Well my question: Which would you prefer for band playing and some gigs? Half stack or combo(of course the combo has at least 30 watt tube/ 50 watt SS)?

(A short question.. can you play a Head on its own?(for practicing))
ehm, and how are you supposed to get sound? directly out of vibrating tubes?
you need a cabinet. unless you want to blow your head

i'd choose 1/2 stack because tubes seem to be more durable in heads than in combos
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Aug 19, 2009,
i would say if your gigging a half stack would probably be more helpful, depending on the size of the venues you are playing.

and no, you need to use the cabinet with the head
I'd prefer a halfstack.
BTW, what do you want?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Combo's are usually cheaper but I believe half stacks are louder. However if you are mic'd up then the volume is not important.

In cases Combo's can have better tone with a closed back like the 5150.
How many people are playing to? Will you need the amp for other applications? Jamming with a band, bedroom practising, etc. Do you have transport? Do you have solid funds?
Halfstack..

Casters for easy portability
Head sits on top for easy access and portability
Closed back or open back option
Better bass response
Better sound projection
More options and configurations
More durable
Less to no tube rattle
Versatility
For simple jamming with a buddy, or a little band practice in the drummer's basement, a combo is better just because of portability and size in those situations (if it's 30watts or under).
But when getting louder, or in a gig... and everything else, a half stack. IbanezPsyco has pretty much stated the reason why.
And you never really know if you'll always be mic'd up. If you're in a venue, most likely. But there's always those outdoor places and whatever situation where there'll be nothing to mic you up.

And to be honest, a halfstack does look pretty cool. If people say they don't care about looking cool, they're lying... at least I think so. If you can get a half stack, and that's what you want... why not?
It reminds me of the stap-hight subject. "I don't care about looking cool, I want to play well" Well, by wanting to play well you're actually wanting to look cool in terms of music instead of image. I mean, play where you're comfortable, and remember that people want to see a show (and that means "looking cool"). If they wanted just perfect audio, they'd stay at home and listen to the album/record.

/rant. Sorry for the off-topic drift, ha.
Can't you connect a combo to a cab? If so you will get alot of the benifits of a half stack aswell as more speakers.
Quote by mikey_360
Can't you connect a combo to a cab? If so you will get alot of the benifits of a half stack aswell as more speakers.

on some combos yes, although whether you can connect an external cab and still use the internal speaker(s) depends entirely on the amp.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Half stack with tubes.

solid state half stacks just seems to me like you want to have a half stack but you don't want it to sound good (just an opinion).

I've had many many combos before I got my half stack. I've gigged with both. I'd say the combo was easiest for gigging since it's all one piece and can be ready quick. But now I'd never ever go back to combo. The sound you can get out of a tube stack is worth any headache you get from setting it up and carrying it around.
A half stack is way more than you need for most gigs especially if its mic'ed. Especially if its tube. A combo is much easier to get in a car and move around as well. I wish a thousand times I had held out for the TT combo rather than buying the head and cab separate.
Quote by fretz86
A half stack is way more than you need for most gigs especially if its mic'ed. Especially if its tube. A combo is much easier to get in a car and move around as well. I wish a thousand times I had held out for the TT combo rather than buying the head and cab separate.

i would say head+2x12 is alot easier to carry... weighs less can can carry seperatly...

and if you have a 212 at home and say a 4x12 at your drummers house well you can just take the head and leave the bulky cab where it is
I like both combos and half stacks. They both have their place. If you're in it to win it (going to stick with playing guitar and be changing/upgrading heads over the course of your playing career), it's always nice to start out with a sweet Celestion/WSG/EV loaded cab. You can always swap/buy new heads but a great cab can last, well almost forever.
if a head and a 4x12 is a 1/2 stack does that mean a head and a 2x12 is a 1/4 stack ....??
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I like both combos and half stacks. They both have their place. If you're in it to win it (going to stick with playing guitar and be changing/upgrading heads over the course of your playing career), it's always nice to start out with a sweet Celestion/WSG/EV loaded cab. You can always swap/buy new heads but a great cab can last, well almost forever.

I agree. I have 3 amp heads, 4 cabs (4X12, 2 2X12s, & a 1X12), & 2 small combos, & I like being able to switch up cabs. The combos are nice for ease of transport, but I always prefer the separate head/cab just to mix things up. I always keep my cabs, no matter which heads I decide to run. As stated above, as soon as you can afford a REALLY NICE cab, BUY IT, & keep it forever. Tone Tubby has 2X12 & 4X12 cabs that even have 3 separate inputs, so you can use one side of the cab or the other (great for mixing speakers), or both sides of the cab all together.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Combo.

- A half-stack owner
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Blompcube
on some combos yes, although whether you can connect an external cab and still use the internal speaker(s) depends entirely on the amp.

Dude your from Hereford? :O

I never new there was someone on UG so close
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
Quote by drewfromutah
Do like I did. Get a combo and when you need more low end or a bigger sound, get a cab for it.

This, + quite a lot
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?