What is the benefit of having your guitar in the correct tuning? That should be extremely obvious.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
so the **** your playing sounds like the **** your playing?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde

it sounds better, and guitarists who dont know how to tune their guitar, well uh....
Last edited by Benjami at Aug 19, 2009,
Do you mean learn how to tune a guitar, as in the method of doing it? Or learn how to tune a guitar by ear?

If you're reffering to the former, then yes, of course it is important to learn how to tune your guitar, otherwise it'll be forever out of tune and nto worth playing. It's a neccessity.

If you're reffering to the latter, then no, I suppose it's not imperative that you learn to tune, but I'd recommend it. Nowadays, you can just use an electronic tuner to help you tune your guitar, but learning to tune by ear means you can tune your guitar without hvaing to go and find your tuner before playing; it's also good ear training.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Because if you want to become a real musician, you're going to need to learn how to trust your ear to tell you what you should be playing. Good luck sounding remotely good if your guitar is out of tune. If you don't want to learn by ear yet, get a digital tuner, but for God's sake yes tuning your guitar is important and required.
Quote by Benjami

agreed
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Yeah it's good to tune your guitar I can't tune it exactly by ear but can tell when it's out and then get it close to being the right tuning. It helps if you can do that
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Quote by Smokey Amp
Do you mean learn how to tune a guitar, as in the method of doing it? Or learn how to tune a guitar by ear?

If you're reffering to the former, then yes, of course it is important to learn how to tune your guitar, otherwise it'll be forever out of tune and nto worth playing. It's a neccessity.

If you're reffering to the latter, then no, I suppose it's not imperative that you learn to tune, but I'd recommend it. Nowadays, you can just use an electronic tuner to help you tune your guitar, but learning to tune by ear means you can tune your guitar without hvaing to go and find your tuner before playing; it's also good ear training.

+1
In answer to just the thread title, yes, it is VERY important to learn to tune a guitar; How you learn to tune it, whether it be by an electronic tuner, by ear, or tuning it to a piano, or whatever, is up to you. If you don't learn to tune your guitar, it will sound bad. There's no way around tuning. You have to do it, despite how much you don't want to.

Just tune your guitar to standard, and leave it there if you don't want to tune it. You'll still have to do minor tuning every now and then to make sure it doesn't go flat/sharp. I'm guessing that you're just starting to learn how to play guitar, considering you just joined this month, and the question you just asked. Just so you know, if you're trying to learn to play, and your guitar is out of tune, whatever you're trying to play won't sound like you're trying to play; and the point of guitar is to make music enjoyable to the human ear, which starts at...being in tune.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Okay then, you should tune using your electric tuner your guitar then; don't worry about not being able to tune to perfect pitch by ear, I still can't do that, and I've been playing guitar for 3 years and been in concert band (clarinet) for near 7 years. I can tell whenever it's out of tune though, usually when I play songs that I play a lot though. Don't worry about being able to tune by ear at this point in time though, just use your electric tuner, there's nothing wrong with that.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Soorry guys about my ignorance i'm just a Newbie in Playing a Guitar, and i don't have a formal lesson thats i'm asking about this thing, thanks to those who posted the answer to my question
definitely important. being just a little out of tune can make the best guitarist sound like they've never picked up an instrument before. if the guitar goes out of tune a bit while you play it's fine, just keep a tuner sitting around and retune between songs or during practice. just takes a couple seconds.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by coolDram
Soorry guys about my ignorance i'm just a Newbie in Playing a Guitar, and i don't have a formal lesson thats i'm asking about this thing, thanks to those who posted the answer to my question

No worries man, we all were like this at some point in time. And to everyone who is giving sarcastic/rude remarks...don't. really. You may be entertaining yourselves, but the most you're probably doing for him is demotivating him. And when you're new, demotivation/being made fun of is the last thing you need.

That's my soapbox for the day...I spose.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray