbar I have tried one and they work well without harming the guitars body. A little expensive IMO but you can loose more money by destroying a Gibby's body by routing it for a Floyd. I used to collect nothing but Gibsons and it killed me when people modded their guitars because it devalued them quite a bit. Save the old bridge and tail piece so if you ever decide to sell it it will hold some value. If you sell it you could actually and I recommend it it take the Stetsbar off sell the guitar as original and sell the Stetsbar separately. It can be used on other guitars with the same bridge set up.

John
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Sell your Studio and get an Axcess

But be warned they are ****.

Why are they ****?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Blompcube
i don't think the stetsbar has as much bend range as a floyd does it?

i mean, i know from experience of my prototype trem that someone fitted to my G-400, that a regular tune-o-matic bridge with heavy whammy abuse is a very bad idea and you need roller saddles, preferably locking, because the tune-o-matic was simply not designed to be used like that.

How much pitch range does the Stetsbar have?
Different string gauges will have an effect on the amount of up and down pitch that can be achieved.

On a .009 to .042 gauge the open low E will have over an octave drop and perhaps more depending how it is set up. You should achieve about a third up on the up side.

Please keep in mind that heavier gauge strings will work the unit harder and less range will be achieved. It is recommended that .011 thru .048 gauge are the heaviest gauge used. Generally speaking we would rate the Stetsbar pitch change capability as similar to that of a well set up USA Fender Stratocaster style tremolo.
and the newer version The Stetsbar Pro II development splits the pitch movement of the Stetsbar into seperate up and down actions. This enables the Stetsbar to handle string breaks without detuning, support alternative drop tunings and manage higher string guages.

The stop-tail Stetsbar's cosmetic appearance has also changed with the square base plate replacing the rounded base as the standard offering. These bases are available in gold, nickel, chrome and black.
I checked out stetsbar, it looks really nice. really enjoyed the sound of some demos on youtube. But it seems reather difficult to set right? Any idea how much a pro guitar would charge me for it? How long would he be busy setting up a stetsbar?
I agree with getting the Axcess. They're about £2000 - £3000 but if you ruin your LP you just wasted nearly a grand.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
They used to make floyds specifically for LPs, but if you find one it'll probably be really expensive, and you'll have to pay a tech to rout it and everything also.

A Kahler might work better, but I'm not sure if they have one that will work on your studio.

Quote by JesusCrisp
Why are they ****?

IIRC, they were pretty much like a normal LP, but the tone was affected because of the holes needed for the floyd, and the claims of it being easier to reach the upper frets were bullshit
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by In The Mist

I f Alex Lifeson did it, then it can't be wrong.

Yeah but Alex Lifeson has tons of money, the best guitar techs, and a couple dozen les pauls to replace that one if its screwed up. Also Alex Lifeson is awesome.
No offense TS but you are probably not as awesome as Alex Lifeson.

And i support the axcess idea
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Don't do it, it kinda ruins the best aspects of the Les Paul. Its sustain, and its amazingly deep tone.

Edit: From what I've read on these forums, the stetsbar is prone to breaking strings, its not uncommon for them to break 5-6 in one day apparently. I'm not sure if this applies to all models, or just the stetsbars for a certain type of guitar but be careful.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Last edited by Guitar2theface at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by In The Mist

I f Alex Lifeson did it, then it can't be wrong.

Doesn't look completely routed though, I don't think it's floating.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Doesn't look completely routed though, I don't think it's floating.

It also looks like a flat-top, which would be easier to rout for a floyd.

In all honesty i'd just get an Agile and replace the trem. I hear some of the Axcess guitars don't even have the Floyd installed well.
Get a Kahler 2200. They're expensive, but they're designed for arch-tops such as Les Pauls.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
This is what it breaks down to:
  • Stetsbars are ****, pure and simple. Barely any more range than a Bigsby, tuning stability about the same as a Bigsby, murders your sustain and tone worse than a Floyd and eats up strings in minutes - it'll even snap low E .48 strings within 24 hours. One of the worst pieces of hardware around, unsurprisingly mine is sitting at the bottom of a river now.
  • Gibson LP Axcess is the worst guitar I've ever had the misfortune of playing, and I'm including in that guitars in the sub-£100 price range.
  • If you want a Les Paul with a Floyd, get one of the ESP models, or wait for the Kramer models to come out.
  • If you're a bit of a dab hand at setting these things up yourself, you could order a Les Paul body routed for a Floyd form armoth too. Bear in mind that you'd then be dealing ith a bolt-on neck and of course being Warmoth you have to put it all together yourself, so this isn't an option for the inexperienced.

Quote by Pac_man0123

In all honesty i'd just get an Agile and replace the trem. I hear some of the Axcess guitars don't even have the Floyd installed well.
They don't, on two of the Axcess' I tried, the baseplate of the Floyd would clip the sides of the routing. It says a lot when the manager of the store itself told me to not bother testing them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

They don't, on two of the Axcess' I tried, the baseplate of the Floyd would clip the sides of the routing. It says a lot when the manager of the store itself told me to not bother testing them.

Where do you think i heard that?
you could get a bigsby! those are pretty nice.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Pac_man0123
Where do you think i heard that?
... Well played.

Quote by diceksox1809
you could get a bigsby! those are pretty nice.

If he wants a Floyd, a Bigsby isn't going to get him anywhere near what he wants.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hi there, You can now buy a Floyd Rose designed for a Gibson Les Paul. No Routing Required! Just search " Gibson Floyd ROse " and you should find one for ONLY $375.00 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250499943426&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

There's usually 2 or 3 for sale every week! It's a cinche to Install and NO DAMAGE AT ALL TO YOUR GIBSON!!!!!!

Comes with a Kahler lock nut so you don't even have to drill holes for the FLoyd rose lock nut!

Does anyone have a experience with a Les Paul with floyd rose? If im gonna do it, I will let it be done by some pro guitar tech. And let him put a killswitch at the same time. Even tho lots of you will say just do it yourself, i really am afraid to harm my gibson. Does anyone know if Guitar techs ask alot for those kind of 'mods'? I got like 300 euros to let it be done, and thats beside the cost of a Floyd.

Really hope you guys can help,

Bye
Last edited by LuthierGuy5150 at Sep 21, 2009,