I'm new to stacks and stuff. If I have a cabinet that is 200 watts, does this mean that if I played a 100 watt head through it, it would be louder than if I played a 100 watt head through a 100 watt cabinet? Or does it just mean that the 200 watt could handle more power and isn't any louder. Thanks in advance.
David
it can handle 0-200 watts, it wont be louder
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Would it make no difference? I once heard someone mention the break point of the speakers, would that be any different in a higher watt cabinet. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob to stacks, I've played only combos up until now.
A 100watt cab will be pushed much harder than a 200watt cab by 100watt head. If the 100watt head overdrives then it would (i think) push out more than 100watts and could damage a 100watt cabinet. Pushing a cabinet harder does give it more guts, but I don't know if the 100watt power rating would make a huge difference in this way (I simply mean that when I've played 5/15 watt heads through 412's they havent been as good as through most lower rated cabs)
it doesnt matter if it is a combo or cab, they work the same way

well if you are into heavier music you dont want your sound to become loose, it'd be as tight as possible
if you play blues that kind of loosy distortion is good for your tone, average 30 watt tube amp breaks speaker in at 5-7 volume (speaker wattage is around 30-70 watts for 30 watt tube amps)
also number of speakers affects how much wattage they receive and thus how early break point is

oh **** i feel my english was awful here
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid