Ive been trying to learn songs such as Last Kiss, Wish you were here, and ill follow you into the dark (dcfc) and the whole songs are simple 4-5 chord songs, but its not just simply strumming the chords, its the chord but different strings are strummed at a time.

Now I can get the general tone of the songs by just strumming and focusing on the areas of the strings that need to be hit at certain times, but I was wondering do you guys out there really slow it down and try to focus on only hitting the two or three strings that are meant to be hit at a time? I find it really hard if I try to focus like this and plan out my up and down strokes, when I can just have at'r and it sounds just fine even though I may be hitting an extra string or two

oh and I can pick single strings no problem, alternating, string skipping etc, its just when 2 or 3 are added into there I find I lose speed.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Aug 19, 2009,
Nah you don't really need to. It feels more naturally and less robotic if you just let it flow. Dont hit all the strings, but dont focus on hitting only the ones it tells you too. Make it your own, dont just copy strumming patterns
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Here are some examples I guess since you dont know the songs.

I got these from the guitar pro tabs on here, I noticed a lot of the text tabs just play single strings instead of multiple at once, but I know the multiple strings gives it a much fuller sound

last kiss:

E||---------------3--L-----------|----------0--L-----------|
B||---------------3--L--3--3--0--|----------0--L--0-----0--|
G||------------0-----------0--0--|-------0--------------0--|
D||------------0-----------0-----|-------2-----------------|
A||------------2-----------------|-------2-----------2-----|
E||--3---------------------------|--0----------------------|

-------------------0-----|----------2--L--0-------|----------3--L-----------|
-------------------1--0--|----------3--L-------3--|----------3--L--3--3--0--|
-------0--0--L-----0--0--|-------2-------------2--|-------0-----------0--0--|
-------2-----------------|--0----0----------------|-------0-----------0-----|
--3----3--------3--------|------------------------|-------2-----------------|
-------------------------|------------------------|--3----------------------|

the Ls mean a tie, I exported from guitar pro and it includes the note values but I removed them for simplicities sake.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
well **** I guess if a question doesnt involve something about master of puppets or sweep picking you dont get a decent answer in this forum

*sigh*

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Its all about phrasing and dynamics...the chord in question is a G, but you're putting more emphasis on the different individual notes of the chord at different times, similar to how you sound each note of a chord separately in an arpeggio. But as mentioned above, concentrate more on making the music your expression rather than trying to get each strum 100% correct.

Sorry dude, I would have replied earlier but I've been offline for a bit. Okay, I think I understand a bit more what you're referring to now so if you're strumming a G Major chord for several bars you might hit the top three strings on one strum and the bottom three on another (let me know if I'm not on the right track If you're trying to get a song down strum for strum I would definitely slow it down. The slower you play a song when you're practicing it, the faster you'll be able play it later on.

I would also recommend, though, that you don't worry about playing a song precisely as it's played in the song (as the others above have recommended). It often will sound more personal that way
Not a problem chad, thanks for the reply too. I was mainly referring to the other 100 indentical threads a day that always seem to get 1000 replies.. it seems the threads with REAL questions get overlooked a lot of the time here.

Maybe its just me.

Thanks for the replies

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Yeh dude, don't try and copy that exacly. The most important thing in strumming is the groove.

As long as what you play sounds like what its supposed to, who gives a **** if you hit some extra notes? It will always help to hold down the entire chord though- that way, when you hit an odd string it won't sound out!
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yeh dude, don't try and copy that exacly. The most important thing in strumming is the groove.

As long as what you play sounds like what its supposed to, who gives a **** if you hit some extra notes? It will always help to hold down the entire chord though- that way, when you hit an odd string it won't sound out!

oh, of course im holding down the whole chord

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
hey Glen, I think I am in a similar zone to you when it comes to finger picking, are there any other good techniques or tips for learning to play these more quickly. I find I have to slow right down and it ruins the flow of the tune.